Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Kahr CW9 Striker Spring Replacement - Side Panel Torx Bit

I replaced my striker spring today with a Wolff 5 lb. version. I will have to test out the trigger feel at the range later. It feels nice dry firing...

I polished the striker as well since I had it apart.

There were a LOT of machining chips in the internals of the slide where the striker rides. I guess they don't do too thorough of a job cleaning everything during assembly at the plant. If your Kahr seems to be having light strikes you might want to check and make sure you don't have a lot of junk/chips in there.

I also wanted to check the trigger bar to see if the spring it rides on was wearing it, or if it would benefit from a polishing. The Torx head screw requires a very small Torx - a T6. The screw was nice and tight. I have heard of these coming loose on other Kahr polymer frames. When you replace it DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. The screw just uses the plastic, not a metal fitting.

A little nub also holds the side panel onto the frame - in other words the side panel will not just fall off when the screw is removed.

Looks like the trigger bar could use a little polishing where it rides on the spring under the grip panel. I will get to that another day.
    Last edited by falcn; February 1st, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: terminology corrections
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kahr CW9 Sear Spring Replacement - Side Panel Torx Bit

I don't have a trigger pull gauge to see the difference quantitatively but a very quick trip to PMSC on the outdoor range popping the speed rack targets showed that the gun was fully functional (I didnt screw it up! )

No light strikes on any of the 50 rounds I put down range.

Subjectively it feels better - a little less effort - but it still has the long travel so it is not any easier to accidentally fire if the trigger just gets bumped.

I do note that the trigger pull is probably mostly effect by the striker spring (it has to retract the striker on each pull against the striker spring) but also is effected the pigtail spring on the trigger itself.

No one makes a replacement trigger spring, and I don't think I would go messing with it to make it any lighter
    Last edited by falcn; February 1st, 2010 at 08:45 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone