Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: New Blair County Sheriff: NFA friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I wouldn't try to gloss over the details. Possessing any NFA firearm is a felony, unless you've done everything right. It's not a trial & error sort of activity.

A trust exists only on the paperwork you drafted. Corps and LLC's exist as long as the registration hasn't been revoked by the state; the corporate or LLC paperwork after that is necessary to determine who is entitled to possession, but errors in corp/LLC operating agreements or charters/minutes won't invalidate your entity.

Whatever you do, make sure that you THOROUGHLY understand the pitfalls. Any mistake is probably a felony, if you're in possession without a perfect paper trail.
    I'm kinda stuck as to what to do here. From what this thread goes through, the Sheriff wont sign, Altoona PD is "looking into it", and now this trust idea doesn't look too smooth?

(Blair County)

Sheriff Cooper is the former Altoona PD Deputy Chief of Police. He held that position for 7 years and was in the dept for 26. Maybe this helps to explain his reluctance to sign these forms?
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by F16vipers View Post
    Sheriff Cooper is the former Altoona PD Deputy Chief of Police. He held that position for 7 years and was in the dept for 26. Maybe this helps to explain his reluctance to sign these forms?
    Not sure what this has to do with any thing. Legal NFA weapons rarely show up in crimes. I tell you one thing I dont care if a monkey runs against him. He will never get the vote of me, anyone in my family, and the majority of friends. I have also heard he is jerking around people with there LTCF. It is not something I have heard first hand. So it is a rumor. I hope some one can clear that rumor up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I'm kinda stuck as to what to do here. From what this thread goes through, the Sheriff wont sign, Altoona PD is "looking into it", and now this trust idea doesn't look too smooth?
    Trusts are legitimate vehicles for estate planning that includes NFA firearms. Corporations and LLC's are time-tested vehicles for "legal person" ownership.

None of them are absolutely, guaranteed foolproof. If you move and fail to inform the government of the new business address, or if you leave the state and fail to make provisions for continuity, if you ignore correspondence from the Dept of Revenue...you can screw up your lawful possession. For that matter, if you register the NFA firearm in your own name and travel out-of-state without filing a form, you can screw it up, too.

There are serious penalties for violating the NFA, so just be sure that you know what you're doing. It's not like letting your driver's license expire, where you can just go renew it. These are felonies if you don't jump through the right hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Trusts are legitimate vehicles for estate planning that includes NFA firearms. Corporations and LLC's are time-tested vehicles for "legal person" ownership.

None of them are absolutely, guaranteed foolproof. If you move and fail to inform the government of the new business address, or if you leave the state and fail to make provisions for continuity, if you ignore correspondence from the Dept of Revenue...you can screw up your lawful possession. For that matter, if you register the NFA firearm in your own name and travel out-of-state without filing a form, you can screw it up, too.

There are serious penalties for violating the NFA, so just be sure that you know what you're doing. It's not like letting your driver's license expire, where you can just go renew it. These are felonies if you don't jump through the right hoops.

Roger that, thanks

I think the moral of the story is if you have a NFA item don't go blabbing it to everyone, keep it locked up at all times when not using it, and when in use go straight to the range and back. Make sure your vehicles all legal, and don't speed or go through any DUI checkpoints. In other words, keep under the radar.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Lt. Krug, of APD, has been signing the forms.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    .. I have also heard he is jerking around people with there LTCF.
    I'm getting mine renewed this week. I'll post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie351 View Post
    For most people, this is the way to go, then. There are complications to having a lawyer create a legal entity that will own your NFA toys, and expenses, and additional legal hoops to remember if you travel or move, and unless you really need those entities to accomplish your goals, they are unnecessary. Save the legal fees, put it towards ammo.

If you can't get the signature and directly own your toys, THEN choose between the mechanisms available.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie351 View Post
    Last time I talked to him, he had no idea what the heck I was talking about, so, I gave up, after verifying he had my contact information and had stated "I'll get back with you once I've looked into it".... I am firing off my paperwork (and Check) today to the lawyer drawing up my trust. I've had it.

Krug supposedly was signing off Form 1s when I last talked to him. Runaround. Sheriff supposedly signed off a couple Form 4's right after assuming office. Runaround. I'm done with both offices.

I would expect this kind of crap in Filthadelphia, or Pittsburgh, Not Blair County, but, after hearing (from credible sources) the attitudes of some of our local chiefs of police, who apparently don't like the idea of citizens having certain toys...(that also depends on the "quality" of type of Citizen) -that scares the crap out of me, and, I've had it.
    Last edited by GLHX2112; November 9th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

I know for a fact Lt. Krug signed at least one form 4 in late July. A friend of mine had me look over his form for a Serbu Super Shorty (AOW); it was signed by Krug. My guess is that since he and the sheriff worked together at one time that the sheriff has convinced the LT not to sign. An LEO I talked to says the sheriff is worried about liability issues. I think what a state constable told me is more accurate. The sheriff told him that people don't need those weapons.

I still think the best advice is a trust from a lawyer experienced in NFA.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast