Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Kimber

Are Kimbers worth the money? They look nice but are they durable, accurate and reliable?
    [SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Question about Kimber

I have two and believe they are worth the money. My first one (full size) is dead on accurate and 100% reliable straight out of the box, never had a problem. My 2nd Kimber took a little breaking in and smoothing out (a 4" model), but after that, same reliability and accuracy.

I can do 1-hole groups all day long at usual hand-gun distances (unsupported in <30 ft or so. Come to think of it, I've never shot a handgun supported with anything other than my hands).

I like'em!

Default Re: Question about Kimber

Personally I haven't found another gun out there that I like as much as my Kimber. Literally it feels (and shoots) like it was custom made for me.

DCTURNINGINTOAKIMBERADDICT

(York County)

(My Opinion) Nice guns but not worth the money.Plastic mainspring housing and some cheap internals.Have owned two and probably would not buy another.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Are Kimbers worth the money?
    No. There are much better guns for much less money.

They look nice but are they durable, accurate and reliable?
    Yes, except for certain small parts, usually yes, and generally no.

I have yet to have a good experience with a Kimber. I've owned one, shot a bunch owned by friends, and the experience has been universally bad.

In terms of durability, the slide, frame, and barrel don't wear any more or less than other 1911s in the same price range. They seem to use a durable finish that holds up well to holster wear and general bashing around. The problem with durability seems to be with the small parts and improperly fitted large parts. I've watched friends snap safety levers off, I've seen plunger tubes unstake, and seen more than a couple with hammer follow. There are also fitting issues (much more common than parts simply breaking) -- loose or improperly timed grip safeties, loose or two stage safeties, crunchy triggers, and improperly fitted barrels.

In terms of accuracy, they're just fine. Well above average, usually.

In terms of reliability? Dreadful. Any of the above breakage issues will choke up the guns. I've seen FTFs due to improperly reamed chambers, FTEs due to improperly tensioned extractors, and off center machining of the breech face. I've never shot or owned one that ran 100%. When I shoot IDPA, 9 times out of 10 when a competitor's gun chokes, it's a 1911. 9 times out of 10 when a 1911 chokes it's a Kimber.

If you're in the market for a 1911, look to Springfield. The parts and build quality are worlds better. And they're cheaper to buy -- a couple hundred less for models with equivalent features. Other good choices would be STI or S&W, in that order. But the top of the heap in terms of out of the box factory guns? Springfield, no question.

If you're in the market for a factory "custom" ($2k and up)? Les Baer, Ed Brown, Springfield's custom shop, Wilson, or Dan Wesson.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Monroe County)

well theres one way to look at a Kimber, its the only good thing about guns to come out of New York.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lawrence County)

I've seen many of above issues with Springfields (but the TRP is one of the best deals for the money these days).

1911's, in general, need some tweaking on a semi-regular basis that most shooters can do with a little research. Both my Kimbers would feed empty casings from the magazine with a little polishing and extractor tweaking. Tens of thousands of rounds through them. Kimbers are hellaciously tight guns and unless you lube them hard and smooth them up they are notorious for problems during the first thousand rounds.

That being said, the base model Kimbers are just as accurate as the expensive models whereas I think the upper level Springers have more attention to detail than their lower level offerings.

LycanFWIWthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

I do not own a Kimber but am planning on purchasing one. I frequently shoot a friend's 1911 pattern Kimber and am impressed with its accuracy, frankly I shoot his gun better than any of my own. No complaints for reliability but this is just range day stuff so the gun is always nice and clean and conditions are good.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(Chester County)

My user name is a dead giveaway!

I love Kimbers and would buy another in a heartbeat. I have a Pro Covert and a rimfire model. The covert has over 2000 rounds through it and will shoot any ammo I've had in it, including some wadcutters and reloads. (Use hardball for the first few hundred rounds to break-in.) Magazines don't seem to matter, though 8 rounders (KimPro Tac Mag or Wilson ETM) send the brass flying further away than 7's. FYI - Kimber recommends periodic recoil spring replacement, and I concur.

My only complaint (and minor at that) is that their "Series II" features a firing pin block similar to the Colt Series '80, and I would prefer the "Series I" (Series '70) style without that feature. When shooting, you won't notice it; I just prefer fewer moving parts. They also use full length guide rods on many of their 5" models. The SIS does NOT have that Series II feature.

The rimfire is nearing 8000 rounds and I would probably be able to say I've never had a malfunction were it not for some excessive wax/lube on a batch of ammo. Kimber says "high velocity" and quality ammo. They will most likely tell you that means CCI Mini-Mags. NO STINGERS!!! (The case is actually longer than a .22 LR.) Everybody that shoots it wants to buy one!

Accuracy is first rate in both handguns.

A lot of their handguns have lightweight frames, so you need to be sure to use a firm grip - limp-wristing will assuredly lead to the associated feeding failures.

Don't forget to clean your magazines periodically.

A 1911 related personal experience note vis-a-vis small parts mentioned above: Decades ago, I was taught to release the slide by depressing the slide stop with the left index finger. I replaced slide stops about every 1000 rounds because the inner tip that catches the magazine broke off. After reading the directions on the Kimbers, I now release the slide (on all my weap--, errrr firearms) by pulling it completely to the rear and releasing it. I haven't replaced a single slide stop since.

I have heard that Kimber HAD some quality control issues years ago, but the employees rectified that matter either through a buyout or persistently advising management. In addition to the two I own, I have shot several other Kimbers, in Custom (full size), Pro (commander), and Ultra sizes, and would not hesitate at buying or carrying another. I also believe (yes, my perception) that many dealers don't like Kimber because their product may be hard for them to obtain (or because they remember the bad days).

Right now, the Crimson Carry is far and away the best bargain. I don't know who has Kimbers out in your area, but Classic Pistol in Southampton seems to usually have some in supply. Hanover or Stonybrook maybe?

(Delaware County)

My first (and so far only) experience with a Kimber (and 1911's in general, FWIW) started out a bit rocky and has developed into a man crush of epic proportions. My dad bought a Kimber Warrior as his first handgun and promptly left for Florida for 4 months, leaving it with me to break in. The first 300 rounds were a little disconcerting, especially to a guy who is used to Glocks. I came here and asked a couple questions, got a couple asnswers, and its been perfection since. Feeds anything I feed it, crazy accurate, so much fun to shoot and carry. I would buy another in a minute, in fact I am thinking of a Covert Carry right now. I would just go into it this time aware that it may need tweaked.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast