Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default AR-10 sources for build

I'm seriously thinking about building an AR-10 type rifle. With all this AR-15 talk on here, and the desire to have a home(land) defense rifle, its starting to eat at me. I would have considered an AR-15, however my personal opinion(please, no debates) is that the 223/5.56 is lacking for the given duties. I know the 15's can be had in greater chamberings - but ammo costs for those can much higher as compared to bulk mil-surp stuff like the 308/7.62.

Much appreciated is info on suppliers of any and all parts for an AR-10 build, including 80% receivers. Linkage to reviews and articles is desired as well. Alternative build of an M14 type rifle is being considered too.

Please post pics of your AR-10, M14, and FAL rifles if you have'm.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AR-10 sources for build

I've been planning an AR-10 build for quite some time now. I can't seem to set aside the money I need to get started. I have a stripped Eagle Arms AR-10 lower, but that's it.

For you, I think it will depend on what manufacturer you like to go with. I believe Bushmaster is no longer making the BAR-10, but there are other companies out there that are making .308 caliber AR's. I'm not sure if their parts are totally interchangeable. I happened to come across a deal on a stripped Eagle Arms lower a few years ago, so I'm going to keep my build strictly Armalite/Eagle Arms.

Most parts from Knight Armament are interchangeable with the AR-10. Knight parts are pretty expensive these days though.

I helped a friend build a couple of FAL's. They're a little more difficult to build than an AR-10 and you need some special tools. The parts are cheaper but that's offset by tool costs.

Keep an eye on the equipment exchange at Arfcom. Some good deals on parts pop up there occasionallly.

(Jefferson County)

I'm in the same boat as you in regards to funds. I cant save up to buy a rifle out-right. But I could pick up a piece here and there. ..not in a hurry to have my final rifle anyways.

I'll check out the places you mentioned. Thank you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

I got worse for me once I decided exactly which direction I was going to go. Initially, I was going to build a plain jane carbine, but then I saw a Knight SR-25 for sale at a gun show and decided I had to have it, or at least something as similar to it as I could get. A longer barrel, a float tube with rails and a good scope added to my costs significantly.

(Philadelphia County)

Question...

where are you getting cheap mil-surp .308?

So far as I know, the market is quite dry and they are starting to go for $0.50 to $0.80 a round.

If you go the FAL route, I believe I have all the tools necessary to build one, and we could definitely work something out.

I have a Century Franken-Fal and I love it.

Other than that, don't shy away from the .223, especially if you live out in the country, and need protection from Feral Poodles.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; August 20th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

carefull of the poodles man, they are evil especially mine.

Eagle Arms/Armalite is the only company right now offering lowers. You need to define the term "build" with regards to AR15s or AR10s. To some a "build" means they buy a complete upper and mate it to a complete lower. To others, it means building from a stripped lower and upper.

I'd also warn you of trying to build an AR10 with Eagle/Armalite parts and using some DPMS LR parts. AR10's are not mil spec, so those companies are using propietary parts.

I will give you an example of this....I wanted to buy the Badger handguard for my DPMS. I called Badger and they advised me that the nut that was sold with the AR10 handguard would not work on the DPMS. Badger offers the correct nut for my DPMS, but I had to spend an additional $50 on the part. So now I have a unless part that sits.

The Bushmaster BAR10 is a POS, so stay far away from them. RRA bought the rights back from BM and will be coming out with their version. I've heard many people recommend RRA's rifle and it's not even available, so they might know something the rest of us don't know. I personally would steer clear of the RRA version until they work out all the bugs. It doesn't matter how inexpensive FAL mags are, if the RRA rifle does not function.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Question...

where are you getting cheap mil-surp .308?

So far as I know, the market is quite dry and they are starting to go for $0.50 to $0.80 a round.

If you go the FAL route, I believe I have all the tools necessary to build one, and we could definitely work something out.

I have a Century Franken-Fal and I love it.

Other than that, don't shy away from the .223, especially if you live out in the country, and need protection from Feral Poodles.
    Ok, maybe I should have said cheaper as apposed to more expensive hunting ammo. Bulk 30cal bullets and 308 brass can still be had for cheap(er) at times.

I already gave a .223 that does well on the <50lb critters, including feral poodles. The 308 being needed for larger, sometimes better protected critters. ...that and a SHTFG.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Eagle Arms/Armalite is the only company right now offering lowers. You need to define the term "build" with regards to AR15s or AR10s. To some a "build" means they buy a complete upper and mate it to a complete lower. To others, it means building from a stripped lower and upper.

I'd also warn you of trying to build an AR10 with Eagle/Armalite parts and using some DPMS LR parts. AR10's are not mil spec, so those companies are using propietary parts.

I will give you an example of this....I wanted to buy the Badger handguard for my DPMS. I called Badger and they advised me that the nut that was sold with the AR10 handguard would not work on the DPMS. Badger offers the correct nut for my DPMS, but I had to spend an additional $50 on the part. So now I have a unless part that sits.

The Bushmaster BAR10 is a POS, so stay far away from them. RRA bought the rights back from BM and will be coming out with their version. I've heard many people recommend RRA's rifle and it's not even available, so they might know something the rest of us don't know. I personally would steer clear of the RRA version until they work out all the bugs. It doesn't matter how inexpensive FAL mags are, if the RRA rifle does not function.
    Build = soup to nuts, from the ground up, one screw/pin at a time if need be as I have spare funds or if by chance I happen to have the funds for a complete upper/lower - I'd go that route too.

Yeah, I've heard some have proprietary parts - which I'm sure will pose some problems.

(Allegheny County)

I HIGHLY rec. that you shoot Aubbie a PM and see if he is still interested in selling his.

You will save a LOT of money and in return, get a proven rifle. If I didn't just buy a handgun I would have been all over his, and if he still has it in a couple of weeks (it doesn't seem like he is really trying to sell it right now), I'll buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    I HIGHLY rec. that you shoot Aubbie a PM and see if he is still interested in selling his.

You will save a LOT of money and in return, get a proven rifle. If I didn't just buy a handgun I would have been all over his, and if he still has it in a couple of weeks (it doesn't seem like he is really trying to sell it right now), I'll buy it!

Thanks for the kind words. I haven't even posted it for sale on this forum because I was just gaging interest.