1st AK build (and AK) for me. All matching Romy G kit built on a NDS-3 receiver. The gold old days of $65 parts kits are gone, but I found one for $200 shipped and thought why tf not.

There are lots of BIYAK threads out there so I'll be brief. Homemade rivet tooling shown is out of 2x2x1/4 HR steel angle from Lowes (cut chunks of angle into flat pieces as needed) Making the tooling with only a hacksaw, bench grinder and drill press and “dremel” took most of the time of this project, but, since I had these tools already- no cash outlay.

Didn't invest in a press, had a steering wheel/gear puller laying around which I used to remove barrel from front trunnion, a BFH & punch to pound out barrel pin, much later I pulled barrel back on with 2 foot piece of all thread, nuts, washers plus the piece on the left of the tooling photo which contacts the trunnion in the right spots. I bought the Harbor Freight bolt cutters and ground them into a front trunnion rivet squeezer and it worked well (several web sites will tell you how to do that). The holes in the NDS-3 matched the Romanian trunnions almost exactly; used a half round needle file to tweak one front pair and one rear pair. Remember to use a countersink bit on receiver holes for swell-headed rivets; Arizona Response Systems has an excellent web site with this and many other tips for building. I took her out late today with only one box of ammo and she shot well.

As a 1st build project it was not a real cost saver, especially after paying for receiver and 922(r) compliance parts (FCG, pistol grip and muzzle brake) Maybe I saved $100 vs buying a Romy G outright (assuming $425 for Romy G after shipping & transfer fee), and then you have to figure in your time and labor. I did it more for the challenge and learning experience, and masochism.

Maybe this thread will inspire other noobs. I've pasted an omnibus BIY info link below
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61255