Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default A moral obligation of gun owners...?

As firearm owners, we preach self defense and disdain vigilantism, nevertheless, we also understand that simply walking by someone getting beat to death by a group when you're armed is selfish.

But it also makes me think... Say 2 people break into your house, armed with baseball bats or knives or something. You get your shotgun and get their attention and tell them to get the hell out of your house. They turn 180 degrees and book it. Cool... You're safe now right?

Right... But what do you think those 2 are gonna do afterwards? Probably not volunteer at a soup kitchen. Maybe you scared them enough that they'll take things easy for awhile, but ultimatly, these 2 are just gonna go break into another house, and maybe this house isn't a gun owner... Maybe someone dies that night.

Clearly, by law, we can't go around executing every criminal that holds us up for our wallet... but clearly, by moral, letting them slip away is just relocating our problem to someone else.

What can we do to make sure that this criminal doesn't repeat what they attempted to do that day? Maybe a taser or other less than lethal device? Are we even ALLOWED to impede the fleeing process of a criminal?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: A moral obligation of gun owners...?

And how long until you get arrested/shot/executed/etc for being a potential danger to society because you're a gun owner and have the POTENTIAL of shooting someone? Maybe we should call the pre-crime unit at Minority Report?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    And how long until you get arrested/shot/executed/etc for being a potential danger to society because you're a gun owner and have the POTENTIAL of shooting someone? Maybe we should call the pre-crime unit at Minority Report?
    Oh wow, you're slinging shit already?

There's a big difference between the potential of a legal firearm owner to commit a crime and the potential of someone who just performed a crime to commit another crime. Are you saying that criminals fleeing from a crime scene don't deserve to be brought to justice?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I think you just completely jumped over the left field fence...
    III%

(Delaware County)

The best thing would be call 911 immediately if someone enters your house that way if they do run out they might have a chance of stopping them if you can give a description. I would have the 911 operator on the line immediately so it's recorded and they know my life was in grave danger if I need to defend myself and family.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    The best thing would be call 911 immediately if someone enters your house that way if they do run out they might have a chance of stopping them if you can give a description. I would have the 911 operator on the line immediately so it's recorded and they know my life was in grave danger if I need to defend myself and family.
    That's all you can really do.

Honestly, if someone breaks into my house with bats/knives ... there is a very high likely hood of them getting shot.

I don't use a shotgun for HD so the sound of a shotty racking isn't going to scare them away. All my HD guns are loaded with one in the chamber. If they see me and advance then that's a threat on my life.

If the see me and run away. Calling 911 w/ description and the direction they run will happen ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Westmoreland County)

Get the police on the phone quickly, give them a description of the BGs, any vehicle they may have gotten into, and the general direction they fled in. Done.

You've saved your own life tonight, you are not responsible for the lives of the BGs potential future victims. It is their responsibility to prepare as you did, and take their safety into their own hands. A judge, jury and executioner type mentality pretty much equates to vigilantism.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Get the police on the phone quickly, give them a description of the BGs, any vehicle they may have gotten into, and the general direction they fled in. Done.

You've saved your own life tonight, you are not responsible for the lives of the BGs potential future victims. It is their responsibility to prepare as you did, and take their safety into their own hands. A judge, jury and executioner type mentality pretty much equates to vigilantism.
    Good answer
    III%

(Monroe County)

It seems that "Moral Obligation" may have been misconstrued, for "Personal Responsibility".....
    YES, YOU and everyone else has a "Personal Responsibility" that is .....to protect yourself, and your family.

Untill Pa. adopts the full CASTLE DOCTORINE as law we will still be at risk, both our safety and liability, while in our own homes.

Calling 911 is a double edged sword, as anything recorded in "the HEAT of the moment" ,........"CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU", by the D.A. trying to advance his career and make good press. All while keeping the children safe.

Well, the SHEEPLES kids anyway, because they don't/won't comprehend this type of "Personal Responsibility".

Yet, these same SHEEPLE are the ones voting to add more gun laws and restrictions, that will not affect their unused rights, only YOURS.

What id like to do is to hold them at gun point till the police arrive ( dont count on it ) but i guess im living in dream world

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast