Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Trigger "Pull" On Smaller Guns

I've been doing a lot of shooting with my Sig P250 subcompact lately, and I've noticed that my trigger pull (right-handed) is actually "pulling" my shots slightly to the left. However, this isn't a problem on the full size P250. Has anyone else experienced this problem on smaller handguns? If so, does anyone have any advice other than practicing until it goes away?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Trigger "Pull" On Smaller Guns

I have this on my Kahr if I don't pay attention to trigger finger placement and making sure I put my thumbs in the right place on the frame of the gun under the slide.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Susquehanna County)

Try using the first 1/3rd of your fingertip to squeeze the trigger. Trigger pull should be straight to the rear as should be the pressure from your forefinger and ring finger only (no pinky). If you're using a two hand grip keep pressure from the second hand going through the same two fingers and again straight to the rear. Do not applay sideways pressure with your thumb(s).

BTW this works with all pistols and revolvers.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by psublue View Post
    I've been doing a lot of shooting with my Sig P250 subcompact lately, and I've noticed that my trigger pull (right-handed) is actually "pulling" my shots slightly to the left. However, this isn't a problem on the full size P250. Has anyone else experienced this problem on smaller handguns? If so, does anyone have any advice other than practicing until it goes away?
    Knowing what's going wrong is the first step to correcting it so you are well ahead. Trigger control can't really be developed just by more practice. The practice has to be right or all you're really doing is practicing what's wrong.

Try this . . . step one: dryfire against a blank white target. Focus your eyes and your mind solely on the front sight as you slowly squeeze the trigger and do not allow sight alignment to change at all right through the trigger break. Do it perfectly -- no compromise -- perfectly! even if you have to go really slow at first to get it right. When you can do it perfectly, allow your hand to "memorize" the feeling of how to manipulate the trigger without screwing up the sight alignment by practicing that over and over -- that's the practice you want.

Step two: live fire against a blank white target. Same drill as above. Make sure you don't squeeze tighter in anticipation of recoil. Set your grip and your wrist and then get down to the shot. Stay with that front sight right through the shot breaking and then follow through. As above with dryfire, the blank target allows you to fully concentrate on nothing but that front sight and proper sight alignment as you control the trigger.

Work the above into your practice routines and you will get perfect at it over time.

Step three: put up a target and shoot bullseyes. You are done.

Perfect practice makes perfect.