Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (McKean County)

Default Carry loaded in a vehicle

I am new to this forum. I got in a discussion with a friend in Venango County.
    We both have PLCF's, mine in McKean and his in Venango. He bought a shotgun with the intent to use it for protection in his vehicle. He questioned the Sheriff's Dept. about carrying it loaded in his truck. The Chief Deputy read through the pertinent statute and replied in his opinion it would be illegal even with a PLCF. He also added that the Sheriff or District Attorney may have a different opinion. I checked out the statute, which seems to confirm my interpatation that the PLCF only relates to pistols. The reply of the Chief Deputy has us confused, can any one help on this?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carry loaded in a vehicle

Game laws forbid loaded longarms in vehicles...and a shotgun is a little hard to handle from your seat.

Short barrel shotguns do fall under the LTCF...

(York County)

I think this should give you the answer you are seeking:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1: Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

No loaded long arms allowed in a vehicle.
    Lawful SBR's and SBS's are allowed with a LTCF.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by penelec04 View Post
    I am new to this forum. I got in a discussion with a friend in Venango County.
    We both have PLCF's, mine in McKean and his in Venango. He bought a shotgun with the intent to use it for protection in his vehicle. He questioned the Sheriff's Dept. about carrying it loaded in his truck. The Chief Deputy read through the pertinent statute and replied in his opinion it would be illegal even with a PLCF. He also added that the Sheriff or District Attorney may have a different opinion. I checked out the statute, which seems to confirm my interpatation that the PLCF only relates to pistols. The reply of the Chief Deputy has us confused, can any one help on this?
    The Chief Deputy is correct. It is not legal to have loaded long arms in a vehicle. As an aside, it's not a real great idea to leave any loaded firearm in your vehicle all the time.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Adams County)

What the heck is a PLCF ? Haven't heard that misnomer yet...

And I agree with the others (lucky for me) that a long gun may not be carried loaded in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    What the heck is a PLCF ? Haven't heard that misnomer yet...

And I agree with the others (lucky for me) that a long gun may not be carried loaded in a vehicle.
    I'm guessing Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms?

It's better than CCW or CWP
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(McKean County)

Thumbs up Re: Carry loaded in a vehicle

Thanks for the replies. I had checked all those references and agree with what was posted. The only ambiguity was the Cheif Deputy's statement that the Sheriff or DA may not agree with his interpetation.