Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Greetings All, Just an brief Introduction.

Good Evening Folks,

Well, I just wanted to say " Hello" and give a brief intro here..
    I was browsing some PA Firearms websites, stumbled onto this forum, Started reading and said to myself.. " Time to join ".

A bit about myself:
    I am in my early 40's, Married for 20 years and 2 teenage sons ( 15 & 17 )
    I am very involved in my Church and community( Past Grand Knight of my Knights of Columbus Council.) and even more involved with my sons.
    I am really trying to teach them what it is to be a good man and lead them down the course of thoughtful and appropriate decisions in life...

I enjoy a good cigar once in a while when out with my buddies, and my nice Briar pipe collection with a good Virginia leaf when I am relaxing.

I recently applied for my Concealed Weapons Permit at the Sheriff's office and seemed to have all my paperwork in order. ( A little over 2 weeks ago).
    I haven't heard anything yet, except my 2 references received the cards and returned them about 1 week ago.
    I did get a ticket for Salmon fishing after sundown in upstate New York about 3 years ago ( I didnt know any better) ..
    But I don't think that should disqualify me from a license,, You think ?
    ( From what I read here , specifically in Monroe County.. I can expect to wait the full 45 days it seems ?)

I still have alot of learning to do about firearms, as the last time I fired a pistol was about 20 years ago while stationed overseas in the USN and sharpshooter qualified.)
    My buddies plans on spending some time with me at the ranges in the area.
    and will take the safety courses offered, because I believe I need to.

I am actually looking forward to it.

I did some reading about the PICO system, as I was not sure what I would still need to do to purchase a pistol. ( Please Feel free to elaborate if you would like , or I'm sure there is info here on the forums as I will keep reading. )

Thanks for taking the time to read my brief note, and I look forward to learning as much as I can here , Keeping safety and the safety of my family first and foremost on my mind.

Nice to meet you all, and see you on the forums.

Vin

(Centre County)

Default Re: Greetings All, Just an brief Introduction.

Welcome and enjoy!
    and will take the safety courses offered, because I believe I need to. I am actually looking forward to it.
    Over the years I have taken a progression of 3 courses and enjoyed each one. In the final one we shot at a simulator which was a blast but also a sobering situation.
    Personal Protection III
    Tactical Shooting Skills Workshop
    Building on skills learned in Level II, this workshop introduces advanced skills that could be advantageous in a criminal confrontation. We will start with a review of basic draw and shoot skills. Students will then learn to safely shoot while moving forward, backward and laterally. Realistic shooting positions are also covered. Students will work through life-size scenarios on the CAPS DVD Simulator, and the program will conclude with low light, dim light, and flashlight training. Limited to 8 students. http://www.pistoltraining.com/html/courses.html#per3
    I was not sure what I would still need to do to purchase a pistol.
    Two forms to fill out at the time of purchase and then they call it in on the spot. If no questions/problems you walk out the door with your new gun

I'm sure there is info here on the forums as I will keep reading. )
    Thanks for taking the time to read my brief note, and I look forward to learning as much as I can here , Keeping safety and the safety of my family first and foremost on my mind.
    Lots of good info here. Grats on your decision to be responsible for the safety of you and yours!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by LedZep View Post
    Good Evening Folks,

Well, I just wanted to say " Hello" and give a brief intro here..
    I was browsing some PA Firearms websites, stumbled onto this forum, Started reading and said to myself.. " Time to join ".

A bit about myself:
    I am in my early 40's, Married for 20 years and 2 teenage sons ( 15 & 17 )
    I am very involved in my Church and community( Past Grand Knight of my Knights of Columbus Council.) and even more involved with my sons.
    I am really trying to teach them what it is to be a good man and lead them down the course of thoughtful and appropriate decisions in life...

I enjoy a good cigar once in a while when out with my buddies, and my nice Briar pipe collection with a good Virginia leaf when I am relaxing.

I recently applied for my Concealed Weapons Permit at the Sheriff's office and seemed to have all my paperwork in order. ( A little over 2 weeks ago).
    I haven't heard anything yet, except my 2 references received the cards and returned them about 1 week ago.
    I did get a ticket for Salmon fishing after sundown in upstate New York about 3 years ago ( I didnt know any better) ..
    But I don't think that should disqualify me from a license,, You think ?
    ( From what I read here , specifically in Monroe County.. I can expect to wait the full 45 days it seems ?)

I still have alot of learning to do about firearms, as the last time I fired a pistol was about 20 years ago while stationed overseas in the USN and sharpshooter qualified.)
    My buddies plans on spending some time with me at the ranges in the area.
    and will take the safety courses offered, because I believe I need to.

I am actually looking forward to it.

I did some reading about the PICO system, as I was not sure what I would still need to do to purchase a pistol. ( Please Feel free to elaborate if you would like , or I'm sure there is info here on the forums as I will keep reading. )

Nice to meet you all, and see you on the forums.

Vin

(Monroe County)

You said "Concealed Weapons Permit"

You will be corrected over and over here so I thought I'd be the first for once

Its a LTCF License to Carry Firearms (which does not mean you MUST conceal once you have it)...

Welcome, Keep reading

To Purchase a handgun you just have to go fill out the forms when you buy it. Most people are approved right away, others have to wait for "research" which seems to take from 1hr to 15 days. But I am far, far from an expert.

(Monroe County)

Yes Sir..

I am learning. lol

My LTCF is still pending.. its been about 2+ weeks.

I feel like a kid coming home and checking my mailbox for an Easter egg.

Too soon to call and ask for an update at the office?
    Would they have sent out the reference cards if there were any other other issues with the license do you think?

Vin

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Greetings All, Just a brief Introduction.

Well its almost 30 days... and I am still waiting.
    ( I know, I can expect to wait the full 45 days from what I read here...)

I honestly do feel a bit frustrated reading how in some areas of the same state I live in, Folks can walk in and obtain there LTCF in 15-30 minutes..

But here in Monroe Cty.. it seems more like a long toss of the coin as to your waiting duration.

I know all my records are clear ( My brother is a Police officer in Long Island and ran my NICS.. Nothing.. ( Not even the fishing ticket.. LOL)

My references returned there cards 3+ weeks ago..
    ( Would it be a problem if one references I used, used me as a reference about 6 months prior?.. Could that be a problem?

Sigh..

Anyone else have anything to tell me to make me feel better. ?
    Thanks Guys.

Led

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Greetings All, Just a brief Introduction.

Nothing to tell you except patience. It took me a little while with my permit as well but it will come.

I don't know if your a Simpsons fan but it's like when Homer is waiting for his 5 day waiting period for a handgun. All he saw were things with targets on them. I felt the same way.

The ranges around our area are okay but apparently you need to join a club for a good one which all have a waiting period or you need to be sponsored by a member. What I mean is Pistol Pocono is good but can get expensive and some people refuse to do service with a shop owned by Dunkelberger. Yuo can also only shoot pistol calibers here.
    Sunset Hill is less expensive especially if after your hour on a pulley bay you can move to a thirty five yard range for free for the rest of the day but 35 yards is as far as it goes. Some have had horrible times their becuase of staff "no it alls" but I have always enjoyed it.
    State Game Land is great and the new Tobyhanna range has a ten yard line for pistols but their is no place to shoot shotguns and the magazine capacity laws suck.

If you ever shoot with your brother than you may know of a place on Long Island called Calverton. I wish I could find a place like this around here where this is just a pit for you to throw your own clays and no magazine capacity rule but the search is still on for an all around good place.

(Monroe County)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sending you a PM soon, look out for it sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Welcome to the forum! And please let us know when you get it.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! And please let us know when you get it.
    Thank you Sir.

I certainly will pass along the news when it arrives.
    Perhaps followed by multiple newbie questions I am sure I can come up with..
    ( I must admit, In my reading here, many questions have already been answered.. I just need to continue to make good use of the "search" option.)

Very informative, educational and entertaining reading in many threads.
    What a pleasure to enjoy with a cup of coffee and a tasty briar pipe of S&G 1792 Dark Flake Virginia..
    ( Any other Pipe smokers here? )

Thank you for the warm welcome too

Led.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: Greetings All, Just an brief Introduction.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Its only natural to be concerned about the waiting period. Everyone always does. You will feel the same thing when you buy your first gun and they call in to check on you. Of course that will be only for two minutes of so.

In the mean time you don't need anything to get your training. So start looking for a place with a NRA instructor. Bring your sons with you and your wife. This is a great family activity.

By the way, you could always move to Luzerne County. I went in expecting to have to wait and come back and they took my picture and I was finished in 10 minutes. I had to wait another five for my daughter to get hers. On the other hand when my poor wife went in to get hers, the machine had broken down and she had to wait almost 3 weeks. And Council 302 would love to have you!
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast