Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Thumbs up Gave my boring Colt the Wilson treatment!

I really enjoy my Colt model 80, but it's just a tad bit on the bland side, so I decided to dress it up a bit with a few Wilson stainless parts. I installed a Wilson ultra-light competition trigger and sear, skeletonized hammer, and beavertail grip safety. It was a hair-raising install to say the least, but it was extremely satisfying to have done some kitchen table gunsmithing all by myself. I haven't shot it yet in this configuration (hopefully tomorrow afternoon) but the trigger pull is shockingly light compared to what it originally was, it should be fun. I like the way the bits of stainless steel contrast with the blued steel. I like the contrasting colors enough that was thinking about maybe adding a stainless slide stop and/or thumb safety as well, but I'm not sure, that might be overkill... it needs something else though... Whatcha guys think?

Before:

After:

For a "drop-in" Beavertail, this thing sure fit nice, although the blurriness of the photo probably doesn't illustrate that very well.

Last edited by Cheeseybacon; August 18th, 2007 at 09:44 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Gave my boring Colt the Wilson treatment!

Looks great...
    Nice job...

(Berks County)

Really like the grips. Two questions:

1. From the medallion on the grips, it looks like they're Pachmayr, but not 100% sure; am I mistaken?

2. Are the checkered inserts and fore-grip wood or synthetic?

UPDATE: Never mind, searched Pachmayr's website and found them: American Legend grips. How do you like them?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Westmoreland County)

Very nice! ALS FTW!! I do love the subdued look with polished accents...good job!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Delaware County)

Nice job!! You have more sand than I do. The modifications you've made look great. Personally, I wouldn't do anything more to it. Just my $.02.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Gave my boring Colt the Wilson treatment!

Ambidextrous safeties. Maybe it's because my FIRST pistol, was - at that time - a brand new 3rd generation S&W - but I CANNOT take a 1911 without 'em. Here's my new S&W 1911, after I had 'em installed! Got 'em on my Springfield 1911A1, too!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; August 19th, 2007 at 09:25 PM.

(Beaver County)

very nice work on the overhaul!
    its amazing how just a few small parts can make a world of difference!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Really like the grips. Two questions:

1. From the medallion on the grips, it looks like they're Pachmayr, but not 100% sure; am I mistaken?

2. Are the checkered inserts and fore-grip wood or synthetic?

UPDATE: Never mind, searched Pachmayr's website and found them: American Legend grips. How do you like them?

Yepper, these are the American Legend Grips. They're pretty nice, the fore-grip is especially handy and allow me to deathgrip the thing in total comfort. I have minor two complaints about these grips though, the first being the little medallions came out too easily. The first one came loose about a week after I got them, and the second one popped out a year later. A little dab of super glue did the trick though and I haven't had a problem with either side since. The second complaint is that the included screws tend to back out during a really intense shooting session. I can live with this, however a dab of the weakest loctite would probably help things out.

(Franklin County)

I took it out this afternoon and put 100 rounds through it. The first thing I noticed was how much my accuracy had improved from new lighter trigger. I'll admit I was skeptical that it a new trigger could really help accuracy that much and really only bought it for the aesthetics, but the proof was in the groups! It was quite shocked, I shot better with this thing today than I have in a long long time.

After the initial thrill of shooting better wore off, I began to notice that the new beavertail grip safety was really bashing on the webbing of my hand. I suspect it's because the grip safety does not go in far enough to allow the straight edge at the bottom of the grip safety to lay even with the rest of the grip.

It looks like I have some more filing to do...

(Chester County)

Ohhhh, baby.... drooling on my keyboard....she's beautiful....Awesome job, she's a beaut.
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast