Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 Hammer Issue

When I was shooting my SA Loaded 1911 yesterday, I was swapping out mags, cycled the slide to chamber a round and noticed that the hammer had fallen to half-cock. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I started messing around with it today while cleaning it. I've noticed that no matter what position is in initially, if I cycle the slide HARD, the hammer falls to half-cock. If I release it with the slide stop or cycle it easily by hand, it doesn't happen. I looked around the net, but couldn't find anything on the exact problem I'm experiencing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: 1911 Hammer Issue

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeM31 View Post
    When I was shooting my SA Loaded 1911 yesterday, I was swapping out mags, cycled the slide to chamber a round and noticed that the hammer had fallen to half-cock. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I started messing around with it today while cleaning it. I've noticed that no matter what position is in initially, if I cycle the slide HARD, the hammer falls to half-cock. If I release it with the slide stop or cycle it easily by hand, it doesn't happen. I looked around the net, but couldn't find anything on the exact problem I'm experiencing.

i'd keep ammo out of it, and give SA a call in the morning. They'll have you ship it to them(free of cost), and get it up and running.

Could be a sear issue

(Westmoreland County)

Sounds like a worn sear. Did the gun ever have a trigger job done to it?
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

No trigger job that I'm aware of. I did buy it used, though, so I can't say that with 100% certainty.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    i'd keep ammo out of it, and give SA a call in the morning. They'll have you ship it to them(free of cost), and get it up and running.

Could be a sear issue
    Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Sounds like a worn sear. Did the gun ever have a trigger job done to it?
    I think it might be a worn sear

SA doesnt care and prob wont ask if you are the original owner, even though IIRC their policy is literally only for the original buyer.

Call them asap. keep it unloaded.

(Berks County)

one other thing to consider is the sear spring.

if it is not properly engaging the sear it will let the hammer fall to half cock

if you have been dry firing and cycling the slide on an empty chamber this will cause the sear spring to loose tension.

dry fire is ok but cycling the slide on an empty chamber not a good idea.

if you are able to change this part give it a try and save yourself the issue of shipping the pistol to the maker.

if you are not able to do this then get the gun to them for repairs.

good luck
    gotta love her ;)

(Allegheny County)

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have the tools that would probably be required to deal with this issue, but having no formal (or even informal) training in gunsmithing, I'd be slightly nervous to tinker with such an important part of the gun. If it is a simple fix, though, and someone could give me fairly explicit instructions, I would consider doing it. I'm seriously leaning toward sending it to SA for work.

The next question is does anyone have any experience sending guns back to SA and if so, what is the quality of the work and what is the turn around time like?

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have the tools that would probably be required to deal with this issue, but having no formal (or even informal) training in gunsmithing, I'd be slightly nervous to tinker with such an important part of the gun. If it is a simple fix, though, and someone could give me fairly explicit instructions, I would consider doing it. I'm seriously leaning toward sending it to SA for work.

The next question is does anyone have any experience sending guns back to SA and if so, what is the quality of the work and what is the turn around time like?
    I sent a gun back to them a few months back for a refinish job with some minor internal mods and it was only 2wks. Quality is top notch, they have one of the top 1911 gun smithing operations around.

(Lawrence County)

There are a ton of disassembly/assembly vids on YouTube and other sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrkF0sMgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4XJTKzKEU

You don't have to strip the whole gun to get to the sear spring. You take off the slide. You push out the mainspring housing pin and drop the mainspring (do this with the hammer down so there is less pressure on the mainspring). Next you take off the thumb safety (hammer must be back) and the grip safety will come out. Under this is the 3 leaf sear spring. The left leg (when looking from the rear) with the little bend on top is the sear leaf. It controls sear pressure.

Look at the spring from the side and note the sear leaf in relation to the others. You want more so you bend it slightly forward. A little goes a long way, but going forward here is not going to make anything worse and may cure your problem. In contrast, lightening spring pressure here can reduce trigger pull, but has the risk of doubles and hammer follow if gone too far or if the sear and hammer hooks are worn. (the center leaf adds trigger reset pressure/disconnector pressure and the right one is grip safety pressure).

What needs to be said is that it can be hard to tell if your problem is just too little pressure or you have a worn sear/hammer combination.

After you add tension, put the spring back in. The botton will fit in a tab in the frame. Put the mainspring housing half-way back in and it will hold the spring in place for you. Put in the grip safety and then the thumb safety (hammer is cocked). Once the thumb safety is in place, slowly drop the hammer and push the mainspring housing up into place. Pin it in and check to see if the hammer follows.

Now....finally.....this can fix guns that have been tweaked a bit too much and just lost some spring pressure, but if the sear/hammer are bad then it will just crutch it through and it will resurface eventually.

If you current trigger pull is under 3.5 lbs with stock parts, I'd probably say that someone tweaked the springs. If not, I'd surely send her back.

Of course, the responsible thing to say on the internet is send her back....

Lycanneverlistenedwellhimselfthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

If you adjust it (lycan know what hes talkin bout) as noted and it behaves dry, when you go to fire do a number of mags with just 2 in just in case it goes on ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast