Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Finally got my mitts on Grandpas guns! Comments appreciated!

I remember there being a rifle or two in my Grandparents house when I was a kid but had forgotten about them since then. My Grandpop passed about 8 years ago and my Grandmom about 4-5, so somehow the guns made their way in to Dads basement, forgotten about. My old man is in Florida for the winter and I went over this morning to water his plants and was digging around the basement for a couple tools when I stumbled upon the box!! I called my dad, he said he forgot they were even there and they are all mine if I want them!! A pretty modest collection, but high on sentimental value. I did research online and heres what I think I got:

1.) H&R Arms break-top revolver, "bicycle" style, 4th edition, nickel, .22 Rimfire, in maybe 80% condition. 1914-1915 mfg.

2.) .22lr/.22mag Colt Frontier Scout '62, 1962 production, 80% condition.

3.) Marlin Model 1897 Deluxe, .22lr, rear peep sight, great wood, probably 85% Mfg between 1903-1906 I believe.

4.) Parker Brothers SxS 12ga shotgun. Trojan Steel, 28"bbl, open chokes. Mfg date 1913-1915 I believe. In awesome shape, mirror bore, probably 90+%

They are all older and the long guns have great wood and patina. I was hoping for a Garand and a Luger bring-back but this will do! I really don't know what to do with these guns besides clean them up and put them in the safe. Should I shoot them? Any tips from antique enthusiasts would be great. Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Finally got my mitts on Grandpas guns! Comments appreciated!

Within the past year I inherited a few guns from my Grandfather, 2 of which were his fathers. I say shoot and enjoy, I do. If you have any doubts about safety, have a gunsmith look them over. As far as the Parker, I've never heard the term Trojan Steel. Is that Damascus? If so, I'd keep it as a wallhanger. Just my opinion, others may vary.
    Last edited by nijwnfi; January 23rd, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

(York County)

Smile Re: Finally got my mitts on Grandpas guns! Comments appreciated!

What you do with them kinda depends on how much sentimental value they have for you and your personal situation. I sold the guns I inherited from my grandfathers back when I was young and foolish and very broke. Regretted it ever since!!

Before you do more than clean them and put them in the safe you might want to buy or borrow a copy of Fjestad's [I]Blue Book of Gun Values[I]and look them up. The Parker and Marlin from your description are collectible and worth some bucks. Might help with your decision to just shoot and enjoy or store.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    ...I really don't know what to do with these guns besides clean them up and put them in the safe....
    Since they are so old you should probably be VERY affraid of them.

You should get rid of them as soon as possible.

I usually charge big money to dispose of old guns... but alas... Since I grew up in Delco I feel a special kinship and I would be willing to take them off your hands for free.

Yes, I know it's hard to believe but I'm willing to stick my neck out and take them for free. It's just the kind of guy I am.

It's truly lucky for you that you posted here and I saw your post before anyone gave you bad advice!!!

Last edited by twoeggsup; January 23rd, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post

I usually charge big money to dispose of old guns... but alas... Since I grew up in Delco I feel a special kinship and I would be willing to take them off your hands for free.

Yes, I know it's hard to believe but I'm willing to stick my neck out and take them for free. It's just the kind of guy I am.

It's truly lucky for you that you posted here and I saw your post before anyone gave you bad advice!!!

That is very nice of you. By the way I see you are 54, so being I don't want you to hurt yourself carrying those old relics, my son will help load them in my van and deliver them for you.

By the way I am not responsible for lost or stolen items.

I really don't know what to do with these guns besides clean them up and put them in the safe. Should I shoot them? Any tips from antique enthusiasts would be great. Thanks!
    I have three guns that belonged to my grandfather, I'd get them checked out by a gunsmith to see if they have any issues. Then I'd shoot them if they're safe to.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

2.) .22lr/.22mag Colt Frontier Scout '62, 1962 production, 80% condition.

...Should I shoot them? Any tips from antique enthusiasts would be great. Thanks!
    The Colt was designed to use modern ammunition, I wouldn't hesitate to fire it. Does your Scout have a steel or non-ferrous alloy frame?

Here's a decent article about them (link).

I have a Peacemaker 22LR/22Mag convertible, I recall my range accuracy wasn't what I had hoped for.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by nijwnfi View Post
    Within the past year I inherited a few guns from my Grandfather, 2 of which were his fathers. I say shoot and enjoy, I do. If you have any doubts about safety, have a gunsmith look them over. As far as the Parker, I've never heard the term Trojan Steel. Is that Damascus? If so, I'd keep it as a wallhanger. Just my opinion, others may vary.
    Thats what I'm thinking too. I had never heard of trojan steel either. Apparently it is their field grade make, with "Vulcan" and "Damascus" being the more ornate.

Quote Originally Posted by capdoc View Post
    What you do with them kinda depends on how much sentimental value they have for you and your personal situation. I sold the guns I inherited from my grandfathers back when I was young and foolish and very broke. Regretted it ever since!!

Before you do more than clean them and put them in the safe you might want to buy or borrow a copy of Fjestad's [I]Blue Book of Gun Values[I]and look them up. The Parker and Marlin from your description are collectible and worth some bucks. Might help with your decision to just shoot and enjoy or store.
    I almost certainly wont sell them, at least not the long guns. The handguns ar probably worth around $300 apiece, but the Marlin looks like its worth about $800-$1000 and the Parker Bros, if I'm reseaching correctly, is well north of $1K. I'm more concerned with whether or not to shoot them, I really want to!

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post

Thats so nice of you, thats why I love it here at PAFOA!!

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    That is very nice of you. By the way I see you are 54, so being I don't want you to hurt yourself carrying those old relics, my son will help load them in my van and deliver them for you.

By the way I am not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    Also a fine idea, we must teach our young to respect their elders after all.

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    I have three guns that belonged to my grandfather, I'd get them checked out by a gunsmith to see if they have any issues. Then I'd shoot them if they're safe to.
    I really do want to shoot them. The long guns have that "they dont make them like that anymore" feeling, all hardwod and steel.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

Pics or it didn't happen...

Congrats. I have a few hand me downs and cherish them.
    Like already said take it to a reputable 'smith. Before you do take plenty of pics and jot down the serial numbers. Also familarize yourself with them first.

Parts and complete firearms have been known to be switched.

(Carbon County)

Oh man a Colt Frontier Scout....my Grandpa had one too. Somehow lost, more than likely one of the uncles had it and sold it. First hand gun I ever shot. Been trying to find another one with both cylinders for yrs.

Good for you Boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast