Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mauser M48 Scope Problem -- SOLVED

I had posted in the SWFA SuperSniper Thread about this rifle and in my last post, said I was going to drill and tap. The first photo tells the story. The scope was sitting on a cantilever, which was sitting on a scout mount and the scope was way too high. Even with a comb raiser, the only way this rifle could be shot was in a weighted Lead Sled.

Removing Scope and Installing Aimpoint Comp C3

I decided against drilling and tapping and got an Aimpoint Comp C3.

The second photo shows the rifle in my FFL's garage as I just took the scope off exposing the underlying cantilever base, which was next to be removed...

The final two photos show the rifle with the C3 installed, and the comb raiser removed.

Shooting

I bore-sighted not using the SL-100 laser like I did the last time, but by looking through the bore and then lining up the dot accordingly. By the end of the session, I was able to get 3-inches at 100 yards dead center -- and with the rifle resting as you see in the last two photos -- no weighted bench. Had I dialed the dot intensity down, (the dot was covering the entire target), I probably could have gotten better accuracy.

My 300-yard work did not go well, but I was rushing, the sun was setting and I had that dot way too bright. And 300 the first time out with this setup should have been with the Lead Sled and the weight. Next time....

Advantages

I was able to get a cheek-weld without a comb raiser. The Aimpoint is lighter and less bulky. It does not matter where the dot appears in the tube -- meaning your eye does not have to be looking at it straight on like a scope. There's no eye relief issue. I can use stripper clips again, because I don't have anything coming over the action blocking it. I can work the bolt without fear of hitting a scope with my hand. And...I did not have to find a pro to drill, tap, destroy and rebuild my bolt handle and safety.

The scout configuration may "look weird" but for this rifle, it works great and for distances to 300 yards, is just the ticket. Engagement time is much faster, especially once you have your confidence built up.

Disadvantages

Un-magnified red dot sights are designed for CQB and are limited in range. You're not going to slap this rifle on a table and shoot targets 900 yards away like this person did (he drilled, tapped, and used a 5 - 15x Bushnell scope):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8B4Me5HXNo

What About my SWFA 20x Scope?

That will go on another bolt action rifle, which is pre-drilled and tapped and to which I can attach a Weaver base.
    Attached Images Attached Images