Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Awesome old revolver question: .22 Rimfire = .22 Long Rifle??

Maybe a dumb question, but I want to make sure: I just took possession of an H&R Arms revolver, break top "bicycle" model, 4th Edition, 1914-1915 manufacture I think, that is marked ".22 rimfire". It was my grandpops and has probably been sitting in a shoebox for 30 years. Can I shoot .22lr through this, .22 short, or neither? Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Awesome old revolver question: .22 Rimfire = .22 Long Rifle??

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but I want to make sure: I just took possession of an H&R Arms revolver, break top "bicycle" model,
    I'd take it to a gunsmith and have him cast the chambers to see what size they are. The .22 LR has been around since 1887 so it may be chambered for .22 LR. If so, you could fire .22 CB cap, .22 Short, .22 Long (hard to find nowadays), and even the .22 Extra Long as well as .22 Long Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    I'd take it to a gunsmith and have him cast the chambers to see what size they are.
    This is safe advice.

The .22 LR has been around since 1887 so it may be chambered for .22 LR.
    The original 22 rimfire was black powder when it was introduces around 1845. Over the years, it transitioned to smokeless powder. Older guns could still accept the newer, high pressure ammunition.

If so, you could fire .22 CB cap, .22 Short, .22 Long (hard to find nowadays), and even the .22 Extra Long as well as .22 Long Rifle.
    If he wants to keep the gun intact, he needs to have a gunsmith familiar with antique 22s check it out and make a recommendation. 22 autos in production in the first half of the 20th century often needed an upgrade before they could handle modern 22 ammunition. Even the Colt Woodsman required a replacement mainspring housing around 1933 (details). He might be limited to black powder loads.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    This is safe advice.

The original 22 rimfire was black powder when it was introduces around 1845. Over the years, it transitioned to smokeless powder. Older guns could still accept the newer, high pressure ammunition.

If he wants to keep the gun intact, he needs to have a gunsmith familiar with antique 22s check it out and make a recommendation. 22 autos in production in the first half of the 20th century often needed an upgrade before they could handle modern 22 ammunition. Even the Colt Woodsman required a replacement mainspring housing around 1933 (details). He might be limited to black powder loads.

A little google-fu tells me that it does in fact take smokeless powder cartridges, however I will be taking it to a smith to be sure. Thestor behind it is that my great grandfather wored for Apollo Steel (IIRC) in Pittsburgh asa supervisor. The union struck, an he was give the pistol to pocket JIC as himn and the other management crossed the lines each day to do the work and keep h mill running. Pretty bad ass if you ask me.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**