Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XDm 3.8... why?

(Philadelphia County)

Default XDm 3.8... why?

Hey, everyone. Nice to meet you all. I've decided to try to localize my education and discussion on firearms to a community centered where I live.

I've been looking for a while at the XDm as my next purchase; I'm really pleased with everything I've seen about it. Recently SA put out the XDm w/ a 3.8" slide and I'm sort of left wondering... huh? I've been really impressed by the line in general, but am I missing something here?

Other than the more angular serrations on the slide and the moderately shorter slide... what is new? I checked out the m-factor website and walked away mystified.

If the grip is the same size (leaving it with the same effective level of 'concealability'), and everyone says the firing balance is better with the standard 4.5" XDm, is the only actual improvement the serrations for slide grip?

(Centre County)

Default Re: XDm 3.8... why?

Donno...

I was talking to my gunshop today, and they saw them at the dealer show, and told me that they were unimpressed by them
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by runningfast View Post
    Hey, everyone. Nice to meet you all. I've decided to try to localize my education and discussion on firearms to a community centered where I live.

I've been looking for a while at the XDm as my next purchase; I'm really pleased with everything I've seen about it. Recently SA put out the XDm w/ a 3.8" slide and I'm sort of left wondering... huh? I've been really impressed by the line in general, but am I missing something here?

Other than the more angular serrations on the slide and the moderately shorter slide... what is new? I checked out the m-factor website and walked away mystified.

If the grip is the same size (leaving it with the same effective level of 'concealability'), and everyone says the firing balance is better with the standard 4.5" XDm, is the only actual improvement the serrations for slide grip?
    Well sir Im very sorry to hear that an I suggest you do some homework I mean that with the best intentions.. The XD-M comes with a match-grade titanium barrel, and the serations (of course) are different along with the entire top slide. Even in the front and back of the slide it's chopped off a little here and there to lighten it.. and now for the best reason..

19 round mag.

I have nothing else to say.

(Philadelphia County)

Gumby- I think we're suffering from a miscommunication.

I am familiar with the match-grade barrel and the 19+1 capacity in the 9mm XDm... as I said, I love the XDm weapons.

I'm asking about the improvements in the XDm 3.8" over the standard XDm- not over the XD.

(Lehigh County)

Wear are my damn glasses??????? WOW im retarted i didn't even see that..... sorry man..lol

(York County)

Because it's so much more concealable according to Springfield. duh.

(Montgomery County)

ive thought about this for a minute and the only thing i can assume is that springfield armory are all dwarfs....that is the only way a 3.8 barrell would make a differance in CC.

(Lehigh County)

Many people have been wondering when a smaller more CC-able XDm would come out. Most of those people were thinking of a weapon on the same platform as the current XD sub-compact but with XDm features. Those people were let down. This weapon really serves very little purpose. In my mind, there is very little reason to go with the shorter barrel as the format of the gun does not scream CC... and the longer barrel has few (if any) disadvantages in any other situation.

(Berks County)

The more the merrier I guess I don't understand why they didn't make this a compact model with the different size magazine's.
    I wouldn't mind one in 357 if it was a compact.
    I Have the XD 45. Compact I can carry 10 13 or 16 Rounds (aftermarket extension) I love it.

You guys already said this but the slide serration Instead of being straight lines they are more curved giving a new functional image to the traditional straight serrations on previous XD(m) models. It appears besides cosmetic changes in the slide, a new upgraded grip, and 3.8″ barrel the new XDM hasn’t changed much from the 9mm XD(m) introduction. There is a 4.5 oz weight difference over the full size where it’s closest competitor (Glock 19) only drops 1.5 oz from it’s full size counter part.

There is a couple video's on youtube but there not that Great.

There is alot of good info about the XD on the XD Forums.

(Monroe County)

Why? So they can sucker assholes and idiots into buying the gun, and make them think they have something better than the XDm.

Only a complete moron would think that this has a greater advantage in concealability. Waste of time Springfield, waste of time...

You lose inherent accuracy by shortening the barrel, but don't change the grip size so it doesn't conceal better. Where are the advantages again?
    Oh wait, let me hold my breath for the inevitable ass hat who will come along and claim "that .7 inches of barrel removed makes it easier to conceal because now .3 inches of barrel won't protrude from under my t-shirt, I'm totally going to spend 600 dollars on a new gun instead of adjusting my wardrobe. I fucking rock and so does springfield armory"

Last edited by jcabin; January 23rd, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast