Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Pepper Spray as a back up

OK, a lot of you have said you carry some kind of pepper spray. What I want to know is this.

What kind are you carrying, what percentage, how big a container?

How and where do you carry on your person?

Have you ever had a problem with it leaking?

I am considering getting some to carry as a back up for those times that Deadly Force just isn't justified.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Pepper Spray as a back up

good move.

I carry a fox labs 2oz flip top in cone pattern on my weak hand side in my pocket. Make sure you don't keep anything loose in the same pocket that could find its way into the flip top trigger the can.

Percentage is actually pretty meaningless as an unrefined spray can have a very high percentage and not be all that hot. It's a marketing ploy. Fox labs is a 2% spray and is 5.3 million SHU's. Hottest spray on earth.

No leaking problems and I leave a can in my car year round (all temperature extremes)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    OK, a lot of you have said you carry some kind of pepper spray. What I want to know is this.

What kind are you carrying, what percentage, how big a container?

How and where do you carry on your person?

Have you ever had a problem with it leaking?

I am considering getting some to carry as a back up for those times that Deadly Force just isn't justified.
    I'm using a brand called "The Guardian" in the 2oz stream spray 5.5% OC at 2 million SHU. The company I work for is a local distributor for the product so I get it at cost. I carry it on my left hip in a black nylon clip-on pouch with a quick draw Velcro flap. The only time I had a can leak on me, was after I test fired the can and left some residue on the nozzle. I later picked up the can and got some on my finger, and then I wiped my nose with the same finger. Whoa! Sure cleared out my sinuses. Did I mention I was driving at the time?

Best!
    Last edited by PhillyGunOwner; August 17th, 2007 at 09:26 PM.

I know many of you carry OC. Police are traditionally trained in the use of force continuum. Verbal commands, hands on, (impact/oc OR oc/impact) I have seen it both ways, then firearm. They are told to use the amount of force that is required to stop the threat. I foresee carrying OC as a severe liability. If you shoot someone with OC on your person, you will certainly be asked to explain why you didn't spray the guy first. I am just thinking out loud here. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I know many of you carry OC. Police are traditionally trained in the use of force continuum. Verbal commands, hands on, (impact/oc OR oc/impact) I have seen it both ways, then firearm. They are told to use the amount of force that is required to stop the threat. I foresee carrying OC as a severe liability. If you shoot someone with OC on your person, you will certainly be asked to explain why you didn't spray the guy first. I am just thinking out loud here. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
    Jules
    I'm trained in all those things and here's my conclusion. When lethal force is justified it's justified.

(Allegheny County)

I open carry a 2 oz container of Fox Labs OC spray on my belt upside-down. I got the typical black leather holder and switched the metal clip around. That way, in one smooth downward motion I unsnap the holder with the web of my hand, grip the container, and put my index finger on the spray button. I can't think of a faster draw, and I haven't had any problem with leaks.

I wear it all the time, and haven't gotten any comments... people probably think it's weird, but it's better than being defenseless when I'm unable to pack. Plus, I imagine that the chance of an LEO messing with you is a lot lower than when open carrying a firearm.

Pepperspray is, and will be, my main unless I'm confronted with a group or a gun.

What I carry is called "The neutralizer" on my keychain. No leaks, and its old as hell (needs replaced). I carry front left pocket, nothing else in there (I'm a lefty).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    Pepperspray is, and will be, my main unless I'm confronted with a group or a gun.
    That really depends on the situation Pepper spray is, in my opinion, reserved for people who are less than 100% serious about attacking me. I keep it for the chest beating phase of the conflict. That's probably a better way to judge the need to escalate to deadly force than what's in their hand or how many there are. We shoot people with knives and clubs if they're intent on killing us.

(Lebanon County)

I'm not as young as I used to be and my fighting days are behind me. For that matter so are my running days so, in any kind of encounter with a younger bad guy I have no real alternative other then to stand my ground. If confronted with a clearly unarmed nut, road-rager, or whatever I need something a little less drastic then pulling my Glock.

Now before someone points this out, yes, I probably could make a "disparity of force" defence if I shoot a younger, stronger attacker and I fear for my life or limb. That said, doesn't it make sense to have a less lethal alternative available? For me, it does. Your mileage may vary!

Ok gentlemen, help me out on this one.
    How would I determine whether to use pepper spray or my .38 or my .9mm? Being female I would have to assume that deadly force (my gun) would be necessary at all times (assumption of an attack). How does one determine what would be in the attackers mind? And what method of defense should be used? Would I have that time to think about pepper spray or lead spray? Am I assuming incorrectly. Of course, any man can overpower me, do I live by this and exert deadly force immediately, or do I wait for move number two. By then it might be too late. Isn't that why we carry? To protect ourselves, or to protect others from us? Hummm

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast