Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

http://pahomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=122032

Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- In the crossfire of a machine gun mystery, Luzerne County Sheriffs Department officials refused to answer questions Thursday night about the sale of a machine gun. It's claimed by sources in the sheriffs department ex-Sheriff Michael Savokinas and Chief Deputy Charles Guarnieri erred when selling the heavy-duty weapon in August to a gun shop in Pittson.

Reached on his county-issued cell phone Thursday evening, Guarnieri refused to answer questions referring us to the department's solicitor Joseph Sklarosky, Sr.. He immediately terminated the phone call.

Members of the county's legal staff confirmed they're investigating the matter.

Contacted about the I-Team's findings, Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla said something of that value has to be bid, according to county policy. Petrilla added the machine gun is county property and that it lacked an appraisal before it was sold. We're told Savokinas and Guarnieri plainly lacked authorization to sell the weapon.

Sources say the machine gun was turned over by jail bosses to the sheriffs department. Savokinas and Guarnieri began the process of selling the weapon in August, according to the owner of the Pittston gun shop who took possession of the firearm. County Solicitor Vito DeLuca said Savokinas' name appears on transaction paperwork.

Savokinas resigned from office in September, leaving Guarnieri to complete the sale. Advanced Arms owner Chris Scoda said he advised the sheriffs to review the purchase with their department solicitor, Sklarosky. Scoda said the officers allegedly informed him Sklarosky signed off on the transaction.

Sklarosky did not return a message for comment.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

If it is the M1918A1 BAR that used to hang in Frank Jagodinski's office the gun was not on the NFA registry. I know because I rebuilt the gun in 1982 at the request of Jim Loftus (luz. Cty. JPTA). The gun was a rusted solid wall decoration at best. After I rebuilt it we shot it a few times and then returned it to the wall. It was appraised in 82 for $15,000. They had to go through some hoops to get it on the registry. I wonder if the BATFE was called in on this?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunone View Post
    If it is the M1918A1 BAR that used to hang in Frank Jagodinski's office the gun was not on the NFA registry. I know because I rebuilt the gun in 1982 at the request of Jim Loftus (luz. Cty. JPTA). The gun was a rusted solid wall decoration at best. After I rebuilt it we shot it a few times and then returned it to the wall. It was appraised in 82 for $15,000. They had to go through some hoops to get it on the registry. I wonder if the BATFE was called in on this?
    According to the article it was sold to a gun shop. So they must know about. What paper work needs to be fill out to sell a class III to a shop?

(Luzerne County)

. It was appraised in 82 for $15,000.
    Uh, no. Being non-transferable it would have been $500 at best. Transferable maybe $1500.00 in 1982.

They had to go through some hoops to get it on the registry. I wonder if the BATFE was called in on this?
    The BATF has nothing to do with this. The gun was transferred to AA on a ATF Form-5 as required. The BATF could care less about internal strife with Luzerne County accounting offices.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Uh, no. Being non-transferable it would have been $500 at best. Transferable maybe $1500.00 in 1982.
    In 82 they didn't have the inflated value they do today, Im with PaPat on this.

(Luzerne County)

The BATF has nothing to do with this. The gun was transferred to AA on a ATF Form-5 as required. The BATF could care less about internal strife with Luzerne County accounting offices.
    Thats what I thought.

(Luzerne County)

Last night it seemed like WBRE wanted to flush anyone they could down the bowl on this.

I would assume Chris would not even think to attempt to risk the business he worked so hard to build on one questionable item.
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Last night it seemed like WBRE wanted to flush anyone they could down the bowl on this.

I would assume Chris would not even think to attempt to risk the business he worked so hard to build on one questionable item.
    Yeah, WBRE is doing it's typical thing.

All the "problems" with this deal are with the county end, and their own procedures. Has nothing to do with Chris. He was approached, purchased with a contract and all appropriate paperwork. End of deal.
    If the county doesn't like the fact that the gun was sold the way it was then that's their internal problem. WBRE would be wise to not try and imply that AA/Chris did anything wrong. He is one person will not tolerate any BS media slander.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Schuylkill County)

All the "problems" with this deal are with the county end, and their own procedures. Has nothing to do with Chris. He was approached, purchased with a contract and all appropriate paperwork. End of deal.
    If the county doesn't like the fact that the gun was sold the way it was then that's their internal problem. WBRE would be wise to not try and imply that AA/Chris did anything wrong. He is one person will not tolerate any BS media slander.
    Let them keep it up... and then we can laugh while they're paying off a large suit.

Idiots.
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; January 22nd, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

Agreed.

I wonder what became of the money that was made from the sale. Was it put back into the budget or into someones pocket?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast