Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default PA Custom Holster Manufacturers?

I recently purchased my first handgun - a Sig Sauer P250 9mm subcompact. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any reasonable holster for either CC or OC. Even Sig Sauer doesn't make a custom-fit holster for the subcompact model.

Are there any quality holster manufacturers in Pennsylvania? I'd prefer physically wearing something before I buy it as opposed to blindly ordering something online that is "supposed" to fit my exact gun.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Default Re: PA Custom Holster Manufacturers?

Talk to Jason Schafer, PAFOA member "js1050".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Adams County)

I am also looking for a holster for my P250. There aren't many out there. I think I am going to buy a universal holster until I find a nice leather holster.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Jefferson County)

There was a guy down near Nanty Glo/Vintondale area that made a leather one for my Colt Python back in the very early '90s. I think his shop is still around. Quality was great, but so was the price even then. I think I paid $120 for it right when I got my Python when I was 19 or 20yo.

I'll try to look him up when back down to the phone office on Monday.

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Rusty Sherrick. He's in Elizabethtown. http://c-rusty.com/

His work is expensive, and his lead time is beyond 6 months.

That said, he's one of the best, if not the best, truly custom holster makers.

There really are only about 3 different (general) types of strong-side holster designs. A trailing loop (epitomized by the Bruce Nelson or Askins design), a pancake, and a paddle. All of the other stuff is just variation on a theme (detachable loops, cant, rise, material, etc.).

The quality of a given holster comes in how the particular maker puts them together in theoretical design (how he, personally, puts together the above variations in terms of measurements and features), the leather he uses, and the quality of workmanship that is used to execute the design.

There are probably three truly custom makers that are the best of the best that can combine all of the foregoing, and do it every time, on every holster.

Matt Del Fatti is one. The dude will make whatever you want, and when he does, it's perfect. If he's even taking orders he's a two year wait. He personally makes holsters bearing his name. A true craftsman.

Lou Alessi was another, but he's dead. Tom Kulwicki is now making his designs. Tom's work is indistinguishable from Lou's -- he's that good. They're almost a year wait.

Rusty Sherrick is probably the third. His work, in my mind, ties with Del Fatti's for the best. It's hard to explain why, and it's only fractions of a percent better than Alessi's work. It's probably in the leather they use, or the curing process, or who knows, and it's purely personal preference on "feel" in my mind. If you can think of a holster, he'll make it for you. He does all of his own work. Another true craftsman.

Milt Sparks was one, too. He's dead, though. But Tony Kanaley carries on his work, and does a damned fine job of it. But the shop isn't really custom any more. They have a set line, and they won't deviate from it anymore -- they either make a holster type for your gun, or they don't.

Personally, if you want a top of the line holster for a new or oddball gun, I'd call Rusty.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

This might help psublue,

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/holsters.html

Purchased a stock 1911 holster 3 years ago and was pleased with the purchase. A Pennsylvania vendor, give them a look...

Mike

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    This might help psublue,

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/holsters.html

Purchased a stock 1911 holster 3 years ago and was pleased with the purchase. A Pennsylvania vendor, give them a look...

Mike
    If you read other forums, you'll hear a lot of complaints about delivery and communication from Bulman. He makes beautiful gear but be prepared for a very long wait. I hope he turns it around because he's one of the best.

Rule listed some great choices and I've owned examples from all except Del Fatti. There are others that are making some truly fantastic stuff these days I don't know of a single maker that will send you one to try but many/most will refund you if your not happy for any reason. Most will also make any modifications to their designs if they are feasible and reasonable. My last 3 leather buys were from Desbian's, HBE and UBG. I'd be happy to order from any of them again and I'm sure I will someday. My next holster is going to be from Rocky at Pure Kustom. Be sure to check out 5-Shot as well. John Ralston makes awesome stuff.

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
    http://www.ubgholsters.com/
    http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/
    http://www.5shotleather.com/
    http://www.purekustomholsters.com/

I just ordered a holster for my 1911 from Nate at UBG holsters today. I was lucky and he had the exact holster I wanted listed on his for sale page meaning it's already made and I should have it within a week. I've heard nothing but good things about Nate so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and some pics as soon as it comes in.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I can make leather holsters, but I need the gun to customize and wet form. Once I get my taxidermy business affairs in order (shipping all the salted hides to the tanners), I will be making some for 87th PVI on here.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Centre County)

Just a quick update: a friend recommended that I check eBay until I can find something more custom. I found a few paddle and belt holsters for under $20. I went with the belt holster (shortened eBay link) for my P250 subcompact, and I'll let you all know how that works out.

I know some other folks on the forums I frequent were also looking for holsters for the subcompact, so if this turns out to be decent, I'll let you know.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast