Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Delco Field and Stream Anyone a member?

Me and my joined a few months ago and I still have very mixed feelings about it. I really enjoy the archery range and the ROs over there. The smallbore rifle range really rubs me the wrong we though. The ROs there really seem to have sticks in their ass and only enforce rules on those who are not one of their buddies. And I cannot figure out why you can't shoot 22lr at the 100 yd range. The handgun range has been ok as well as the ROs who are over there, but they seem to frown on 20 somethings shooting there and laughing while shooting. God forbid you have fun while shooting. I tell my wife that this place is more of a target range and less of a fun range, we just go else where for fun.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    Me and my joined a few months ago and I still have very mixed feelings about it. I really enjoy the archery range and the ROs over there. The smallbore rifle range really rubs me the wrong we though. The ROs there really seem to have sticks in their ass and only enforce rules on those who are not one of their buddies. And I cannot figure out why you can't shoot 22lr at the 100 yd range. The handgun range has been ok as well as the ROs who are over there, but they seem to frown on 20 somethings shooting there and laughing while shooting. God forbid you have fun while shooting. I tell my wife that this place is more of a target range and less of a fun range, we just go else where for fun.
    Have shotguns? Come over to my range, table trap, it's all about the fun there. We have "fun shoots" once a month (although it's always fun at table trap) except July & August, that entail shooting in ways you don't normally get to do. Our next "Fun Shoot" is Sept, 11, 2011, come on up, if you don't have a shotgun we'll get one for ya to use, just bring 12 ga ammo, and if you really want a hoot, come out to the November 13 Red Neck Fun Shoot, here's some photo's from last year Red Neck Shoot: http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...20Fun%20Shoot/

(Montgomery County)

I used to shoot table trap and trap there years ago, but I have sold off my shotguns. I always had a blast doing that. I did one of the shoots in the early 90s, it was tons of fun. They had all kinda of clay throwers, do they still have them all? I may get into it again, just deciding on what shotgun to get.
    Don't get me wrong about DCFS, it is one of the nicest clubs/ranges around. Its just the ROs really need to get over the "good old boy" syndrome and realize that most of the people there for some fun and not everyone likes to take 5 minutes to talk in between each shot.

Me too. I go weekdays about 9 to 11 am
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

I'm a Range Officer on the 100yd High Power range. Several years ago you could not shoot .22LR on the 100yd range but that (silly) rule was repealed and you can now shoot .22LR, Mags, shorts, .17's, etc. at the high power range. Just try to do a good job policing your brass, especially in the shooting house. I don't mind cleaning up .223 or .308 (I get lots of free brass that way) but .22 is a pain.

Note that the no-more-than-5 round rule does still apply, and you must shoot at 100 yard paper targets (don't set up a reactive metal target at 40 yards or anything like that).

I'll also say that in the past 2 years the HP range has become a lot more "fun." We run 1 weekend match a month from May through December, and that's in addition to the Saturday .22 silhouette matches which we started last year. A few of them are 3 gun matches and the rest usually involve bench shooting. From January - April we run Sunday AM offhand leagues. The Military rifle league (open to any military rifle 6mm or larger, no glass) starts in January and runs for 5 weeks, then the High Power league runs for 5 weeks (open to any rifle of 6mm caliber or larger, glass is okay) followed up by the Lever Gun league (any lever action gun of .30cal or larger, no glass) which also runs for 5 weeks. You take 20 record shots each week (if you miss a week you can make them up). If you don't have a gun that's needed for a match, you're welcome to borrow one of mine, and I know that other guys will lend you one of theirs too. I might ask you to pay for ammo though, especially if you score better than I do . Nobody is gonna bite your head off. Just come up, introduce yourself, ask questions, etc. and we'll get you involved.

I also shoot a lot on the Black Powder range and there are lots of monthly matches there too (Cowboy Action, BPCR and Muzzleloader). Again, even if you don't have the equipment (yet), show up, introduce yourself and ask to borrow someone's gun (expect to clean it after you shoot it though).

Personally I can't speak about the guys running the Smallbore or Pistol ranges. However, all members are empowered to enforce all of the club's rules and if you see people violating the rules then you can and should speak up, even if they're one of the "good ol' boys" who may think that the rules don't apply to them. Also remember that a lot of the guys at the range shoot competitively and don't take too well to distraction (guys laughing at each other, etc.) while they're practicing.

(Delaware County)

I used to shoot table trap and trap there years ago, but I have sold off my shotguns. I always had a blast doing that. I did one of the shoots in the early 90s, it was tons of fun. They had all kinda of clay throwers, do they still have them all? I may get into it again, just deciding on what shotgun to get.
    Don't get me wrong about DCFS, it is one of the nicest clubs/ranges around. Its just the ROs really need to get over the "good old boy" syndrome and realize that most of the people there for some fun and not everyone likes to take 5 minutes to talk in between each shot.
    Yes, for the "Fun Shoots" we bring out the special throwers. If you don't have a shotgun by the next shoot I'll let ya borrow mine for the shoot, I'm an RO on the TT range so I'll won't be shooting until most folks are done. All you need is $5 and a box (25 rounds) of 12 ga. ammo. There is a prize for best score of the day (need to be present to collect) and one at the end of the season for best over-all (club jacket). There are several divisions and each gets a prize at the end of each shoot.

As for the other ranges talking too much, you have to realize all RO's volunteer and throughly enjoy shooting and like talking about it. I'm sure if you find a polite way of saying your time is limited and you'd like to get as much shooting in as possible they'd leave you alone.

So maybe I'll see ya Sept. 11?

(Chester County)

I have had the same problems there. To a point it is as clicky as a high school girls locker room there. It is not the members there, alot of times it is the range officers. I understand and respect the rules and I am in good standing there. The handgun range RO's I have the biggest problem with. I agree if you are under the age of 30 there they tend to have a big problem with you.That's why I mainly go during the weekdays as it is never crowded.

I brief example was this past december i went into the club house to renew my dues. Usually the lady at the counter is the FRIENDLIEST and NICEST woman ever. She's awesome. BUT this day i came right from work and did not have my card showing on me but had it in my pocket, I understand my fault. The older gentleman waiting on me when i showed him my card went on a good 2 minute rant about how I need my card showing in the clubhouse at all times. I humbly said my fault. As I was leaving an OLDER gentlemen that appeared to be friends with the guy behind the counter did the same thing as me...AND NOTHING WAS SAID. I was very tempted to question this, but figured it would be useless. It is getting to the point I remain a member there just because it is 5 minutes from my home and that is all.

THE TABLE TRAP RANGE IS AWESOME AND I BELIEVE THE HI-POWER AS WELL...I GUESS MAINLY IT IS THE FREQUENTS OF THE CLUBHOUSE AND THE HANDGUN RANGES

My rant has ended :-)
    Last edited by c_brutsche; August 30th, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added info

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    I'm a Range Officer on the 100yd High Power range. Several years ago you could not shoot .22LR on the 100yd range but that (silly) rule was repealed and you can now shoot .22LR, Mags, shorts, .17's, etc. at the high power range. Just try to do a good job policing your brass, especially in the shooting house. I don't mind cleaning up .223 or .308 (I get lots of free brass that way) but .22 is a pain.

Note that the no-more-than-5 round rule does still apply, and you must shoot at 100 yard paper targets (don't set up a reactive metal target at 40 yards or anything like that.
    Thats so cool. Thanks for the update. The rule book I have says you can't shoot 22s at 100 yards unless your some sort of comp shooter. I can't wait to go out there again. It also says only 1 round at a time, I can live with the 5 round rule a little better than 1 round.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]
    As for the other ranges talking too much, you have to realize all RO's volunteer and throughly enjoy shooting and like talking about it. I'm sure if you find a polite way of saying your time is limited and you'd like to get as much shooting in as possible they'd leave you alone.

So maybe I'll see ya Sept. 11?
    Its not their talking that bothers me, I enjoy talking about shooting as much as the next guy. Its the way they treat/look at you if you are there punching holes in the paper or knocking down the metal plates quicker than them. My wife and I keep pretty good groups in the center of the targets and knock down the metal targets on a consistent basis with 22s. If she can ring the metal plate 5 times rather quick, there shouldn't be a problem. Our shots are never just fired to hear the guns go bang.

(Delaware County)

I am not a member, but have many friends who are. I go back more years than I care to admit to. The range is improving and compared to what it was, it is the OK corral. I would enjoy teasing my membership friends of many years ago asking them if they still allowed live ammunition.

To the young guys and gals that are members and don't like the clicks that are administered by the old timers, have patience, the old timers will not live forever, and as stated, things are much better due to a different and younger leadership.

Being a combat shooter, when they allow humanoid paper targets, I will probably join. But until then, I will have to wait for more old timers to pass on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast