Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Shotshell realoding... worth it?

I inherited a MEC 650 and 600jr shotshell press and a few components and I am wondering if its worth the effort?

I save a ton on rifle, and a bit on pistol, but I have no idea on shotshell. Plus the sheer bulk of the shot, the hulls, the wads... I have gotten used to having all the components under the desk. A bag of hulls or wads (not to mention shot) will take up most of my remaining space.

I don't own a shotgun (but its on the list of thing to do in 2010) so its not a high priority... just wondering.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Shotshell realoding... worth it?

It depends on what your aim is, and no pun intended there, though it may apply.

If it is your desire to have good, consistent trap and skeet loads, at less cost than store-bought, and you shoot a lot, you surely can save.

If you want a few full power specialty hunting loads, and you only shoot a few a year, you are prob better off patronizing Wally World or Gonzo Mountain. Sometimes the local mon-and-pop dealers will have a few of the exotic loads, and then again, maybe not.

In shotshells, there are so many variations on the theme, and if you don't consume in volume, it doesn't seem too economical, in investment of both money and/or time.

I load my own squirrel and rabbit ammo, simply because I do reload my clay-bird stuff. If I didn't shoot clay-birds, I'd buy.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Where you can save a ton is on the non 12ga/20ga rounds. 16, 28, and .410. For just hunting, sell the presses and buy what you. If you want ot get into the clay sports you will save on everything.

(York County)

Ditto on what Flash and WVBob have said. I shoot Sporting Clays and consume approx 2 boxes a week and sometimes more. I enjoy reloading shotshells and I have found some significant savings. I like the hunt for all the components to get good deals.

If not shooting in quantity...you may wish to pick up some cheap ammo at Dick's or Wally World.

Just my .02

(Chester County)

Agree with all of the above. I did a quick computation for the cost to reload 2-3/4 12 ga 3 dram 1-1/8 oz at 22 cents each. Almost what it cost on sale at Dick's so I've relegated my press to the hangar for the foreseeable future.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

You already have the press and some components. The purchase of the press and the start up cost is the most expensive part of reloading shotgun shells.
    If you use more than 50 a week I would reload and do. If you don't plan on a shotgun purchase or shotgun sport shooting I would sell it and buy a new handgun or rifle. This link may help !
    http://10xshooters.com/calculators/S...Calculator.htm

Steeltown

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown Joe View Post
    You already have the press and some components. The purchase of the press and the start up cost is the most expensive part of reloading shotgun shells.
    If you use more than 50 a week I would reload and do. If you don't plan on a shotgun purchase or shotgun sport shooting I would sell it and buy a new handgun or rifle. This link may help !
    http://10xshooters.com/calculators/S...Calculator.htm

Steeltown
    Thanks for the link Joe , good stuff
    Rep your way
    DAN