Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What component(s) of a firearm constitute "a firearm"?

Ok, all hypothetical of course: What if I own a house in a NJ beach town, and have reconciled it within myself that having a firearm in that house to protect my wife and children (not carried ever) was a calculated risk worth taking for me. The firearm would not stay there when I was not there, but would be transported to and from the house via car. The car ride would be my time of greatest risk, as once at the home the firearm would be totally concealed to all but me, and if it was needed in an emergency situation the safety of my kids would come before any stupid ass unconstitutonal law. My question is: If a firearm is disassembled totally (example, Glock) and frame, barrel, slide, and spring are totally seperated, is it a gun? What about if I have JUST a slide in my possession, or my wife has JUST a barrel with her in another vehicle? Stupid questions maybe, but I am curious as to the answers!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What component(s) of a firearm constitute "a firearm"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Ok, all hypothetical of course: What if I own a house in a NJ beach town, and have reconciled it within myself that having a firearm in that house to protect my wife and children (not carried ever) was a calculated risk worth taking for me. The firearm would not stay there when I was not there, but would be transported to and from the house via car. The car ride would be my time of greatest risk, as once at the home the firearm would be totally concealed to all but me, and if it was needed in an emergency situation the safety of my kids would come before any stupid ass unconstitutonal law. My question is: If a firearm is disassembled totally (example, Glock) and frame, barrel, slide, and spring are totally seperated, is it a gun? What about if I have JUST a slide in my possession, or my wife has JUST a barrel with her in another vehicle? Stupid questions maybe, but I am curious as to the answers!
    not a stupid question, I was wondering the same thing, technically it's not a "firearm" until it's assembled...bu that doesn't mean the "law" ( especially in N.J.) would agree.,,,waiting on enlightenment myself.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    not a stupid question, I was wondering the same thing, technically it's not a "firearm" until it's assembled...bu that doesn't mean the "law" ( especially in N.J.) would agree.,,,waiting on enlightenment myself.

I'm anxious to hear the real legal answer, although law of course has zero bearing on what would actually happen in NJ! I can see the arguement that, if the sum of the parts did not equal the whole, why not on an airplane, etc. Of course I would never do this becasue it against the law, but a little "risk minimization" never hurt anyone!

(Jefferson County)

A receiver alone is a firearm whether assembled or not.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    DAMNIT!!! Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Also, I believe certain states have different definitions. A Maryland Trooper told me that a loaded magazine constituted as a firearm under the law with which he "could" arrest me.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

under the Gun Control Act of 1968, definitions were set down in reference to firearms...

(3) The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will
    or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of
    an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler
    or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an
    antique firearm.

now STATES have VARIOUS definitions of firearms, from PAs "bullet spitter" type definition, to "firearms" in reference to a LTCF, firearms in General, etc.

so you need to determine what the Peoples Republik Of New Joisey determines to be a firearm, is it just what a FOID card is needed to posess? is it a rifle or shotgun in general?

NJ state law defines a firearm as any weapon that can fire a bullet or other projectile by means of an explosive as well as any weapon that uses a spring, elastic band, or compressed gas to shoot a projectile capable of injuring a person.***** NJ Statutes §2C:39-1(f)

Handgunlaw. US gave the following:

Transporting Firearms in NJ
    Question: How do you transport firearms? (From NJ State Police)
    Answer Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.
    If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Possession and Transportation of Hollow Point Ammo In NJ
    Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are
    no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.
    N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception
    that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This
    exception provides that:
    (2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his
    dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the
    place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
    Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f
    (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities
    pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
    Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:
    1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle
    Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting
    exhibitions."
    As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A
    2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be
    stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    somehow I had a feeling someone was going to say that...

(Centre County)

Typically, the part that has the serial number on it is considered the "firearm".

On a 1911 and other semi-autos and revolvers it is the frame.
    On a Ruger .22 Pistol it is the barrel assembly.
    On an AR it is the lower receiver.
    On the new Sig P250 it is the firing mechanism because of it's modular design you can swap just about everything except for the FCG. The frames all have a small cutout so you can see the S/N of the FCG.
    On a rifle and shotgun it is the receiver.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Butler County)

So a stripped AR lower receiver is a firearm? And if I put it in my coat pocket its a concealed weapon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast