Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Magazine sleave???

Has anyone ever seen a magazine "sleave" that slides over a mag & provides a grip (it's used in place of a forward verticle grip)?? They look a little like a Houge slip on....just for a mag.

I saw one at a show last year on an AR-15 & got to play with it......it's VERY comfy. I found some on-line last week, but lost the web page. They were only around $6.00 each.

It's driving me NUTS that I can't find it!

I'd really like to try one out on my AK!!

Thanks to ANYONE that can help.....I've spent MANY hours searching...ugh!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Magazine sleave???

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a magazine "sleave" that slides over a mag & provides a grip (it's used in place of a forward verticle grip)?? They look a little like a Houge slip on....just for a mag.

I saw one at a show last year on an AR-15 & got to play with it......it's VERY comfy. I found some on-line last week, but lost the web page. They were only around $6.00 each.

It's driving me NUTS that I can't find it!

I'd really like to try one out on my AK!!

Thanks to ANYONE that can help.....I've spent MANY hours searching...ugh!
    This is not what your looking for but maybe an option????

Magwell grip by Mako
    http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant...egory_Code=_fg
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    This is not what your looking for but maybe an option????

Magwell grip by Mako
    http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant...egory_Code=_fg
    I saw those as well & they look good and actually function nicely....I played with them at a show as well......but I'll be using this on an AK-47 (no well).

The ones I saw slipped over the mag & had the finger cut out "bumps" just like the Houge grips (like on the 1911's). They were absolutely perfect for their intended use....providing a "forward" non -slip grip at the perfect location.

The only draw back is buying one for each mag....but they were only about $5 or $6 each. I found them on-line....but lost the damn link. I've searched so many different words & terms it made my head hurt!

Thanks!

(Berks County)

I think I found it.....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Sto...l.aspx?p=26734

Description matches, but I can't open the pictures here at work due to a filter block......

(Bucks County)

It certainly looks like what you've described.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, for the AK-47, that's the one I thought of right away.
    (the one you can't see. )

Never used one. Personally, I don't see the point, but everyone is different, otherwise there would be no market for such items.

ETA: Now you see it...

Ta-da!

Last edited by Emptymag; January 20th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, for the AK-47, that's the one I thought of right away.
    (the one you can't see. )

Never used one. Personally, I don't see the point, but everyone is different, otherwise there would be no market for such items.

ETA: Now you see it...

Ta-da!

Ahhh thanks...not the exact product, but very, very, very similar!

I didn't want to go with quad rails (to mount a forward grip) on my build & wanted to keep the conventional AK look as much as possible. At the range I find myself holding onto the mag while standing to shoot as well as at the bench. The position just comes naturally & I like the finger grooves for more control.

(Allegheny County)

Can't you use something like a bike tube? I'm sure you can make a bunch of them from one tube. Plus I would think the curve of an AK mag would work well with the curve of the tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Wow, a product designed to not only part a fool from his money but to help induce failures to feed AND promote a horribly inefficient and inherently inaccurate and potentially dangerous hold on the weapon. BRILLIANT!
    A magazine well grip let alone a magazine grip is inherently unstable as it places your support hand about as close as it will get to the axis point of the weapon, the buttstock. Gripping further out not only allows you to transition between target quicker and more accurately it is also an inherently more stable support point. Add into that equation the ever present danger of a KaBoom where a large portion of the blast is directed down the magwell and out the magazine and you have a grip that is not only less effective, less accurate but also potentially hazardous. You would be better off training out bad habits than spending money to accomodate them.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Wow, a product designed to not only part a fool from his money but to help induce failures to feed AND promote a horribly inefficient and inherently inaccurate and potentially dangerous hold on the weapon. BRILLIANT!
    A magazine well grip let alone a magazine grip is inherently unstable as it places your support hand about as close as it will get to the axis point of the weapon, the buttstock. Gripping further out not only allows you to transition between target quicker and more accurately it is also an inherently more stable support point. Add into that equation the ever present danger of a KaBoom where a large portion of the blast is directed down the magwell and out the magazine and you have a grip that is not only less effective, less accurate but also potentially hazardous. You would be better off training out bad habits than spending money to accomodate them.
    Wow, not exactly a post that I would expect from a "Grand Member" with 1000+ posts.......

Point me in the direction of an actual event that occured with an AK "kaboom" that blew apart a mag and/or hurt the shooter. Considering the fact that my forearm is right against the mag, I'd rather lose a hand than an entire arm......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast