Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default Usual distance to deer

I started deer hunting in 1955 in NJ and most deer I killed were shot at less than 35 yards cause buckshot was mandatory and after that distance it isn't reliable.

With a rifle I've killed about 15 deer and never shot at one over 125 yards, probably cause being from southern NJ [Tuckerton] I'm used to thick woods and seek out such locations. Ive shot deer with these cartridges, .44mag,.30/30, .30/06 and.270 and all had about the sme effect the deer ran about 50 yards then ran out of steam.

I was wondering if you had about the same shots and same effect, it seems that one cartridge is about as good as another at these ranges as long as it is meant for deer hunting.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Usual distance to deer

Montell,

My history is about the same. Perhaps my average distance with rifle or shotgun is about 50/60 yds and my average for archery is about 15/18 yds. I started deer hunting in 76. Shot 3 one year but stop at 2 now.

Last years deer were 55 paces with .06 in Washington Co and 35 with SG in Allegheny.

My rifle is a 30.06 pumpgun. My SG is a Ithaca 12 ga with rifled Bbl and 3X9 scope (set up for special regulation area). The longest kill shot I ever made on a deer was 95 paces with the Ithaca.

My bows were White tail hunter and currently I use a golden Eagle evolution.

I'v taken a 7mm mauser(first yr/no deer) Ruger Redhawk .44. S&W mod 66 .357 but have never made shots with these guns.

I've shot about 40 deer(Forest--Allegheny-Washington counties)

Interest seems to be waning as i am the only one who eats it. My dogs get happy.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

The first deer I shot was at about 125 yards with a 7mm mag and it ran about 50 yards and dropped dead.

The second one I shot was a doe at about 50 yards with a headshot being the end of its life...Actually I shot it once as it was running and wounded it, then it dropped to the ground for a second and as it was getting up I shot it in the head...I don't like to see them suffer.

I will get back to you if I shoot a deer this season with my new 30.06. And if I get more than one then I will let you know the outcome of all of them.

Good luck this season btw as it is coming up pretty quickly now...Cant wait!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

The bottom line is most deer are taken under 100 yds. In Pa anyway. I was never much of a long distance hunter. I like it up close and personal. In my younger days i tried to set myself up for the 150+ yd shot. Never shot a deer.
    Started bow hunting in my early 20's and learned patience. Now I tag out most years and when I shoot a deer at 75 yds it seems like a mile. IMO at 150yds and under it doesn't much matter what you use just have fun.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

A bit less history under the belt. I have taken deer with a .243, 7mm-08, .308 and .45 cal muzzleloader. All were good vital shots and the farthest one ever went was about 25yds after a 250-275 yard shot with the 7mm-08 - my current favorite. Most dropped in their tracks, a few went maybe 15 feet. 98% of the deer were shot between 25 and maybe 90 yds.

I think the worst thing (and the biggest mistake many make) for deer is the use of premium/high dollar fancy bullets as they tend to over penetrate and not transfer the full ft-lbs into PA size deer. Plain old Core-lokt/Power-Points etc. "standard" bullets always seem to work better than the fancy stuff on PA whitetails for me. Shot placement is paramount (go for the heart/lung area) and use a tree/rail/rock wall whenever possible to place your shot precisely. That's my advice to anyone listening
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Jefferson County)

I've taken deer with the following: 30-30, 32Win Spl, .357mag pistol, and 45-70. All the deer I've taken in PA and WV were within 30 yards. The (2) deer I've taken in FL were with my (formerly) Colt Python 357 and those were 40-50yrds.

Not many folks shoot much farther where I hunt. I prefer the pine and brush thickets where visible range is sometimes measured in feet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Fulton County)

You know your right most deer in Pa are 150 yard and under.

I do know a few people who hunt in there fields and have shot deer at long distance 200 350 yards

When i do hunt its usually in the woods so you can only shoot as far as you can see between 20-40 yards

Years ago i hunted with my sisters boyfriend, well one season his dad Art shot at a buck running with 2 does and the bullet went into the buck killed it then hit the doe and killed it also with a 300 win mag