Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: MAK90 slanted ?

(Lancaster County)

Default MAK90 slanted ?

So is this considered a slanted receiver or square ??

No longer posting

(York County)

Default Re: MAK90 slanted ?

That's a slant, but looks like somebody took a grinder to a straight cut receiver.
    A Straight cut will be just that...90° to the bore axis of the rifle.
    The slants will be about 50° to 60° relative to the bore axis.
    Your rifle appears to have been ground to fit the stock. The cut seems to be radiused, Every MAK I've seen, the cut was arrow straight. So, if you buy a replacement stock, suggest you see how the stock is cut and match to that (hopefully, the stock will be trimmed beter then the receiver).
    Last edited by RoyJackson; January 19th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lancaster County)

its a brand new gun (well never fired ) , i guess it came from the factory like that. It is a milled receiver though.
    No longer posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    its a brand new gun (well never fired ) , i guess it came from the factory like that. It is a milled receiver though.
    It's definitely a slant cut. So your saying that it's a milled receiver? Very nice. In all honesty, if I were in your shoes I would put a under folder stock. I will try to dig up some pictures of what it will look like.

If it were a straight cut milled .. it would be a great rifle to make into a Polytech Legend clone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Found the picture (not mine) ...

If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    It's definitely a slant cut. So your saying that it's a milled receiver? Very nice. In all honesty, if I were in your shoes I would put a under folder stock. I will try to dig up some pictures of what it will look like.

If it were a straight cut milled .. it would be a great rifle to make into a Polytech Legend clone.
    Don't the underfolders require a stamped or milled indent at the hinging point?

riverpirate, that's a pretty rare rifle you've got. I was of the understanding all the MAK-90 rifles had stamped receivers. Might also explain why the angle cut looks so sloppy (meaning hand dressed down rather then a stamped blank).
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

Considering that imported CHICOM semi's of any kind ('cept shotguns) are never-more, and that full-tilt "AKM-looking" WASRs can be had everywhere at affordable prices; you might just want to leave that MAK90 unmodified for collectibility/resale value reasons.

Kinda like, why bubba a CHICOM SKS when there are so many cheap Yugos around?

Just a suggestion.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lancaster County)

Well , i would like to keep it stock , the only problem is my hands dont fit it. The thumbhole is to small for me to get a good grip on it. Ive been thinking of just openning up the whole in the stock more to fit my hand but i cant decide. Ive looked a so many different stocks i cant decide.

I decided to put a cover mounted tri rail on the top for a red dot scope and maybe a flashlight mount.
    No longer posting

(Monroe County)

Actually Polytech legend IS a Norinco , Polytech is just the name of a Chinese marketing group, they dont make anything.

NORINCO, (North China industrial company) IS the manufacturer, Norinco makes everything from swords and bayonets to high tech ICBM's.

Some "Polytech" Guns from the early 80's will have both names on the guns, Norinco and Polytech.

Nyman , i'm bbaaack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Considering that imported CHICOM semi's of any kind ('cept shotguns) are never-more, and that full-tilt "AKM-looking" WASRs can be had everywhere at affordable prices; you might just want to leave that MAK90 unmodified for collectibility/resale value reasons.

Kinda like, why bubba a CHICOM SKS when there are so many cheap Yugos around?

Just a suggestion.
    I don't see making it what it SHOULD have been "bubba-ing" it. I know that I would pay more for a "converted" MAK90, then a "stock" MAK90. Unless your talking about putting something like a tapco stock on it, then I'm in complete agreement with you.