Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Rifle Vs Pistol?

I've reloaded a few thousand rounds of pistol and have considered jumping into reloading rifle. I don't have anything fancy but it would be nice to reload some 7.62x54r and some 7.62x39 when possible.

Is there a difference in procedure between rifle and pistol? Anything I need to watch out for etc?

I have a Lee Pro 1000 if that matters at all.

Thanks,
    Anthony

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Rifle Vs Pistol?

You'll need to lube the cases, where as most pistol dies are carbide not requiring lube.

The Lee Pro 1000 isn't really designed for rifle cartridges. The shell plate options are rather limited to handgun and to rifle cartridges that share the same rim diameter as the .223Rem. The .45acp shell plate should be able to hold .473" diameter rimmed cartridges like .308win, 30-06, 270, etc, etc, etc. But I dont know if the timing of the press allows the shell plate to drop far enough before advancing with longer cartridges.

With rifle too, many dies are only 2 piece sets. A sizing die and a seating/crimp die. You'll have to either skip a step or find a 3 die set.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, I do have a single stage press as well. I'm guessing that would be better for this?

I'm wondering if it is worth it to reload rifle as I don't plan on shooting any matches. Just looking for cheap ways to shoot them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Thanks, I do have a single stage press as well. I'm guessing that would be better for this?

I'm wondering if it is worth it to reload rifle as I don't plan on shooting any matches. Just looking for cheap ways to shoot them.
    It depends on what you're shooting.. If you have something that spits out lots lead with a big magazine attached, odds are you'll go through more ammo thus requiring a faster press to make it worth while. A single will do just fine for target and hunting where you're not expending ammo like an angry postman, but trying to load for a gun which you get Happy Trigger Syndrome - well, a single stage just isn't worth it sometimes.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 I use specifically for 44spl, 44mag, and 45LC since they share the same shell plate - just gotta change dies.

For everything else I use my RCBS Jr. single stage. And I will be adding a long stroke turret soon so I dont have to spin out the dies each time I load a 45-120 just to get the shell out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Well, the x39 spits it out. The x54 I can shoot about 60 rounds before my shoulder starts to get pissed at me.

(Juniata County)

The x54 I can shoot about 60 rounds before my shoulder starts to get pissed at me.
    I can't speak about the 7.62 x 39 (I don't have any guns in that caliber), but I can comment on the 7.62 x 54R.

I buy the surplus ammo by the spam can instead of reloading for 7.62X 54r. For the cost of the bullets, powder, and primers (not to mention my free time), it's not worth it yet in my opinion. Most of my jacketed rifle bullets I use in my rifle rounds cost me over $0.20 each. The last time I bought surplus ammo for my 7.62 x 54R, it was less than $0.20 each ($80 or so per 440 rounds) and all I have to do is load the rifle and pull the trigger. Yeah, it's "corrosive", but I clean after shooting anyways. I do save my boxer primed brass cases for a rainy day, but it's still sunny in the surplus 7.62 x 54R market last time I looked. Just something to think about.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

You have the press- already? Cool, now all you need is a die-set and you are in business.

Like knight said, the only difference is that you MUST lube the cases. If you are going to shoot the reloads in the same rifle you originally fired them, you do not need to "full-length resize" them, and can do neck-size only. That makes the job easier, faster and cheaper. You won't wreck your brass or wear it out quite so fast. Surplus bullets ARE available at economical prices, you just have to shop a bit.

Plus the fun you get, you save money and get to load ammunition you really KNOW.

Enjoy, there are a lot of people on this board who will be more than happy to help you every step of the way. Just ask. See, like already.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Luzerne County)

I've reloaded a few thousand rounds of pistol and have considered jumping into reloading rifle. I don't have anything fancy but it would be nice to reload some 7.62x54r and some 7.62x39 when possible.

Is there a difference in procedure between rifle and pistol? Anything I need to watch out for etc?

I have a Lee Pro 1000 if that matters at all.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    I was going to get into reloading 7.62x39 and eventually 7.62x54R, but quickly realized that it is just not worth it if you're only reloading to save money. If your goal is to develop a very accurate load out of your rifle, by all means do so... but otherwise, you'll be lucky to break even on components (and AKs chew up brass). Here's a thread I started on reloading 7.62x39. In the end, after looking into the process more on my own and reading others' comments I decided against it... at this point in time anyhow.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to all those who have replied. I'm thinking it might not be the best this to jump into at the moment. The cost of the ammo I'm shooting is either cheap, or I'll shoot way too much too fast.

I guess at the moment it just isn't worth jumping into it, at least for what I was planning on.