Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA, DA/SA, DAO

(Northampton County)

Default SA, DA/SA, DAO

Now I will admit here and now, I don't have a whole lot of experience with pistol shooting. I have fired a few but mostly when I was much younger.

One of the last pistols I got to shoot was a Taurus PT92 that was DA/SA. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the DA to SA was a hugely noticeable difference. First shot took a long, smooth pull of the trigger for DA, the next shots took a huge about of takeup then a fairly short pull to fire the next shots SA.

Do all DA/SA pistols have this problem? Is it just one of the caveats of the design? I have to say that going from the long smooth pull of the first round to the long takeup before a short crisp pull of the next rounds was rather disconcerting. Basically, I'm not a big fan of DA/SA pistols.

Any pistol I get is going to end up being either single action only or double action only. Now if anyone can point me towards a DA/SA system that doesn't suffer from the odd feeling setup like I mentioned, I'm all ears (and trigger fingers if someone will let me try them out )

Anybody else have this kind of issue with the DA/SA setup?

Default Re: SA, DA/SA, DAO

It all has to do with the quality of the trigger pull(s) in the particular gun. I've used good and bad examples of all, plus SA/DA .
    Some people really put off by transition , others handle it in stride.
    While individual guns vary, well broken in SIG classic ( ie P220 -P229 ) have a rep for good pulls and managable transistions.
    People who do use DA/SA need to practice the transition until feels natural.
    It comes down to personal preference like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge .

(Chester County)

I may be a bit young and dumb at this point, but I personally prefer the DA/SO trigger. I think of the long heavy trigger as a safety feature, a short light trigger will always be easier to set off by accident than a long heavy one. Also the the double action feature would help with a light strike. If it were a choice between SA and DAO I would go for the DA, otherwise the DA/SA.

(Lackawanna County)

I've yet to fire a DA/SA that doesn't have a longer pull for the first shot and less for the follow ups. While it's not some people's preference, like the DA as the first shot as a safety of sorts. The police across the country have shown the difference when they transferred from revolvers and the AD/ND rates skyrocketed. In many defense situations, the first shot from a pistol will not be aimed that well, but adrenaline is flowing. If you need to draw your sidearm, but not necessarily fire it, the DA/SA setup is helps in that aspect. If you've fired the first round, there's good odds that you'll need more than one. Follow up shots are easier with SA, especially in a stressful situation. A SA setup usually ends up with either one left out of the pipe, hammer left down, or safety on (unless it's a safe action setup, like Glocks). DA only setups don't normally have this extra step put in by the person carrying it, as the long trigger pull avoids an AD/ND. While the transition feel might seem odd, SA/DA definitely has it's advantages.

The Taurus 92 that you tried (ignoring Beretta design arguments) isn't that good of a DA/SA setup. I'm familiar with them, and never should have been made. It's far from Taurus's best work, and it isn't that good of a gun. The options for guns in DA/SA is somewhat limited, but if you want to try a good example, go with Sig. At least then, you'll be able to have a fair trial to see if you like the setup.

(Montgomery County)

The most important safety feature should be the guy or gal who controls the finger.

As for take up, smoothness and crispness of a trigger remember that they can all be modified by a good gunsmith. Guns, like cars rarely come perfect from the manufacturer. A good gunsmith can do a trigger job for a fraction of the cost of a new weapon.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

This is the exact reason I bought a Glock. Consistant trigger pull EVERY time. Some other guns to check out would be the XD and M&P. I know Sig and HK also make DAO pistols, you just have to buy one with that trigger setup. All 1911's are SAO. My HK USP compact has a good solution also. When you load the gun, you can put the safety on with the gun already cocked. This gives you a SA trigger pull every time unless you decock the pistol, then it's DA/SA. I guess you can look at the DA trigger pull as an additonal safety, I personally think having a consistant trigger pull is much safer. You know exactly when it will break every time and it's the same.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

I am among the DA/SA devotees. I believe that if you can't have an SAO and have to have a DA auto, the DA/SA is the way to go. As with all guns, makes and models vary and some will have better and some worse triggers. The key with most DA/SA autos though is to learn and use the trigger reset on subsequent SA shots. By releasing the trigger only to the point that the sear resets after each shot, you eliminate much if not all of the take up and slack you were experiencing on those SA shots with your Taurus. I've noticed that Sigs and CZ's have very good SA triggers when the reset is used properly.

Although most of the polymer striker fired guns also offer this feature, I find I am more comfortable with having an external hammer and a DA pull for that first shot.

AJ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    Anybody else have this kind of issue with the DA/SA setup?
    yes. many people do.

no DA/SA for me. i want the same trigger press every time. i want the same transition from one shot to the next every time. i want there to be as few things as possible with the potential to go wrong.

i've been in training classes where people brought DA/SA guns. at the beginning of the class, they swore it was not an issue. by the end of the class, they swore at the gun.

of course, there are some people who really do master the DA/SA trigger and love them. but, it is a steeper learning curve...and it really is just something else to screw up under the extreme stress of fighting for your life.

(master it for shooting at static targets on the square range isn't god enough, though. you have to be able to master it in dynamic situations shooting at from crazy positions while someone is trying to kill you. personally, in that situation, i want one button that works the same all the time. point-and-shoot.)
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapmaster87 View Post
    I think of the long heavy trigger as a safety feature
    you should probably stop thinking of it as such.

your finger should not be in the trigger guard unless you intend to press the trigger.

however, the long, heavy trigger could be a safety for the bad guy...as it could cause you to flinch and miss the bad guy with that all important first shot--especially if you do not do most of your practicing in DA mode.

just something to think about.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes. many people do.

no DA/SA for me. i want the same trigger press every time. i want the same transition from one shot to the next every time. i want there to be as few things as possible with the potential to go wrong.

i've been in training classes where people brought DA/SA guns. at the beginning of the class, they swore it was not an issue. by the end of the class, they swore at the gun.

of course, there are some people who really do master the DA/SA trigger and love them. but, it is a steeper learning curve...and it really is just something else to screw up under the extreme stress of fighting for your life.

(master it for shooting at static targets on the square range isn't god enough, though. you have to be able to master it in dynamic situations shooting at from crazy positions while someone is trying to kill you. personally, in that situation, i want one button that works the same all the time. point-and-shoot.)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    you should probably stop thinking of it as such.

your finger should not be in the trigger guard unless you intend to press the trigger.

however, the long, heavy trigger could be a safety for the bad guy...as it could cause you to flinch and miss the bad guy with that all important first shot--especially if you do not do most of your practicing in DA mode.

just something to think about.
    wow, you saved me a lot of typeing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast