Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

This story is a very, very big deal. Jones may be hard to handle sometimes but that doesn't change the facts behind what's going on here.

Here are the links to his interview with the promoter of this show:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

I know that this didn't happen in Pennsylvania, so we may not be so worried yet, but if they can get away with it in Texas they can do it anywhere.

This issue isn't really even about guns, it's about the constitution and rule of law. What we are seeing here is the destruction of a politically unpopular business through intimidation and color of law.

There have been no new Federal gun laws passed, there was no law passed in Texas regarding private sales at gun shows, nor were there any city ordinances passed. The BATFE simply pressured the local police, and together they pressured the owner of the venue and subsequently the promoter himself.

If no one voices concern, if no one stands up to this, the government (regardless of party in power) will know that they can do whatever they want, wherever they want, and will be accountable to no one.

I am shocked that this thread has not drawn the kind of attention and outrage that I'm used to seeing from members on this forum.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I am shocked that this thread has not drawn the kind of attention and outrage that I'm used to seeing from members on this forum.
    It's the tin foil hat thing. You quote anything or mention anything about him and you get labelled a conspiracy theorist.

Alex Jones does annoys me after a while so I take to reading the articles on his website instead. He does have some out there theories. One of them is the idea that a world government is being set up. Google 'Gordon Brown' and 'global governance' and see what turns up......

Also, Alex Jones carried the whole MIAC report before any other network would touch it. He has a lot of positives, but his 'crazy rants' can somewhat cheapen his other work.

This issue isn't really even about guns, it's about the constitution and rule of law. What we are seeing here is the destruction of a politically unpopular business through intimidation and color of law.
    To me, it seems like a clear case for asserting the 10th Amendment.
    Last edited by buster2209; January 19th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas
    actually, no, it doesn't. not even close.

of course, i'm not surprised that alex jones would use such a false, sensationalized headline...rather than sticking to an intellectually honest critique of the real issue. this is a very common tactic for him.

btw, how long 'til we all die of the ukranian superflu?

there aren't many people out there with alex jones' ability to take what is a minor but still important issue and liberally apply a huge helping of intellectual dishonesty trying to turn the minor, but real, issue into a major, but fake, issue. in the process, of course, he manages to take the focus off of the minor, but real, issue, and put it all on his intellectual dishonesty.

he hurts his own causes more than anyone else could...which is a shame because he actually manages to uncover some interesting things nobody else finds. but, then he tries to turn those things into something they are not and blows his own credibility.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; January 19th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    actually, no, it doesn't. not even close.

of course, i'm not surprised that alex jones would use such a false, sensationalized headline...rather than sticking to an intellectually honest critique of the real issue. this is a very common tactic for him.

there aren't many people out there with alex jones' ability to take what is a minor but still important issue and liberally apply a huge helping of intellectual dishonesty trying to turn the minor, but real, issue into a major, but fake, issue. in the process, of course, he manages to take the focus off of the minor, but real, issue, and put it all on his intellectual dishonesty.

he hurts his own causes more than anyone else could...which is a shame because he actually manages to uncover some interesting things nobody else finds. but, then he tries to turn those things into something they are not and blows his own credibility.
    I don't entirely disagree with you, but how many people would have even noticed this story if it weren't for the sensational headline?

I don't even think it's particularly sensational:

"BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales in Texas"

A notice made at the instruction of the BATF banned private gun sales at a gun show--it happened in Texas. Headlines need to be short, sweet, attention-grabbing and to the point.

I digress...Again, particularly with issues like these, we need to be observant and intelligent enough to research anddetermine the facts and stand up for what is right--not just ignore it because we aren't comfortable with the messenger.

If minor abuses are only met with minor responses, they will inevitably continue.

Clearly, we are not in Texas, there isn't going to be a crowd of PAFOA'ers marching on the next Texas Gun Show, but being aware of this will better enable to us to be prepared for it to happen here--instead of being taken by surprise and unable to respond.

(Allegheny County)

A notice made at the instruction of the BATF banned private gun sales at a gun show--it happened in Texas. Headlines need to be short, sweet, attention-grabbing and to the point.
    headlines also should be substantially factually accurate.

if anyone banned anything, it was the gun show, not the BATFE. moreover, i haven't watched the videos, but the paper notice itself did not actually ban anything...just made a request. did the gun show even actually prevent people from doing non-FFL FTF sales?

further, it does not apply to the entire state of texas. only this gun show.

it would be kinda like me screaming that my office is flooded because i have a glass of water sitting on my desk.

Again, particularly with issues like these, we need to be observant and intelligent enough to research anddetermine the facts and stand up for what is right--not just ignore it because we aren't comfortable with the messenger.
    and not just swallow BS because it fits in with our agendas or because we like the messenger. i'd get as fired up about the BATFE actually trying to ban private intrastate sales as anyone. but that isn't happening. any claim that it is happening is BS.

like you said, we need to stick to the facts.

If minor abuses are only met with minor responses, they will inevitably continue.
    and if one keeps screaming about the sky falling every time it rains, people won't listen when and if the sky ever really does fall.

Clearly, we are not in Texas, there isn't going to be a crowd of PAFOA'ers marching on the next Texas Gun Show, but being aware of this will better enable to us to be prepared for it to happen here--instead of being taken by surprise and unable to respond.
    being aware of what is really happening will help us.

thinking something that has not happened has happened will hurt us...especially if we go screaming about it to the general public (who will find out the truth and resent our having lied to them). we will be basing our thoughts and actions on a fairy tale.

(ETA: i'm not saying we should not be upset about this. i'm not saying we should not be asking why a local BATFE office requested that a gun show display such a notice. i'm not saying that such a request is proper. however, it is what it is...and it is only that...it is not what it is not. we shoot ourselves in the foot by trying to make it into something more.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; January 19th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Thank you for the correction and pointing me in the right direction, EXCELTOEXCEL AND KNIGHT0334
    I should have look it up first.

What you gentlemen have stated and what other's have talk about is,
    Not knowing the laws can get you in to trouble,
    at the same time!!
    Not knowing the laws could cost you your rights in the long run.

How many Americans are out their right now?
    Thinking about their 2A & Article 1; Section 21 "PA Constitution" Right to Bear Arms
    But are not willing because of fear or trouble of breaking some law that really doesn't exist.
    Then their are those who, Well never think about the law. Then go and do some thing dumb. We have seen it in the past, Blown way out of proportion in the "so called ??NEWS??"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12