Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense gun.

(Cumberland County)

Default Defense gun.

I know there are tons of threads on here and I've read most of them. I'm still having a hard time making up my mind.

First I have never fired a pistol grip gun, what are the pros and cons to it? I would assume it gives better control? Plus I can shoot from the hip (kidding).

I've looked at the Remi 870 tactical and the mossberg 500. I see Benelli has a nice one as well.

I'm certain I want pump action, not sure about the stock choices, I'd prefer something that makes it nice to shoot.

How about sights? I think the 870 only has a BB sight, the Benelli has front and rear.

What do you guys have and why did you pick them.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Defense gun.

Don't overpay for a pump shotgun. Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 (Police model preferable) will do the job.

The self defense shotgun's role is for close range, fast-acting encounters where the pace of events exceeds your ability to aim a standard rifle or handgun.

Given that, IMO rifle style sights are the wrong choice for a shotgun. There's no need. At the ranges we're talking -- 15 yards and in, often much closer -- front bead is 100% of what you need. Put bead on target, pull trigger. Ghost ring sights on a SG are like putting racing tires on a Model T.

Sidesaddle or butt cuff are nice in some contexts, but increase the complexity of the manual of arms, hence require more training and practice. Most home defense encounters can be settled with 5 rds of buckshot.

Pistol grip = unnecessary for most needs. Its benefits come from "tactical" considerations like being able to open/close doors while holding the gun one-handed. Again, making a big deal over a fringe issue. It does not really give better control -- your shoulder is doing the hard work, not your firing hand.

So:

Weapon-mounted light, extended mag tube = highly desirable.
    Sidesaddle = nice to have.
    Pistol grip, fancy sights = don't bother.

Pump shotgun is not hard to use BUT it's easy to short stroke under pressure, hence get training.

if your looking at those shotguns, chances are your gonna be buying it with a straight stock, and you can add the pistol grip stock(if you choose) later on,they range from $35, to $135. I've got a mossberg 590, and a mossberg 500breacher that sleeps in the bed with us. the sights are kinda personal preference usualy, i've never found I need more than the BB sight for a shotty.. as for brand, personal preference once again, I'd doubt you'd have problems with any of those 3 guns, I'm a mossberg guy myself.

(Bucks County)

I have a maverick 88 (same as the mossberg 500) and i have had a benelli in the past.

this is my take on it - the benelli was a really nice gun, but taking the time to mess with rifle sights in a dark house during a home invasion is a pain and also, the benelli was pretty heavy and a little on the long side even though it had an 18" barrel. the slide release button was also on the left side of the gun which was a little hard to reach from a natural firing position. add on top of that, that the benelli costs about three times what a mossberg does and for gun that's mostly going to be just sitting by your bed collecting dust might as well have a less expensive one that's just as reliable.

now, the maverick that i have is light, short, the trigger release is on the trigger finger side and it has the bb sight. I just paint the rear half of the bb with hi vis or glow in the dark paint and anywhere you point the gun you can see exactly where the end of the barrel is. honestly, i love my mossberg/maverick (i have one of each, lol)

now, to the stock question - i say skip the pistol grip and get one with the normal stock and a pistol grip or just a plain stock - that way, if shtf you can pull the gun up to your shoulder and that thing will pointing whichever direction you look or face.......... just my opinion...............
    D
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Jefferson County)

Pistol grip

Pro:
    Shoulder stocks with pistol grips help in control and recoil management.

Con:
    Slight addition to weight(which has a positive effect of absorbing recoil)
    one extra thing to snag on something
    generally cost more

Overall:
    the tactical look is just that, a look.. Any birdgun of similar barrel length is just as capable and just as managable. Its just a matter of preferences in eye candy.

If you're a shotgun shooter, the pistol grip wont matter much. Nor will tactical sights when using shells of buckshot or birdshot. Slug accuracy would most likely improve. If you're gonna use buckshot, a bead sight is plenty for aiming and will less likely catch on your wife's knit curtains/table cover as you sneak around the room to get into a better position.

Here is my tactical home defense/anti-dove/rabbit splatterer:

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Sorry guys I just realized when I said pistol grip I was not clear. I did not mean just a pistol grip by itself. The 870 I looked at had the grip and an adjustable stock. the 500 had a solid stock.

I'm not sure what you call the traditional grip on a SG? I figure I will take it out and play as much as possible. If out target shooting is there much of a benefit to either hand grip method?

I'll keep doing some research, just wanted to get some opinions.

(Allegheny County)

I like the "best of both worlds" option of a pistol grip stock.
    I put this Choate stock on my inexpensive Mossberg Persuader.

Sights? My persuader came w/factory Ghost Ring sights and I love them.

I agree with the others about not needing sights for close work, but I tried someone's pump at a shoot recently and couldn't hit sh!t with it at about 30 feet. I'm not sure he even had a bead on the front though. I felt like a retard, (PC incorrect word shows my age) but when I used my gun, I blasted those plates without even thinking about it...

Good luck!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cumberland County)

so what is a good place to research all these? Remington has some nice models but how do I find prices and such?

The 870 xcs looks nice. Sorry that is the marine magnum.

(Bucks County)

I converted my Mossberg 500A into a Persuader model. After having both a pistol grip stock and a standard factory stock on it, I prefer the factory stock without the pistol grip. The pistol grip stock seemed to get in my way and I always shot it better without the pistol grip.

I like my pistol grip stock on my Mossberg 835 turkey gun, however. It's much easier and more comfortable for me to hold while I'm sitting against a tree and working a turkey call.

As for sights, I have the standard factory bead on my 500 and it serves me fine with bird or buck shot out to 25 yards or so. I can't hit a damn thing with it with slugs, but I figure if I'm in a situation where I need to shoot slugs, I should have a rifle.

(Philadelphia County)

if you're going to do anything to the stock, get one with a shorter legnth of pull. either a youth model stock or an aftermarket stock with about a 12" LOP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast