Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Restrictions

Default AR Restrictions

I'm planning to build an AR, is there a short 'n sweet summary in plain English that any of you guys have regarding any PA State regulations limiting me to what I can legally build and own? I'd appreciate any non-legalese explanation to make sure I'm free can clear of the long arm of the law. Thanks!

Default Re: AR Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    I'm planning to build an AR, is there a short 'n sweet summary in plain English that any of you guys have regarding any PA State regulations limiting me to what I can legally build and own? I'd appreciate any non-legalese explanation to make sure I'm free can clear of the long arm of the law. Thanks!
    Really isn't any. Build away!

we're not in NY or Cali or any of the "high cap ban" states so your imagination is the limit. If you're buying used parts off the net make sure you're not getting an m16 fcg, I nabbed one off arfcom when I didn't know any better for a steal and wound up not being able to use them and had to destroy them anyways.

That was for my first AR I built a couple years back, so lesson learned and passed on.

Have fun building!

(Berks County)

PA doesn't really have any restrictions unlike states like NJ. Just about any flavor of weapon is legal here. The only requirements we are under are Federal for the most part.

That being said there are a few considerations.

Barrel length....anything under 16" is considered an SBR (short barreled rifle) and falls under getting the tax stamp. I am not totally familiar with that procedure....hopefully someone will chime in and correct me or give more info on the specifics.

The only other thing is what you want...do you want an AR pistol? or AR rifle? If you buy an AR rifle receiver you can not turn it into a pistol and vice versa.

As far as bayonet lugs, muzzle breaks, or magazine restrictions it is pretty much whatever you want to do.

If you go the rifle route, and stick to a barrel over 16", you can do whatever you want to your AR.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    If you go the rifle route, and stick to a barrel over 16", you can do whatever you want to your AR.
    Knew I missed something, thanks for covering that!

(Delaware County)

PA doesn't really have any restrictions unlike states like NJ. Just about any flavor of weapon is legal here. The only requirements we are under are Federal for the most part.

That being said there are a few considerations.

Barrel length....anything under 16" is considered an SBR (short barreled rifle) and falls under getting the tax stamp. I am not totally familiar with that procedure....hopefully someone will chime in and correct me or give more info on the specifics.

The only other thing is what you want...do you want an AR pistol? or AR rifle? If you buy an AR rifle receiver you can not turn it into a pistol and vice versa.

As far as bayonet lugs, muzzle breaks, or magazine restrictions it is pretty much whatever you want to do.

OVER 16" or 16" and over?

(Berks County)

SBR----includes any rifle with a buttstock and either a rifled barrel under 16" long or an overall length under 26". The overall length is measured with any folding or collapsing stocks in the extended position.

I forgot to add the overall lenth of 26".
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Centre County)

All AR stripped receivers are just that; stripped receivers, they are neither rifle s nor pistols. A stripped receiver can be built into an AR pistol or an AR rifle. If the receiver is built into a rifle, it cannot be converted to a pistol (not without the proper paperwork). If it is built into a pistol it can be converted to a rifle but it cannot revert back to a pistol without submitting the proper forms.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If it is built into a pistol it can be converted to a rifle but it cannot revert back to a pistol without submitting the proper forms.
    If there is no need for paper work to convert pistol in to rifle, then how are they going to know that you converted the rifle back to pistol again?
    I thought the I heard somewhere that stripped reciever - regardless of your intention with it - now needs to go through same paper work as pistol(fill out SP4-113)?

As far as barrel length goes, you can use less then 16" without being SBR, as long as you attach flash hider or muzzle brake thats long enough that the total length combined it 16" or more. Such as using ultrashort 11.5-inch barrel(which would normaly be restricted), then attach CAR 15 Extended Flash Suppressor, that is 5.5" in length, to make it total of 17" would be legal(I could be wrong. Please verify).

But trusted gunsmith once told me that you'd lose too much velocity. I think they look cool, however...

Muzzle attachment MUST permanently attached (pinned and welded over - such way that it will no longer be able to be removed) attached to the barrel in this case tho...
    Last edited by Mity2; January 18th, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    If there is no need for paper work to convert pistol in to rifle, then how are they going to know that you converted the rifle back to pistol again?
    In all reality they probably wouldn't know if you did this unless for some reason you had your house searched and they found all the parts to build a pistol and asked where your BATFE Forms are (an AR with a stock and a short pistol barrel equals a SBR).

I thought the I heard somewhere that stripped reciever - regardless of your intention with it - now needs to go through same paper work as pistol(fill out SP4-113)?
    There is a whole longgggg thread concerning this http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...s-changes.html

(Centre County)

As far as barrel length goes, you can use less then 16" without being SBR, as long as you attach flash hider or muzzle brake thats long enough that the total length combined it 16" or more. Such as using ultrashort 11.5-inch barrel(which would normaly be restricted), then attach CAR 15 Extended Flash Suppressor, that is 5.5" in length, to make it total of 17" would be legal(I could be wrong. Please verify) . But trusted gunsmith once told me that you'd lose too much velocity.

Muzzle attachment MUST be permanently(by welding it or pin it, and pin is put in such way that it will no longer be able to be removed) attached to the barrel in this case tho...

This is correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast