Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock Mag Release??

Hello everyone,

A few buddies and I had a nice day at Classic Pistol a few weeks back. My pal brought his new Glock 30 and let me shoot more than few mags. In short, loved it, loved it loved it...and now I want one. lol.

That said, I had one issue. The mag release. I've never owned a Glock in the past and I have been eying up several models. Namely the G17, G19 and now G30. The things is, that stinkin mag release just doesn't want to cooperate with me. I feel like my hand fit the grip but whenever I hit that button the mag doesn't drop in a way that I find acceptable. In fact, there are times when the release doesn't engage at all and I have to shift the pistol quite a bit to get it engaged. Also, there are times when I get it engaged and teh mag doesn't fall....just sits there. Finally, there are times when I hot the release and I feel tha protrusion on the other side of the gun against the middle finger of my strong side grip...which essentially prevents me from fully compressing the release button. My current shooter is an old SIG 226 and the mag release is smooth as silk. Not sure why but the mag release is a huge deal to me and given that its the same for all Glocks I'm worried that its pushing me out of teh Glock experience. Thing is, I want one pretty bad.

So, a few questions...

I know there is a Glock factory mag extension available. Based on everyone's experiences, will this correct my issues? Also, if not, is this a deal breaker for me owning a Glock or is it something that, based on the groups experience, I'll get used to or learn how to deal more effectively with over time?

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

-seeker
    Last edited by speedseeker; January 17th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Glock Mag Release??

You can get an extended release and/or compress the spring a little bit so it isn't as hard to engage/press.

Lycannotreallyadealbreakerthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You can get an extended release and/or compress the spring a little bit so it isn't as hard to engage/press.
    I knew about teh extended mag release. Can you tell me more about compressing the spring? Does it require an armorer?

Then again, why the heck doesn't Glock make them that way in the first place??? Kind of silly if you ask me, since from what I understand, most owners get the extended release for this very reason.
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Westmoreland County)

The extended magazine release will probably help, but you will still feel the protrusion on the opposite side of the grip.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    The extended magazine release will probably help, but you will still feel the protrusion on the opposite side of the grip.
    I mean, does everyone feel the protrusion? Or is it just me? If so, do you just get used to it or is there a technique that folks use to eliminate the issue?

Given what I have described, do you guys feel it is a deal breaker for me or...?

(Westmoreland County)

I rarely notice it at all, and it would not have been a deal breaker for me.

If it bothers you enough, you might want to look in a different direction, as you may never get past it.

(Allegheny County)

I may have missed it, but are you using "drop-free" mags?

Just thought I'd mention it in case it's not a mag release issue after all.

I have a hell of a time operating the mag release on mine. Small hands.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know what drop free mag is! (hangs his noobie head in shame) Care to give me some more info on them? Also, interesting that you purchased the Glock even though you have a hard time working with the mag release. Am wondering if there was a particular reason you chose to buy anyway given the trouble you have with the release...may get me past my hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

while looking for a gun (still am) I talked to shawn.l about a used g19 that was posted on buds and it came with 3 or 4 mags that weren't drop free mags. The point to this post is...yeah what he said

(Allegheny County)

I'm not expert enough to explain the difference (you can tell by looking at the mags), but essentially, some Glock mags do not drop out without assistance.

interesting that you purchased the Glock even though you have a hard time working with the mag release. Am wondering if there was a particular reason you chose to buy anyway given the trouble you have with the release...
    Sure. It's because it was the only autoloader that my wife was able to operate the slide. So we bought it. It's the house gun, primarily.

I guess I should have clarified by saying that I have difficulty doing it with one hand. It's just too far away, and I need to do some "maneuvering" in order to drop the mag with one hand.

It isn't that the mag release doesn't work properly, it's that my hands weren't designed by Glock.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast