Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default A few questions regarding age and law.

Hey all,
    I've been interested in firearms all my life, and now that I'll be 18 in September I think it would be best to get some purchasing questions answered.

First, since I'm only 17 and have no one in my family even faintly interested in guns, I have no reference points for becoming an owner. I am in the process of reasoning with my mom who for some reason thinks guns have a natural tendency to break free from their locks and kill at random. Assuming I am aloud to keep one in our house(perfectly safe of course) I'd like some info. This leads us to my first series of questions: How old do you have to be to purchase a firearm in Philadelphia? And how would i first go about doing so?

Now i think i know the answer to part 1 already..18 for rifles and shotguns, and 21 for handguns right? But i was talking to my older brother (19) who told me that in order to even purchase a rifle before 21, i need to get a hunting license or something. This sounds ridiculous to me since i have no intention of hunting and am only interested in target shooting. Also, i am mainly interested in ww2 era guns and am very fond of the M1 Garand (GAR-UNHD or GA-RAND? i mean seriously lol).

Anyway, if i can indeed purchase rifles at 18, then i also need info on something I've seen before. I've read that in order to buy a gun that's over 40(don't know the exact number) years old, you need some sort of "collectors license". Can anyone ever shed any light on this subject.

Lastly, and I'm sure you are tired of this wall of text(if anyone even bothered reading it at all), what are the steps i should take for purchasing my first gun? I'd like to know what I am doing before walking into a gun shop and looking stupid. Or is that exactly what i should do and just ask?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Your friend,
    Mark.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: A few questions regarding age and law.

18 to buy long guns
    21 to buy pistols/handguns/NFA

...and a clean criminal record (nothing you could have been imprisoned for a year or more for)

That's it in a nutshell

The collector license is not needed for 40yr old guns. Collector license allows you buy direct from distributors (no PICS check, form 4473, etc) guns that are listed as "Curios and Relics" or over 50 yrs old.

The info about having a hunting license is incorrect. No such requirement.

Last edited by Pa. Patriot; August 16th, 2007 at 11:29 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lawrence County)

18 to buy a long gun if you can pass PICS... No problems... All you need is photo ID, a clean record, and cash in hand...
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    what are the steps i should take for purchasing my first gun? I'd like to know what I am doing before walking into a gun shop and looking stupid. Or is that exactly what i should do and just ask?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Your friend,
    Mark.
    Walk in, fondle firearms, speak and point "I want that one", fill out paperwork, pay for merchandise, buy ammo, go shooting where legal... Doesn't get much simpler than that unless you live outside of Philly... The guy sees me walking towards the guns and he was a form ready to sign! lol
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Cambria County)

Never thought about this before. But I can buy an AR-15 or an AK-47 at 18. But have to wait to buy a 22 caliber pistol. MMMMMMMM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Pike County)

Hi MajorTom, and welcome. As it appears that you have no real exposure to firearms, please find a certified instructor in you area and take a basic safety class. I am not from you area, but most likely there is a range within travel distance that rents an assortment of guns. It can be a lttle expensive, but try a few to see what works for you. Consider a good .22, as the ammo is cheaper and you can get in a lot of shooting without going broke. Subscribe to a few gun magazines, they will have a lot of info for you. Check out the NRA website.
    It probably won't help with your Mother, but I have been shooting since I was 5 years old, and have managed not to shoot myself in 43 years of shooting.
    Learn, and be safe.

(Jefferson County)

1. 21 to buy one from a FFL
    2a. 18 if given one from a parent or grandparent. no paperwork necessary
    2b. 18 if given from, or purchasing from, any other person who lawfully owns the handgun, BUT it must be transfered through a SHERIFF. FFL's can only use the instant background check for firearms that they have listed in their bound books - and for you to receive it from the FFL you must be 21. Since Sheriffs aren't required to do such - they may use the instant check required by PA law to do the transfer.**

1. 18 for rifles and shotguns

1. 21 for NFA devices: ShortBarreled Rifles/Shotguns, MachineGuns, Suppressors, Gadget Guns, Destructive Devices(no explosive DD's are legal in PA)

**See ATF Open Letter Below About Instant-Check Calls:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/122905pe...openletter.pdf
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Never thought about this before. But I can buy an AR-15 or an AK-47 at 18. But have to wait to buy a 22 caliber pistol. MMMMMMMM.
    It's harder to conceal an AK or AR-15. My question is what magically changes when I hit 21 that makes a handgun ok for me to control?

(Berks County)

MajorTom,

Welcome! It seems everyone covered most of your questions, expect for one thing:
    Using your pronunciation definitions, Garand is pronounced GA-RAND.

Hope you enjoy the site, you'll find it to be a great source of information.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

A lot of thanks everyone. I am truly grateful for all the responses.

I have had some shooting experience in the Poconos but I should take some courses. Would hate to be one of those guys who give respectful gun owners a bad name.

However now i have a few more questions. What do you mean when you say you need to pass a "PICS" check?
    Oh, and I have had zero encounters with law enforcement aside from a 5 minute late curfew violation a block away from my house (and that was bs if you ask me)

Also, when you say 21 to buy from a FFL, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean I can buy from a regular gun shop but not from individuals at gun shows? Or from places online? And where do you suggest buying from as opposed to not buying from?(considering price as a factor)

I think I'll check out that gun show at the national guard armory on Sat or Sun.

I owe my soul to all of you.

Danke,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast