Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Need a Gunsmith

(Bedford County)

Default Need a Gunsmith

I had this posted under pistols and got no response. So I thought I would try it here.

I live in Imler and work in Altoona and am looking for a gunsmith in Bedford, Blair, or possibly Cambria county who can install Hi Viz front sight on my Ruger P345. Does anyone out there know of one that would do a good job for a reasonable price? I like the Ruger but the sights are hard to pick up. They offer it in green and red. I think I am going to order the green light pipe. They say the eyes pick up green better than the red. Just need to find a gunsmith.

Thanks guys

Default Re: Need a Gunsmith

Have you considered installing it yourself? It's not a very difficult task and it will 1) allow you to learn about your firearm 2) save you time and money. I personally dislike sending off my weapons for any period of time. I will do everything myself, unless I don't have the tools or the know how.

(Bedford County)

I crossed my mind several times but I don't have a site pusher.

The info on the website http://www.hivizsights.com/RP2007---...ht-P99C10.aspx states:

HIVIZ Dovetail Sight Installation Warning!! We recommends gunsmith installation of dovetail sights. If a sight pusher is used for installation it must be of the type that pushes on the dovetail itself. Never use a sight pusher that exerts pressure on the blade of a sight. Our sight bases are manufactured from quality steel, but due to the design, sight pushers that exert pressure on the blade will damage the sight.

HIVIZ dovetails are manufactured slightly oversize to allow for dovetail cut wear on used guns. Fitting will likely be neccessary for proper installation.

I was just afraid to pay $40.00 + s & h for a site and break it. If you someone could help me select the right tools and talk me through it I'd be more than willing to give it a whirl.

I'll be waiting for some info!

(Northumberland County)

http://www.nicholsonperformance.com/...ccessories.htm

not the cheapest option, but if you have a few diff pistols, this may be handy for you.

"home-towner" from pa too. made right here.