Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default experience with a Sig DAO?

Bought my first Sig with DAO. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    Most of my pistols are DAO/SAO with de-cockers so it will be a new learning curve not to have the safety. I was wondering if anyone had experience with one.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: experience with a Sig DAO?

I don`t have good resolution on the pic but isn`t that a 2022 Sig Pro? I thought they were all DA/SA.

(Monroe County)

I've shot plenty of DAO's, and even DAO Sigs, but not the polymer framed Sigs. I'm sure it is typical of the breed with a long heavy pull for each shot. I am not a fan of the type, finding I can't consistently shoot them as accurately as I can a traditional DA/SA or a SAO. They will shoot fine at close range, as accurately as anything. As ranges begin to reach 15 yards or more, group sizes will grow. They are designed for quick and dirty combat for cops who don't put sufficient emphasis on firearms training to be trusted with more advanced trigger systems.

I can usually handle one or two DA rounds fine. As long as you concentrate on each and every shot equally well, a DAO is no less accurate then any other autoloader. The problem is, mastering that level of trigger control at longer distanced is more difficult then a SA trigger by far. The manual of arms is extremely simple, and that is the selling point for these guns. They are the new revolvers basically. It would probably make a dandy house gun where ranges would typically be short and quick shots the rule. Get out there and shoot it and let us know how you like it.

AJ

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    Bought my first Sig with DAO. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    Most of my pistols are DAO/SAO with de-cockers so it will be a new learning curve not to have the safety. I was wondering if anyone had experience with one.
    I am betting that most of your pistols are DA/SA, for if they were double action only or single action only there would not be a de-cocker in sight.

Sigs DAO's were terrible afterthoughts that eventually birthed the DAK system, which is superb. However, 70 bucks and a good local gunsmith can smooth out the pull and maybe lighten it just a little bit to make it far more enjoyable and effective.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

You can buy the PS2022 in DAO only. It's a $120 dollar option listed on the Sig web site.
    The left side photo shows the DAO has the decocker tab missing from the slot along the top radius of the grip. Couldn't pass up a 2009 Sig with 3/15 round mags for $300. If I don't like it I can probably get it turned back to DAO/SA. Anyway It wasn't bought to be a range gun.

Thanks for the feed back.

(Allegheny County)

hopefully 1blindref with chime in. I really think that he has just about every sig model ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Took the Sig to the range for the first time on Saturday and put 5 mags (60 rounds) of WWB & Remington FMJ through it at 30 ft. Took a little time to get use to the DAO but I am very happy with the pistol. No problems with the function of the gun at all. The nose did like to flip up on firing till I brought my outside index finger up to grip the top of the trigger guard at the bottom of the barrel. I see why people like Sigs.This one is a keeper.

(Blair County)

Why would a DAO pistol have a hammer? In the picture there is a hammer, can you not pull the hammer back? does pulling the hammer back not engage the trigger at all?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Why would a DAO pistol have a hammer? In the picture there is a hammer, can you not pull the hammer back? does pulling the hammer back not engage the trigger at all?
    This is the way sig builds them. Dao guns have the hammer on top, but the lower part of the hammer is different. Only the DAK models are without the hammer. You can pull the hammer back, but it will not stay back in the cocked postition.

The first time you see the hammer follow the slide forward while loading the chamber is a little scary if you are use to a de-cocker.

Sig has a built in safety that only allows the "trigger pull" to fire the weapon. The interesting thing you get use to is pulling the trigger 3/4 of the way back while lining up your shot then using the remaining 1/4 for the squeeze. The initial pull is long but very smooth.

Knowing you only have to pick it up, aim and pull the trigger makes your response time faster for home defense IMO. I'm left handed so flipping the decocker on the left side of the gun is a little more time consuming.