Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Need advice about something I know little about

I hope this is the right thread to put this on...

I posted before that there will be no Saiga in 7.62x54r in the U.S. and I hear that the PSL barrel cannot stand up to the repeated fire at the rage and/or in combat to be used for anything more than their version of a DM rifle.

I read that the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x54r PROJECTILE are the sale .311 diameters (correct me PLEASE if the x39 is .308 or something else, I am no expert).

Could I have an AK barrel threaded to fit on a PLS???

Could I take a PSL receiver with an AK kit and put it together (obviously there would be modification that would be needed)???

Could this be made to work?? Is this legal to use the receiver of one type of rifle and put everything else of another on it??

I know this may seem ridiculous; however, I have a lot of x54r ammo, it's cheap, and I would like to keep most of my weapons in one caliber so I only got to buy one type of ammo (besides the 22lr)

PLEASE...let’s hear some honest thoughts about it and if it is even going to possible/legal.

Feel free to make any other suggestions as well or corrections to what I have said that is wrong as well.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Need advice about something I know little about

Not the greatest, but there is far too much negative press on these firearms.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=153331936

Actual cost of the real deal may be less but this is what I found in under 20 seconds.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=152726340

Center Fire Systems has PSL's for $450 right now...I don;t think I could afford a SVD...a decent goes for around a 1K usually

(Berks County)

I'm just trying to point out they can be found, and unfortunately people label the romanian PSLs as junk because somebody on the interenet said so.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? Are you just trying to find a rifle with a system you are familure with? One thing I can say for sure is don't just float with the crowd. If you want a Dragonov styled 7.62x54 rifle don't opt for anything less, you will always want one and no matter how good the silver medal is perception holds the key to true happiness.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    Not the greatest, but there is far too much negative press on these firearms.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=153331936
    [/URL]
    What negative press? Almost everyone that I know that has a PSL likes them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by timd1978 View Post
    I hope this is the right thread to put this on...

I posted before that there will be no Saiga in 7.62x54r in the U.S. and I hear that the PSL barrel cannot stand up to the repeated fire at the rage and/or in combat to be used for anything more than their version of a DM rifle.

I read that the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x54r PROJECTILE are the sale .311 diameters (correct me PLEASE if the x39 is .308 or something else, I am no expert).

Could I have an AK barrel threaded to fit on a PLS???

Could I take a PSL receiver with an AK kit and put it together (obviously there would be modification that would be needed)???

Could this be made to work?? Is this legal to use the receiver of one type of rifle and put everything else of another on it??

I know this may seem ridiculous; however, I have a lot of x54r ammo, it's cheap, and I would like to keep most of my weapons in one caliber so I only got to buy one type of ammo (besides the 22lr)

PLEASE...let’s hear some honest thoughts about it and if it is even going to possible/legal.

Feel free to make any other suggestions as well or corrections to what I have said that is wrong as well.
    A few things. I am not even close to an expert but a few thoughts.

Can you have an AK barrel put on a PSL? Yes, there would need to be some modifications but it definitely can be done.

Legality: The receiver is the "gun". It doesn't matter what parts you use on it (as long as there isn't an auto sear ). If you really wanted to, I guess you could even try and use as many AR parts on the PSL receiver. As long as you don't mess with the serial number you should be fine.

As I said in the other thread in the rifle sub forum ... Matt (http://mygunsnorthwest.com/) converted a milled M64 AK into x54r. Email him and ask how much he would charge to do one for you. It doesn't hurt to ask. Matt does EXCELLENT work. Especially now that he converted in manual mill into a CNC mill.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF