Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default 45/410 handguns legal for small game

recently it was questioned that shooting small game with 410 handguns were a game law violation.
    i contacted one game commission office and was told yes it is illegal.
    since then i contacted mike from the southwest region and he stated that there is a SOP that was put in place that clarifies which handguns would fit within the requirements of the law.he said when taurus came out with the judge it became a issue.
    he has taken my phone number and is going to reply with specific SOP so i can have it for myself.i will share it here to clarify any misconception of the rule.
    i am not doing it to create a problem,just looking for specific info

(Washington County)

Default Re: 45/410 handguns legal for small game

mike from game commission called me back---he said a memorandum
    dated august 31,2007 section 141.22(5)---has been amended to consider handguns that are able to shoot fineshot are considered to be handheld shotgun and are legal.the taurus 5 shot cylinder is also legal.
    here is mikes number to call
    i talked to mike

Matt Hough, Director

Serving the following Counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Somerset, Washington, Westmoreland

4820 Route 711
    Bolivar, PA 15923

Open Monday - Friday
    7:30AM - 4:00PM

(724) 238-9523
    (724) 238-9524
    (724) 238-5639

can a moderator verify so it isnt questioned in the future?

he stated that the laws was addressed to cover the 5 shot capicity of the taurus as well as the magnum research bfr(45/410 5shot)
    Last edited by madcatter; January 14th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

(Centre County)

I have been checked by WCO 3 times while rabbit hunting this year, I never got a sideways glance about my Contender...even talked about it at length with one of the guys. They did not stop me just to say hi, They checked all licences and whatnot, I imagine if it were illegal I would have been pinched. Kinda hard to miss the 16" barrel in a bandito rig. LOL

(Cumberland County)

Can we get a sticky????

Good info madcatter. Thanks. Rep sent.

You called PGC office "A" and got one answer. Then called PGC office "B" and got a different answer. Office "B" even provided the regulation number and other citable information to support their answer. In God we trust - all others bring supporting data.

With that in mind, if I were to hunt with a pistol like this, I would keep a copy of that amended regulation in my pocket - just in case I run into a GCO that is unfamiliar with the amendment to the regulation.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Washington County)

ya,i was really displeased with how the franklin office wouldnt answer my question,he just sort of said---it reads what it reads. mike was really helpful and even gave me a link to any updated laws and ammendments.
    i was lookin at some and guess what.i found out that a semi-automatic rifle in .22 or less is legal for hunting fox,coyote,and groundhog
    check it out
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=0659&pn=0721

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by madcatter View Post
    ya,i was really displeased with how the franklin office wouldnt answer my question,he just sort of said---it reads what it reads. mike was really helpful and even gave me a link to any updated laws and ammendments.
    i was lookin at some and guess what.i found out that a semi-automatic rifle in .22 or less is legal for hunting fox,coyote,and groundhog
    check it out
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=0659&pn=0721
    Madcatter,

That link is to a bill that did not pass into law. You cannot use a semi at this time. Here is the current law.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...24&mode=2#2308

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(3) Reserved.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.

(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

(9) Any setgun, net, bird lime, deer lick, pit or pit fall, turkey blind except as permitted under subsection (b)(3) or turkey pen or any explosive, poison or chemical of any kind.

(9.1) Any device which permits the release of two or more arrows simultaneously on a single full draw of a bow.

(10) Any other device or method of any kind prohibited by this title or regulations promulgated under this title.

(b) Exceptions. The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) (i) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope.

(ii) Exception as otherwise provided under subparagraph (iii), no archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the target.

(iii) (A) A flashlight or spotlight may be mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(B) For the purposes of this subparagraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firarm.

(2) (i) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).

(ii) Any licensed hunter in cities of the first class, while hunting on private property and using a bow and arrow or crossbow, using bait to attract deer for removal as provided by Commission regulations.

(iii) Any licensed hunter in special regulation areas, other than counties of the second class, using bait to attract deer for removal as provided by Commission regulations.

(3) Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within the blind from an observer located outside of the blind.

(4) Any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(5) Any electronic or mechanical device used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(6) Any decoy used in the trapping or hunting of furbearers.

(c) Penalties. -

(1) A violation of subsection (a)(1), (2), (4) or (5) is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(2) A violation of subsection (a)(7) is a summary offense of the third degree.

(3) A violation of any other provision of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.