Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear vs Les

(Allegheny County)

Default Bear vs Les

Anyone watching these two shows?
    Man vs Wild and Survivor Man
    Which is your favorite and why?

I prefer Les Stroud's Survivor Man myself. He seems to give a more "common man" approach to staying alive in possible siturations. Where as in Bear Grylls' Man vs Wild, he seems to do some pretty hairy things. It always seems like he is being chased. Must be that SAS training. Not many of us are going to scale cliffs or swim in the arctic as he does.
    I do enjoy watching both shows, but think Les Strouds is a little more informative for us "common people".

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Bear vs Les

Wes plays it more conservative, just like anyone in a survival situation should. Bear always has a flint and water bottle, like anyone going into those situations should. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I watch both with my daughter, and point out things I would do different, or what is only to be done in emergency.

One thing I did notice though, even though Bear is more "Aggressive" moving more than one would if you know a search party is out there, he often gets himself out of the ordeal, where as Wes, in the one's I remember, always needs the safety team to get him safe.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Montgomery County)

Bear is better

(Delaware County)

Les rules! No camera crew to chat with between takes. Just him and the outdoors.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Lebanon County)

bear is a fawking idoit. running through the woods at night? jumping off stuff? ''swimming'' down half frozen mountian rivers? follow him and i'm sure you'll make it out just fine...
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    Anyone watching these two shows?
    Man vs Wild and Survivor Man
    Which is your favorite and why?

I prefer Les Stroud's Survivor Man myself. He seems to give a more "common man" approach to staying alive in possible siturations. Where as in Bear Grylls' Man vs Wild, he seems to do some pretty hairy things. It always seems like he is being chased. Must be that SAS training. Not many of us are going to scale cliffs or swim in the arctic as he does.
    I do enjoy watching both shows, but think Les Strouds is a little more informative for us "common people".

i agree totaly, but bear is easier to watch, as its filmed by an actual cameraman. survivorman filming always has a blair witch kinda thing going on.

(Pike County)

Les all the way. Bear does things that the average person would be injured doing, and injuring yourself is the last thing you need to do if you are in a survival situation. If you are in the peak of condition and special forces trained you may be able to do what Bear does. I'm not saying that you can not learn anything from Bear, but he is doing things that are above what the average person can physically do. Les is more practical for the average person.

You mean TV isn't real

I like both for different reasons. It doesn't surprise me that Bear's stuff is mostly staged. Everything is entirely to polished and dramatic to catch on film. After the first show I saw last summer there was just no way all those camera angles could captures him jumping off a cliff without pre-scouting and careful choreography. Les clearly does it all himself, but I'm sure he stages plenty of his shots as well. There's really no practical way to film such a program in a weekly series without some choreography.

There was a Bear episode where he throws a club at a rabbit, and hits it of course.
    When I saw that I was like:
    Oh what did he do sit there for 8 days until a rabbit just came by, or did the camera crew tie a rabbit by the leg so he could throw the club 50 times until he hit it, or at least close enough to make it look that way from the camera angle.

I still like both.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Bear tends to take stupid risks. He's show isn't about showing the viewer how to survive a scenario, but how he would. Bear has also done things that are blatantly wrong like drinking his own urine (terrible idea). Les Stroud is a lot more common sense.

Not to mention bear turns out to be full of shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast