Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default TSA: Passenger carries ammo on plane in Milwaukee

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/...NhcGFzc2VuZ2Vy

MADISON, Wis. – A passenger inadvertently carried shotgun shells onto a Dallas-bound Midwest Airlines plane at Milwaukee's airport on Monday before he realized his mistake and alerted flight attendants, authorities said.

The man, who was not identified, did not mean any harm, saying he had forgotten that the ammunition was in his carryon bags when he boarded the flight, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jim Fotenos said.

TSA agents turned the ammunition over to local police and sent the man back for another security search. They then allowed him to reboard and the plane left for Dallas later Monday.

"The passenger was interviewed and rescreened with negative findings," Fotenos said in a statement. "The passenger stated that he inadvertently brought the prohibited items onboard the plane and self-disclosed them when he realized they were in his possession."

Fotenos said the TSA is reviewing how the passenger got the ammunition through pre-boarding security searches. He declined to identify the man or comment further. TSA policy prohibits passengers from having firearms or ammunition in their carryon luggage.

Oak Creek, Wis. based-Midwest Airlines declined to comment.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Default Re: TSA: Passenger carries ammo on plane in Milwaukee

(Franklin County)

I'm certainly not advocating that anyone intentionally try to circumvent airport security, but if I discover something after the fact that they missed, I'm not saying a damn thing. Something about self-incrimination comes to mind.

Also, is "TSA policy" the same as "the law"?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

That guy is lucky he did not wake up in Gitmo. We are all now so much safer because of the TSA.

New definition for TSA = Taking Shells Away
    Treating Safety Absurdly
    Thousands of Stupid Asshats

At least the President has made the world love us, and no one wants to hurt any American while we all make a big democracy cake and march through the middle of Tienamen Square... oh wait.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

It’s nice to see that the guy was not taken to the ground, cuffed, cavity checked, and accused of having a terrorist plot to blow up a plane by rubber banding a paper clip into the primer of the shells simply for pointing out that both he and the TSA missed some prohibited items in his carry-on luggage. It is a rare moment of common sense on the part of the TSA for them to actually place more priority on fixing their own downfalls for missing the contraband that to persecute the little guy for doing the same.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm certainly not advocating that anyone intentionally try to circumvent airport security, but if I discover something after the fact that they missed, I'm not saying a damn thing. Something about self-incrimination comes to mind.
    agreed. WTF was that guy thinking?

imho, it's rather disheartening how effective the government has been at getting citizens of this country to view ourselves (and behave) as children of big brother.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm certainly not advocating that anyone intentionally try to circumvent airport security, but if I discover something after the fact that they missed, I'm not saying a damn thing.
    Exactly. This guy is a dope. He only inconvenienced himself at that point. He is lucky to only have been inconvenienced.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

Agreed. After he got through airport security, there was NO chance the shells would be found on him. He was safe! The only danger he was in was what they'd do with him when he turned himself in. "I'm sorry Officer, it was a mistake" does not make that NOT a confession of wrongdoing.

Thankfully however, the LEOs in this situation seemed to have at least been reasonable people. Not something you can count on, but at least good to know.

I wonder if they delayed the whole flight for this? Bet they did.

At one point in the past when flying I realized once I was through security I had something in my carry on luggage that they wouldn't be happy to find. I just kept my mouth shut and everything was fine. This was an international flight home, which means I had gotten through 2 security checkpoints (one in Philly, one in Heathrow) with said item and the customs in England when I arrived!

There was no way in hell I was saying a damn thing and it worked out just fine. I'm very surprised this guy wasn't treated like a criminal even though he was doing what he felt was the honest and "right" thing to do. As for me, next time I'll be more careful.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    ... I'm very surprised this guy wasn't treated like a criminal even though he was doing what he felt was the honest and "right" thing to do. As for me, next time I'll be more careful.

~ Derek
    My bold.

How much you wanna bet he's now on some sort of terrorist watch list, good luck the next time he tries to fly or heaven forbid... Buy a gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast