Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default Chunkys M1 Carbines!

Finally made a trip to the CMP North store Saturday morning. 311 miles and it took exactly 5 hours (ran into some snow here and there). Got there right at 8:30 and there were only a few guys there. I thought it would be nuts maybe the weather kept a few folks away. Not much for rack grade carbines, the guage was getting lost in them and the wood was pretty rough!

Had 2 guys from Illinois who knew there carbines and they helped me out a little. Ended up finding an IBM service grade with an Win barrel that guaged a hair over 1 and was nice and shiny inside. The stock will need a little tlc but I like it. Only stamping is an 'I' in the sling well. This one has a stamped rear site assembly. They figured it is a Bavarian due to the reddish color and stampings in the trigger assy. A little research last night revealed that my IBM (at least my trigger assembly) appears to be an 'Austrian' Landes Gendarmerie Kommando (Gendarmerie Command for the Land of). It was used in OberoÖsterreich (Upper Austria). There are no markings on the receiver. As I indicated my trigger assy is sort of a reddish tint. Apparently they were reblued by the Austrians at an incorrect temperature.

Since I was only planning on getting one I put my name on it and put it behind the counter while I looked for a better one.

Well I found one, a Winchester with a Winchester barrel (guaged at about 1) and a real nice stock punched 'I O' in the sling well with a cartouche 'B A' over top of 'J P L' on the left hand side beside reciever. Crossed cannons on the right hand side of the butt stock. It also has the 'P' proof stamping. It has a milled rear site assembly. Figured I would put the IBM back and get the Winnie. Well one of those guys was telling me that you ain't never gonna see em again at this price. Well I ended up getting both.

Here they are, the IBM has the sling on it.

Was able to disassemble the trigger assemblies last night and clean out all the cosmoline. Oiled and put back together. Need to finish cleaning them up and then I gotta find some ammo!
    Last edited by Chunky Monkey; May 18th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Chunkys new toys!

Those are some sweet toys

Andy

(Monroe County)

its one thing to admire a gun, but to take the drive to own a piece of history is just a step above.

i would love to get my hands on an M1 or Carbine eventually, but for now ill have to settle with the K98 i have
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Bedford County)

Tossing out a feeler.

Would anyone have a nice 1903A3 that they would like to trade for one of these?
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997