Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default saiga AK conversion

Okay....so I picked up a Saiga AK in 7.62 over the weekend.....

Has anyone here made the conversion or a bullet guide for the rifle? How about modifying the mag catch so I can use regular AK mags?

How easy/ hard is this project?

I've been reading a bunch on the net...just not sure if I have the guts to try it just yet! I do have access to a drill press/lathe and many metal working tools......

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: saiga AK conversion

It's not complicated. Having a drill press makes it much easier. I did it with a file and cheapie cordless drill. Some of the spot welds can be a pain in butt and eat up drill bits.

Here's a decent video of a conversion:
    http://www.vimeo.com/2787027

They left out the bullet guide but all that involves is drilling a hole, tapping treads, and filing the mag catch a bit.

You can get lots of help at the Saiga Forum.

(Philadelphia County)

I ordered the same rifle; should arrive sometime this week. The first few times I read through the conversion details I thought my head was going to explode but I think I've got a decent grasp on it now. I guess I'll find out in the coming weeks. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare notes during the process.

(Allegheny County)

From what I've seen on youtube, that part of the conversion doesn't seem bad at all. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Carbon County)

Ive done 5 all with a hand drill and a dremel. Its not hard at all, just take your time and dont get rammy (and of course watch your parts count). More info can be found at forum.saiga-12.com

Other helpful links....

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

This guy did it with even less specialty tools than I have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU96VbnSoTc

For the bullet guide...

http://www.dinzagarms.com/

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    I ordered the same rifle; should arrive sometime this week. The first few times I read through the conversion details I thought my head was going to explode but I think I've got a decent grasp on it now. I guess I'll find out in the coming weeks. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare notes during the process.
    Man, I thought my head was going to explode as well!!

I'm VERY comfortable around metal working (put myself through college that way) and have no trouble with the drilling/tapping/bending or even spot welding if need be and I have access to presses/brakes and everything else I could possible need! The trigger group is giving me fits with springs/sears/pins, etc. I put a new trigger kit in my 10/22 and I hated it with all the washers and springs and stuff. I did get it together and it works 100%....but what a pain in the butt that was!

Last night I stripped the AK down and it looks like the mag conversion will be a piece of cake. I saw online where they used 1/2 of a 3/4" gas pipe nipple for the bullet guide. Looks like it will work like a charm!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steveindajeep View Post
    Ive done 5 all with a hand drill and a dremel. Its not hard at all, just take your time and dont get rammy (and of course watch your parts count). More info can be found at forum.saiga-12.com

Other helpful links....

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

This guy did it with even less specialty tools than I have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU96VbnSoTc

For the bullet guide...

http://www.dinzagarms.com/
    Thanks for the links!

The only thing I have found missing is a "complete" parts list...mainly what pins/retainers I need to buy. I think I can get the trigger group at Cabelas...I remember seeing them there at one time. The bullet guide I can make myself.

Any insight you can help me with?

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Man, I thought my head was going to explode as well!!

I'm VERY comfortable around metal working (put myself through college that way) and have no trouble with the drilling/tapping/bending or even spot welding if need be and I have access to presses/brakes and everything else I could possible need! The trigger group is giving me fits with springs/sears/pins, etc.

Sounds like you're golden. In fact after this conversion you sound like a good candidate for full AK builds
    I have a teeny woodworking shop (strictly basement hobbyist) so it's likely I have all the tooling. I've done some knifemaking so I'm comfortable cutting and shaping metal.

I'm a bit of an over-researcher. I've amassed a zillion links on the subject so if I mine out anything that hasn't already been posted I'll add it here. If the Tapco trigger group causes you anxiety I think I remember reading that Tromix has a trigger group that's a drop in part for a little more money.

At this point I'm looking to do a sidefolder. Seems that if I'm not careful that could add a significant amount to my budget. The joy of tinkering...

(Luzerne County)

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

For the bare minimum conversion you need:

Tapco G2 single hook trigger group
    Stock
    Grip + Screw & Nut
    2 nuts + 2 bolts for the trigger guard (just something for Home Depot, etc.)
    Bullet Guide + Screw

I'd add Loctite for the screws and Lowes sells "Nylon Hole Plugs" that look like rivets if you want the old trigger bar holes to look nice (you'll need to remove a little material from the stock for them to fit).

You don't need to worry about pins, springs, etc.; they are already on the rifle. Most people buy the "retaining plate" to keep the pins in place, but I just bent the existing retaining spring to fit. The retaining plate is just easier for some.

I don't know if you can get everything from a single source at this point; when I did mine a few years ago in needed to shop around to get the best prices. Kvar for the furniture, Dinzag for the bullet guide, and JSE Enterprises for the cheapest G2.

Tool wise, you'll need GOOD drill bits, a flat file, and maybe a Dremel diamond cutter bit to get at the back part of the magazine catch. At this point most Saigas seem to come with all the holes cut in the receiver but if you get unlucky you may need Dremel cutting wheels to cut the pistol grip nut hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast