Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Red face Cleaning the AR-15 chamber.

WELL...... this is embarassing for me, but I have no clue how to clean the chamber on an AR-15 (Gawd, I hope TonyF isn't reading this....I'm supposed to go to FIRE at the end of AUG). The manual says "Take the chamber brush, put it on the end of the handle, and soak it in [solvent/lubricant]. Then, place the chamber brush in the chamber and turn it until the locking lugs are clean" or some such thing (too tired and too dunk to look ). The problem I have is this: when I put the chamber brush in the chamber and turn it clockwise, everything is copacetic..I can clean the chamber. Turning it counterclockwise is another matter.....that unscrews the brush!! So far, I have been doing it the very hard way...toothbrushing the lug locks and hand cleaning them with a patch.

Having never had the chance to serve in the Military () I don't have the benefit of a large man with chevrons "educating" me. So I ask one of you.

I know that I am doing this wrong. Someone help! Especially you military guys, and anybody with more than 100 rounds on an AR-15... how the f**k do I clean the chamber?????
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

Default Re: Cleaning the AR-15 chamber.

I like q-tips and pipe cleaners the best.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Fulton County)

take your chamber brush or chamber swab on a cleaning rod then take it and put it in a drill. then once its nice and shiny use a qtip or air from the lungs the good loard gave you to remove the residue, afterwards pull a clean patch from chamber to muzzle.

(Allegheny County)

This is how I do it..

Make sure to clean the lugs first if you use this method.. otherwise you just pull crud into the bore.

Put the chamber brush on the rod, and use a rod section as a handle.. Put some CLP on the brush. While rotating clockwise (dont stop rotating it), push the brush into the chamber.. its almost like you are screwing the brush into the bore. Keep turning it clockwise, and pull the bush out a little bit, then back in.. do this a few times (always turning clockwise).

When your all done with that, put a slot type patch holder on the end of the rod, and stick a patch through it.. sometimes it helps to have an oversize patch for this specific job. Stick the patch into the locking lug area, and rotate it.. you have to sort of move it around while rotating it to swab the gunk out.. you can also use this to swab crud from inside the reciever. I usually dont get too crazy with q-tips cleaning this area.. the idea is to just get the majority of the junk and the 'baked' on stuff loose and cleaned out.. not to get it white-glove clean. As you clean the bore, rotate the patch a few times in the chamber area evry time you pull it through.. that should get it clean enough.

I think trying to get an AR squeeky clean doesnt do any good... The idea is to keep it reasonably clean, and properly oiled.

(Monroe County)

(Bucks County)

Its like any other firearm, however with its lil tiny pieces it does take a little longer.
    I myself use "Breakfree CLP", it is what the military uses and it cleans/lubes/protects all in one.
    Very good and usefull.
    For my AR, i tend to take apart everything. Down to the bolt and firing pin. You will notice alot of gunk builds up around the pin.
    MOST important is the barrel, run swabs through it untill its clean. Start with a decent amount of solvent on your rags and as it gets cleaner reduce the amount of solvent you are using untill its nice and shiny.
    To clean the inside part of the barrel were the round goes, get some thicker patches wrap them around a cue-tip and clean inside. You will find its a perfect with for a .223. Also some smaller shotgun guage patches will expant to the cavity to clean very nice.
    I take extra time is cleaning the bolt assembly.
    Once thats done, clean the remaining inside of the upper and lower and walla! your done.
    I dont post much, but i hope this helps.
    My strongest recomendation would be to get "CLP Breakfree"!
    Drakin

(Northumberland County)

While in the military we used to use "stainless steel sink cleaner" some kind of foaming stuff the Army had worked like a champ, but do not get it on the stock or forearms. Let it foam up, use a rag to wipe it out then a Q-tip or two done.........just try to turn an M-16 into a armorer sometime, you take every cheat you can! We used the stuff on every part of all our weapons except the stocks. Hope this helps, I know the military cannot corner the market on foaming sink cleaners.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"