Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for a place to cut firewood

Anyone know of a good place to get wood that's ready to burn now? I'll probably be through the last of my wood that's ready for this year by the end of the month.

Found a Craigslist ad for $50/ton of green logs and then talked to another guy who said he can do a tri-axle truckload of oak, 24' logs 6-12" in diameter for $700...approx 9 cords.

(Northampton County)

I'd take the tri-axle deal. More bang, I mean burn for your buck$. A ton of green wood can hold ALOT of moisture, depending on species, how fresh cut it is, etc. Moisture= weight x $50 per ton. .... Just sayin'

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
    I'd take the tri-axle deal. More bang, I mean burn for your buck$. A ton of green wood can hold ALOT of moisture, depending on species, how fresh cut it is, etc. Moisture= weight x $50 per ton. .... Just sayin'

Plinker
    That's what I was thinking but someone told me a tri-axle is closer to 5-7 cords, not 9.

$700 for a load of oak is a decent price. I'd grab it. In fact I'd grab two if it's in your budget.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    That's what I was thinking but someone told me a tri-axle is closer to 5-7 cords, not 9.
    I burn 4-5 cords a year. I get two years out of a tri-axle load. So 9 cords is purrrrty close, unscientific Plinker math, but purrrrrty close.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    $700 for a load of oak is a decent price. I'd grab it. In fact I'd grab two if it's in your budget.
    Two? I'm trying to figure out where to put 9 cords of wood. Even if I stack 8' high, with what I have out there, that's bigger than 24' X 8' x 8'. I have the space, but I'm not sure I want a woodpile the size of a small building outside. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that much wood ready to burn, but with how long it would take me to get through it all, I'd imagine it would be quite the nature hotel/toilet in that pile until I finished it.

I talked to the guy who is doing the logs by the ton yesterday evening and I'm going to go see what he's cutting, what the trees/logs look like on Friday. He said the bigger diameter logs I take, the cheaper he'll give them to me, even to the point of free because no one else wants them. I don't think there are many people cutting wood for their own stoves/fireplaces that want 36" diameter logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
    I burn 4-5 cords a year. I get two years out of a tri-axle load. So 9 cords is purrrrty close, unscientific Plinker math, but purrrrrty close.

Plinker
    Interesting. I'd appreciate it if you shot me a PM with who you're getting the logs from and how much you're paying for them, if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Two? I'm trying to figure out where to put 9 cords of wood. Even if I stack 8' high, with what I have out there, that's bigger than 24' X 8' x 8'. I have the space, but I'm not sure I want a woodpile the size of a small building outside. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that much wood ready to burn, but with how long it would take me to get through it all, I'd imagine it would be quite the nature hotel/toilet in that pile until I finished it.
    I assumed since you were considering a tri-axle you had room to store wood.

I'm guessing one load should last about two years unless you have a large home or are using an outdoor burner. Good oak left uncut will last years and years.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I assumed since you were considering a tri-axle you had room to store wood.

I'm guessing one load should last about two years unless you have a large home or are using an outdoor burner. Good oak left uncut will last years and years.
    I have a space behind my house that's flat where I keep the firewood stacked now, but I don't know that I want to use all of that space. Leaving about a foot from the exterior wall of the house, I have about 12-14' going away from the house to the bottom of a hill and about 55 feet along the length of the house before there is a small, but steep slope down to the patio and side yard.

If I went 8' high on a 12' x 50' area, that's a little over 41 cords. Definitely don't need that much.

I guess my thought process is that if I got 2 truck loads, call it 18 cords, I'd expect that to last anywhere between 3-6 years depending on how much my stove consumes.

My father in law could definitely use some and I supposed next year if I feel like I have way too much, I could sell some.

I'm working on getting my options all figured out with where I'm going to get wood right now - possibly a place where I can cut standing or fallen trees for free that's 5 miles from my house, a tri axle of mostly oak for $700 delivered, or $50/ton or less for logs delivered by a local arborist/tree service, or continue to scrounge for the free tree here and there on Craigslist and what not.

(Lancaster County)

You want waaaay more than a foot from your house to store the wood, unless you want to catch mice in the house to use as fuel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast