Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default What would be your ideal range?

If you would be able to shoot at your ideal range, what would make it the best range around? I’m looking for realistic ideas that would make it a place you’d go back to again and again (I know everyone would love free ammo, beer and food). I’d like to see your thoughts on the following:

- Facilities
    - Amenities
    - Hours
    - Membership vs. Public vs. a hybrid of both
    - Restrictions (or lack of)
    - Activities, social events, competitions, training, etc.

Now, any great range wouldn’t be great without restrictions to keep everyone safe, so I’d also like to hear about what you wouldn’t want to see at your ideal range.

I look forward to everyone’s thoughts…I’m sure it will be interesting reading for all.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: What would be your ideal range?

a place to shoot tvs,old office equipment,fire extinguishers,watermelons,pieces of metal,gas tanks

A "killhouse" for close quarters senarios , long range 300 yrd,pistol ranges ,shotgun ranges .A nice club house , sheltered shooting areas,open shooting areas,targets that move on a track...I cant hink of any more ideas at the moment
    Gott mit uns

(Lancaster County)

Also be able to have your weapon on your shoulder when you check targets...I dont believe in leaving all that firepower behind you empty handed,call me paranoid but better safe than sorry just have a mag ready in your pocket
    making sure the weapon is cleared of course...
    Last edited by Triggerh4ppy; January 11th, 2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: n/a
    Gott mit uns

(Allegheny County)

i think an area where you can bring stuff to blow up would also be great.. I belong to a range that has great ranges w a small CQB range w iron targets and paper targets.. Lighted areas, nice re loading areas and no round limits sell me for sure.. also membership w a guest allowance as well, F the retarted public where most almost shoot themselves or look like they are practicing for their next drive by.. ha ha.. i would say typical hrs and comp shoots are fun too.. I have some ideas for a indoor interactive CQB range i am trying to get going..
    Last edited by jasons024; January 11th, 2010 at 01:11 AM.

(Northampton County)

Easy. Usery Pass/Rio Solado Gun Club in East Mesa, AZ. Good facilities, $6 for the public to shoot all day at the main range.

Secondary ranges for competition style pistol shooting, clay target throwers for shotgunning, steel targets at 100, 200 and 300yds and a seperate 500yd range for club members who have met the criteria.

On site gunsmith for most any potential breakage. Free use of target stands with an assortment of targets for sale (simplest ones are $.25 with some of the bigger ones up around $1)

25 (don't quote me on the count, it's close) good benches to shoot off of with a steel awning running from bench number 1 all the way to the other end. Only the clay target throwers are not covered. Racks behind the benches for setting your rifles not being used at the moment.

That range is one of the very few things I miss about Arizona.

(Chester County)

If I owned it!

(Westmoreland County)

1,000 yard rifle range.

(Philadelphia County)

A friend of mine has a farm 8 hours drive west of Philly... not 20 steps off his front porch you find yourself in a clear, flat field with nothing but mountains & woods beyond... we go shooting there as much as we can. Only thing its missing is a shoot house!

The only downsides are location (far away), the fact that the field is a bit of a swamp when you get really deep into it, and its really hard to find cheap ammo when the town has a single gun shop
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.