Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Endless ammo sizes

My apologees to all the gunophiles, but why the endless pistol ammo sizes?
    Now i see Ruger makes the .327 magnum. If .32 isn't enough, why not get .38?
    Whatever happened to KISS?
    I always felt that since the cops carried .38 and they trusted their lives with that, that should be good enough for me. I do understand to compete with the gangsta that had to make changes for capacity, penetration etc.
    From the manufacturers perspective it's just a marketing decision. Testing the water, see what sells.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Endless ammo sizes

Variety is the spice of life my friend, and even the gun manufacturers know a good thing when they see it. Some pistol calibers have been around for a century or more and some like the afore mentioned .327 are new invented. The .327 much like the .357 sig where developed out of a need. People very acustom to the small and fast rule wanted a semi auto pistol to pack the same fps as the good ol' revolver cartridge. Sig answered and this was the result, its a fantistic round with great penetration, perfect for the highway patrol men who may face more vehicle barriers in his career than the average police officer.

The .327 fed seem to be another step in replacing the .357 magnum round. Some argue that the .357 was devoloped for hunting and to get wad cutters to expand when fired out of a snub nose revolver. With todays taylor made ammo this is no longer a concern. Federal realized the recoil from the .357 was a bit harsh in a snubby platform and made a cartridge to give the same performance with less recoil and blast.

We have a saying in the fire service. "Hundreds of year of tradition unimpeded by advancement." The very same rings true with many cultural nuances.

Stay safe.

Default Re: Endless ammo sizes

Because we need/like something different. I would not like to shoot a 2 in. light alloy .44 Mag. nor do I want to hunt deer with a .32 Long.