Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pulled over by PSP, positive encounter!

I was pulled over on the turnpike last night. I don't follow the speed limit that religiously and I forgot my new bigger tires make my speedo read low. Anyway I was busted.

The LEO approached and asked for drivers license, registration, and insurance. I had my DL in my wallet but the other papers were in the glove box with my LCP. I also had a tactical rifle bag on the back seat with most of my firearms in it, and loaded 30 round AR mags clearly visible in pouches on the outside.

I gave the officer my DL, and then gave him my LTCF, and told him I have my sidearm in the glove box, which is also where my registration and insurance are. I didn't want to open my glove box and have a firearm visible without him knowing about it first. My glove box has two compartments and I explained the layout to him and he gave me the go ahead to get my papers out, no worry about the sidearm.

Everything went fine, nothing special because of the firearms. I even got a break on the ticket. He called the LTCF a "carry permit", but I didn't argue with him

I feel everything went just like it should.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pulled over by PSP, positive encounter!

Thats why I don't keep my insurance card and registration in my glove box.

You are lucky you didn't have a bad encounter like my son did when he informed the officer of a gun in the car. Never again.

Was positive for the officer but could of been very bad for you.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Back in 1997, while traveling on I-78 in Allentown coming back from State College, I was tired and traveling a bit fast. Well... got lit up and pulled over by PSP. Was carrying my 9mm pistol and had it in the glove box. Exact same situation. I was doing 78 in a 55 zone. Well, I did the same thing you did. Notified the Trooper up front and immediately that I had a pistol in the vehicle while handing over my DL, Registration, Insurance and LTCF. He took the pistol back to his car and came back with a citation. To my surprise, he wrote me for driving at an unsafe speed. 2 pts and the fine was a $100.00 total. I viewed it as a break and he thanked me for being honest upfront and he mentioned the break for being honest and upfront. Bottomline for me, if stopped by LEO, I will notify them of the weapon and will cooperate to the fullest. It worked well for me.

(Allegheny County)

Reminder that your rifles were loaded if they were in the gun bag with the loaded mags. Not a good thing.

And pa350z, hold on to your tube socks regarding it being ok to have an officer take your firearm to his vehicle etc. It's about to get a little bumpy.

(Allegheny County)

The rifle and mags were in different compartments. That means the rifle was NOT loaded in the eye of PA law. AR inside a zipped compartment, mags in a molle holster on outside of bag.

I feel that if I didn't go out of my way to alert the LEO that there was a gun in the glove box my ticket would have been worse. I have never been given a break on a speeding ticket before, but the LTCF may have helped me this time.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    I also had a tactical rifle bag on the back seat with most of my firearms in it, and loaded 30 round AR mags clearly visible in pouches on the outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Reminder that your rifles were loaded if they were in the gun bag with the loaded mags. Not a good thing.
    Based on statute, can you please explain how he was in violation?
    ...the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded...
    Rifle on the inside, loaded mags in pockets on the outside meets statutory requirements, IMO.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    And pa350z, hold on to your tube socks regarding it being ok to have an officer take your firearm to his vehicle etc. It's about to get a little bumpy.
    Please keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times. Stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Bottomline for me, if stopped by LEO, I will notify them of the weapon and will cooperate to the fullest. It worked well for me.
    Hope it continues to.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

... I even got a break on the ticket. .
    Curious.... do you mean NO ticket or reduced ticket?

(York County)

the other papers were in the glove box with my LCP. I also had a tactical rifle bag on the back seat with most of my firearms in it, and loaded 30 round AR mags clearly visible in pouches on the outside.
    I'd suggest you carry a full-size bath towel (matching the interior color of your car) to casually throw over what you carry on the back seat.... and and similarly colored hand towel to throw over what you carry on the front seat (which is wear the LCP should have been).....

This prevents prying eyes from discovering your valuables.... even a tall pickup can see down through the window to observe what you have.... which could lead to an unwanted 'minor accident' as a precursor to something worse.....

Just a suggestion.....

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast