Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default My current AR built..

And I got few more parts to go..
    I got YHM free float tube, with cap on the end, foregrip, small parts for reciever, barrel, gas tube and all sitting at my funshop that I need to pick up(just need some $$$ first! - where is my W2's?)

DPMS lower, Magpul grip/stock, DPMS bolt, and so on...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default Re: My current AR built..

Good so far.

I just got another Stripped DPMS lower yesterday.... Wonder what I'll do this time.

(Dauphin County)

the W2's don't matter cause they don't process them tell the 18th so you got a little time...or just use your last pay stub

Pardon me if this is a thread hijack......Do you find it cheaper to build an AR-15 one step at a time, rather then buy a fully assembled product? I imagine building it offers way more control over the finished product as well. I see an AR-15 in my distant future, and am wondering if I should build rather then buy.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Pardon me if this is a thread hijack......Do you find it cheaper to build an AR-15 one step at a time, rather then buy a fully assembled product? I imagine building it offers way more control over the finished product as well. I see an AR-15 in my distant future, and am wondering if I should build rather then buy.
    It depends on what outcome you wish for, and if you enjoy the aspect of gathering the parts on your time, when you want, and how you want.

Personally, I bought mine complete, and went from there. But others enjoy starting from scratch, and obtaining each part individually. You can also save a little bit of money doing this if you know what you are doing. But building in steps gives you freedom to do pretty much anything you want. If you buy a fully assembled one, you are paying for what you get. So if you really don't like the barrel that's on it, you're paying for it anyway, plus the one you choose to replace it with.

So really, it's all personal preference. If you want to save a little money, you can do it yourself. If you just want a finished product immediately, and customize from there, then do it that way.

*Just be sure, if you do build from scratch, that any parts you use are compatible and reliable.
    III%

Thanks for the info. Is there a great deal of gunsmithing knowledge or special tools needed to assemble this rifle?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is there a great deal of gunsmithing knowledge or special tools needed to assemble this rifle?
    It depends on just how much you intend on doing independently. If you buy a built lower, and a complete upper, there is literally no knowledge, or special tools needed.

However, if you intend on doing piecework by yourself, you may want to get a basic gunsmithing toolkit, mainly for the smaller parts, pins, and screws and such. There are certain wrenches and tools specific to the ar-15 model that can come in very handy as well. Pin pushers, handguard removal tools, barrel wrenches, etc. Some just save a lot of time and hassle.. For example, you can take your foregrip off without a removal tool, but most times you will need an extra set of hands to compress the spring.
    I've never actually built my own, but I think most of it is common sense. However, if you plan on doing everything yourself (ie complete lower, barrel + sights + guard + etc) I would at least get a construction manual that leads you through the steps. Not saying you don't know where everything goes, but for certain parts, there is a method as to how you should go about completing them.

Best advice, if that is the route you intend on taking, get a "how to" manual and start up by yourself... and if you aren't sure of something, ask a buddy to help you out. But IMO, best way to learn, is to try it. After you get one knocked out, you will know for the next time, or if you ever want to keep modifying.

I'm sure some of the guys on here that have built their own could offer a little more advice. I know I'm not being a real big help...

Good luck with whichever route you choose! You won't be disappointed.
    III%

Thanks for all your advice. I've found links to some great step-by-step guides by searching this site.

(Cumberland County)

The best way to go if you want to "build" your first AR..... get a complete upper. Then piece the rest....instructions are available all over the web.
    I say "complete upper" because you will probably not have the tools or knowledge to properly headspace the weapon, making it very dangerous.

--edit-----I just started a separate thread in "gunsmithing" to avoid a complete thread hijack. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Last Resort; January 13th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.