Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Exclamation Final straw for Freedom Armory. Please avoid these guys!

Well today while looking at a $350.00 storm case I had an employee (Thin younger guy with glasses) tell me open carry in the store is not aloud. This was after a women was mentioning to her husband about it with the employee in ear shot. (I presume a non-educated PA resident or MD resident?). I responded with "When did that change, I have done it before here". The response was that only LE is aloud to open carry there now.

After putting the case back and my sons scope mount I left the store.

On the way home I called there requesting to speak to the owner.

"Jim" answers the phone. Not sure his relation with the company.

I politely asked if open carry was aloud in the store.

I was told it is not and they are trying to minimize carry in the store all together.

He tells me how it is a safety, liability, and insurance problem.

Also tells me how he doesn't want people seeing my open carry and then some yahoo come in the store and be waving a loaded gun around. Says its happened to him before.

Also says how he knows the license to carry doesn't really say it has to be concealed but I should conceal.

Now I didn't mention any of this in quotes because this is all by memory.

I will NOT shop in there store again and please I hope you guys and gals choose not to as well.

Edit: Maybe this should of been in the general carry forum as he mentioned carry all together? Maybe a admin can move to the appropriate place?
    Last edited by mcarroll1987; January 9th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Default Re: Final straw for Freedom Armory. Please avoid these guys!

Oh, so you were at Freedom Armory..........

(Monroe County)

Shoulda told him you respect his decision to not allow open carry in the store, and that you also respect his right to open carry his asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(York County)

Whats that supposed to mean?

I have seen the other threads but seems to refer to maybe a few uneducated opinionated employees. Seems to be policy now.

While I understand their right to restrict or permit on their on property, doesn't practice what you preach come to mind? I can understand that they don't want people coming in and grabbing a holster off the shelf to test with their carry gun, but the fact that they walk around with theirs hanging out yet nobody else can seems frankly kind of silly.

I haven't OC'd and always CC when I go shoot there. One time, my buddy and I (both empty handed), checked in bought targets and got assigned a lane. We were ready to shoot and the guy just looked at us and said "do you guys have guns?" Us-"yep, which lane are we on?" It was kind of funny, the look on his face.

Never seemed to be a problem with CC anytime I have gone. However, I haven't tested the OC waters yet.

They do seem to always have a attitude that somebody pee'd in their cherrios.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mcarroll1987 View Post
    Edit: Maybe this should of been in the general carry forum as he mentioned carry all together? Maybe a admin can move to the appropriate place?
    "where to (or not to) spend money" would probably be the forum you wanted however I think most of the members have already drawn the same conclusion as you that they are not as 2nd ammendment supportive as they want you to think. I hear they are very overpriced on firearms as well as range fees also. I live fairly close and never had the displeasure of visiting because of all the negative things I've heard/read before getting a chance to check it out myself. It's on my "Don't go to" list.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Oh, so you were at Freedom Armory..........
    should change their name to "gulag armoury".

(York County)

The owner is a man named Scott Morris. If you have any questions about store policy, he's the one to talk to.
    Scott is a nice guy and I've bought a few firearms from him when he was still in his older stores (in Shrewsbury).
    I expect if the rule about OC is accurate, it's because they've had bad experiences. Since they're just off 83 and not that far from MD, it wouldn't surprise me if they have had bad experiences.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(York County)

I have also bought many guns from them, but a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment should respect my rights and choice.

I also feel if there policy is, open carry is a bad idea because it sets bad examples, then why is every employee in there open carrying themselves?

What bothers me is the mass amount of people that still accumulate there even though the issues that everyone has had.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mcarroll1987 View Post
    What bothers me is the mass amount of people that still accumulate there even though the issues that everyone has had.
    You and a couple dozen (at most) others squawking about OC, do not equal "everyone". Not even close. They offer goods and services. Some people can afford them, some cannot. Many of their customers come up from MD. MD prices are much higher than PA prices, so Freedom Armory is a good deal for them.

I have always received professional and pleasant service there. I've bought a few used guns, and assorted stuff. I have found them to be generally reasonable in negotiations. They seem to understand their costs and their value proposition to their target market. They do not appear to be desperate for business. They are not perfect (nor my favorite shop), but they seem to be a well run, profitable business.

If you and all the others who need to OC feel so strongly, I have three productive (as opposed to keyboard whining) suggestions with increasing levels of commitment and difficulty-

1) spend your pennies elsewhere
    2) meet with Scott to learn and understand his point of view, and possibly sway his policy
    3) spend your money to open your own OC friendly gunshop to support your family and provide jobs for another dozen people.
    4) get over it and realize that OC is not what makes the world go round

I'm not anti-OC, but rather ambivalent on the issue. Want to do it? Good for you. Try not to annoy the other 99% of the people in the world. I CC daily and don't feel infringed upon. In public, it's nobody's business that I am carrying a weapon. It's beyond me why anyone would want to make it public knowledge, but to each his own.
    9mm = 45acp set on "stun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast