Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default AK-47 Manufacturers

I've just recently got into target shooting, and after having bought a pistol, I'm already looking for another kind of gun to shoot, and I was looking into a semi-automatic rifle.

I was curious if anyone was familiar with AK-47s, specifically which manufacturers are the most reliable, but not too costly. Any suggestions or other input would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK-47 Manufacturers

There are many options for you to choose from.

For a first AK I'd say to get a 7.62x39mm AKM pattern like this one built by vector. It will run you $500.

Atlantic Firearms is a great place to do business with as well.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Lancaster County)

Thank you, I had been looking at vector actually, but I noticed there were at least a dozen manufacturers around as well.

I had another question as well, how are the folding stocks; do they lock in easily? The side and under folding stocks don't look as comfortable as a fixed, but they're probably more convenient.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotek85 View Post
    I had another question as well, how are the folding stocks; do they lock in easily?
    For the most part, yes.

The side and under folding stocks don't look as comfortable as a fixed,
    They aren't.

but they're probably more convenient.
    They aren't.

More importantly, most com-bloc designs do not provide for a good cheek weld.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, I'll stick with a fixed stock then, they're less expensive too.

(Allegheny County)

Underfolding stocks are generally uncomfortable and can develop play over time. The EG wire sidefolding stock is uncomfortable and provides no cheek weld. The Russian/Bulgarian steel skeleton sidefolder is sturdy and the cheek weld is good but in very hot or cold weather you have bare steel on the side of your face. The Russian/Bulgarian polymer sidefolding stock is one of the best ever made and locks up as solid as a fixed stock and provides the same cheek weld.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Chester County)

+1 on Atlantic Firearms. I've never done business with them myself, but they seem to have a good reputation based on the extensive AK research I did when I was considering buying one.

A couple of important points, though. Vector makes a fine AK, but they are assembled from kits and do not use matching parts. Lancaster is in the same price range, but uses an American made receiver, chrome lined barrel, excellent finish on the furniture, US made anti-slap trigger components (G-2), and they seem to be building a great reputation on their own.

I looked at both the Vector and Lancaster models. For my money, if I wanted an AK, I would buy the Lancaster- better features for the same price range.

Or you could just buy an AR-15 instead....

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

[QUOTE=Pyrotek85;91705]
    I was curious if anyone was familiar with AK-47s, specifically which manufacturers are the most reliable, but not too costly.QUOTE]

It's an AK -- They're all Reliable -- Some are built a little better than others but they all function just fine with very little TLC.

For a Starter I'd buy a WASR ($350-$400) and put the $$$ saved into Ammo which is quickly out pacing the cost of the gun.
    Recoil Happens

I have a Vector underfolder. Great gun for the money. I enjoy shooting it while folded.
    Jules

The fit and finish is well beyond what you would get with a WASR. That may be a good project for you to take on though. Here are a few pics of my Vector.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast