Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Golden Trigger charged me $16 to adjust rear sights on G19!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I think the sight tool is about $80 give or take
    or $20 even...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7421
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    Depends on what type of sights. I wouldnt do that with tritiums. If they're the factory basic "u" glock sights I'd have done it with a brass punch and a hammer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Depends on what type of sights. I wouldnt do that with tritiums. If they're the factory basic "u" glock sights I'd have done it with a brass punch and a hammer.
    why not?

i have done it with several sets of tritium night sights on several glocks.

i wouldn't hit tritiums with a hammer and punch (for fear of the impact possibly breaking the vials), but a vice and punch does exactly the same thing the sight pusher does. there is no impact...you slowly tighten the vice (with the slide clamped to one jaw and the punch held against the other jaw) to move the sight in the dovetail--just as you slowly tighten the sight pusher to move the sight.

seriously, it works great...and costs a lot less than a sight pusher--especially if you happen to already have a vice.
    F*S=k

(Lackawanna County)

16 bucks for 20 seconds of work on stock sites for a glock seems high to me. I know that you guys are in the business of making bank but if I was charged that I probably wouldn't return and tell other people it sucked, reguardless of whether I was right or wrong.

(Chester County)

sounds reasonable to me, If you ever had your vehicle in for inspection and they replaced a wiper blade or a brake lite bulb they charge for that small service and it only takes a minute to do.

(Lackawanna County)

If you bought the gun from me, I'd have adjusted them for free, if you bought it elsewhere, I'd likely charge you...

I get that with radio equipment all of the time: "Isn't that a lot just to add a frequency to a radio?"

All the while, there's $140,000 worth of nist-traceable gear on the bench...and the $2800 software to actually add the channel...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    This is why you build up a relationship with a shop, spend money there over time, hang out and be friendly and then little things like this are usually free.
    Exactly. If you buy everything on the web or another shop to save a couple bucks, of course you should pay for their services. If you do what DC said, then the little things are usually thrown in.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Northumberland County)

This is why you build up a relationship with a shop, spend money there over time, hang out and be friendly and then little things like this are usually free.
    Agreed. If the shop owner and employees know you well, they'll tend to take care of you as a friend instead of as a customer.

To the OP, did you and the shop owner know each other well? At all? If not, the price may be a little high, but it isn't completely unreasonable.

(Indiana County)

When I was an FFL, I mounted and bore sighted scopes and did adjustments for free, if the stuff was bought from me.
    I also only charged the state fee for PICS, again, if it was bought from me.

Anything that walked in, especially stuff bought from places like Buds, Wal-mart, ect..., I charged for.
    The exceptions were my good customers that found a deal that even I couldn't pass up, I would normally cut them a break still.

All that said, you decided to not drift the sights yourself, and I don't think $16 is all that bad if you can't do it yourself, and cheaper than new sights + installation if you try it yourself and break something.

I didn't think the hospital bill for wrapping a cast on my broken arm was fair seeing as it only took them 15 mins, but it was something I couldn't do myself. Sometimes you just have to pay for someones knowledge and equipment.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
    The Golden Trigger in Emmaus PA charged me $16 to literally take 20seconds to move the rear sights on my Glock a couple millimeters....Does that sound way too high?

I wouldve thought he would do it for free for me. It literally took 20 seconds. They were just a lil off from the factory.
    Did you purchase the firearm from him? If you did, I would expect a simple sight adjustment to be on the house.

Otherwise, it sounds fairly reasonable. Next time ask him beforehand how much it's going to cost you. If he tells you $16 you can either tell him 'no thanks,' try to haggle with him, or let him do it for $16. A gunsmith can't always give you an exact price on every job, but something like that he knows exactly what he's getting into and should be able to tell you before he does it. Any time I need to get something done, I find out how much (or an estimation) it's going to cost that way I'm not surprised when it's time to pick it up.

^^^^This^^^^

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast