Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Berry's Plated Bullets

A little to cold to go outside to cast any Lead. Cabrals had a sale on something called Barry's Preffrred Plated Bullets. I know nothing ablut them. They came in and looked like a jacketed bullet. Got them in .38 and 9mm, can anyone give me any backbround
    Can they be used in a Glock.
    I don't see anything for reloading data for HP 38 Powder, will the data be close enough to use the Specs for the same weight Lead. Unfortuneatly supplies are still too short and we still need to settle for what we can get. And the way thisns look they may get worse.
    Hell I saw a Dixie BP Pistol Kit I paid $39 a few years back selling for $199.

Later,
    Eddie O

(Elk County)

Default Re: Berry's Plated Bullets

Berrys makes a good product. I've used Berrys plated FMJ RN bullets in my 9mm handguns, Uzi Carbine, and S&W 76 and Sterling Mk4 subguns without issue. Likewise in my 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 Magnum. Good stuff. Rainier is another manufacturer of plated bullets and I've used 1000s of those, too.

Use loading data for "cast bullets" or "lead bullets." That's from Berrys and Rainier. Don't try to stuff the load, because the plating can and will strip like a jacket. Ask me how I know this.

As for HP38, it is the same powder as W231; you can use W231 data interchangeably.

They are cast or swaged a bit undersize and then copper plated to the proper diameter. For example, the 115 gr 9mm RN makes out to 0.3555 to 0.3556 in my Mitutoyo digital caliper, at least for the lot of bullets that I am working through now.

Speaking of lots, I try to purchase bullets all from the same lot whenever possible. If the retailer has six boxes, I take all six. I'll shoot them sooner or later, and I just as soon have the consistency of all the bullets being from a particular production lot if possible.

HTH,

Noah

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Berrys makes a good product. I've used Berrys plated FMJ RN bullets in my 9mm handguns, Uzi Carbine, and S&W 76 and Sterling Mk4 subguns without issue. Likewise in my 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 Magnum. Good stuff. Rainier is another manufacturer of plated bullets and I've used 1000s of those, too.

Use loading data for "cast bullets" or "lead bullets." That's from Berrys and Rainier. Don't try to stuff the load, because the plating can and will strip like a jacket. Ask me how I know this.

As for HP38, it is the same powder as W231; you can use W231 data interchangeably.

They are cast or swaged a bit undersize and then copper plated to the proper diameter. For example, the 115 gr 9mm RN makes out to 0.3555 to 0.3556 in my Mitutoyo digital caliper, at least for the lot of bullets that I am working through now.

Speaking of lots, I try to purchase bullets all from the same lot whenever possible. If the retailer has six boxes, I take all six. I'll shoot them sooner or later, and I just as soon have the consistency of all the bullets being from a particular production lot if possible.

HTH,

Noah
    Hey Noah
    What kind of load do you use in the 45 ACP? I just got some fro Raniers.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

I reload Berrys for my 9mm & .45 for practice ammo in the same bullet weight as my carry ammo- 230 gr for the .45 & 124 for the 9mm. I'm using Hodgen Universal powder & a low-midrange load works well for my guns, (Glocks & Sig).
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

http://www.berrysmfg.com

Berry's is good stuff. I run 115gr in the 9mm, and their 100gr in the 380. You don't necessarily need to use cast bullet data for these.

Here is the blurb from their web site under the FAQs

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
    I take the average of the min and max, round up to the nearest 0.1gr, and load that. This method has not given me any problems. DO pay attention to the max velocity on their rifle bullets though. I typically end up in cast lead data for these - Unique is a strange powder.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

I like Berry's and have used them in .32's, .380's, 9mm, .38 Super, .38/.357, .40 S&W and .45. You have to load them like lead. Most of what I've loaded has been mid range to mid-max. As said, don't load them hot,

(Allegheny County)

I use them all the time for 9mm, 9x18, .45, and .40's and I never had a problem with them. I have worked up some great loads for all calibers using Berry's Bullets. I use the .45's in my Glock no problem.

(York County)

I use them and have been happy with them so far, I'm loading the 230gr rn for now.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Adams County)

Just ordered my second batch of 1000 9mm, 115g for the Glock 19.

I used starting load for jacketed bullet (actually about 0.4g under). It just worked out that way with the Lee powder dispenser disk. This was a little to light to cycle the action reliably. I gradually bumped up the charge .1g at a time. At the starting load, it worked fine.

Also ordered some 165g to try in the .40 S&W.

Cool Re: Berry's Plated Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy View Post
    Just ordered my second batch of 1000 9mm, 115g for the Glock 19.

I used starting load for jacketed bullet (actually about 0.4g under). It just worked out that way with the Lee powder dispenser disk. This was a little to light to cycle the action reliably. I gradually bumped up the charge .1g at a time. At the starting load, it worked fine.

Also ordered some 165g to try in the .40 S&W.
    Everyone has been great in giving me sound advice on this Bullet, my last concern now seems to be answered and that would be the possibility of lead fouling in the Glock Rifling or should I say non-typical rifling.
    Thanks,
    Eddie O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast