Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Does anybody use >230grs. in their .45acp?

I carry 230's If it aint 230, it ain't a .45

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I carry 230's If it aint 230, it ain't a .45
    lol.........

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    link?

it may not always STOP a fight, but if its a difference of passing through or knocking bad guy off his feet and on his ass, I'll take on his ass anyday!
    No bullet knocks anyone on their ass. Want proof???

We would all agree that the .308 has more power than any auto loading defense pistol... somewhere in the neighborhood of 2600 ft lbs.

This 308 bullet stops in the armor, thus transferring ALL of its energy...

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

No bullet will put anyone on their ass, unless crushing a bone and thus structurally compromising the person.

Think of your defense pistol as a drill...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

We would all agree that the .308 has more power than any auto loading defense pistol... somewhere in the neighborhood of 2600 ft lbs.

No bullet will put anyone on their ass, unless crushing a bone and thus structurally compromising the person.

it was a metaphor...kind of like getting hit by bill gates vs. a heavy weight boxer..........and a vest is made to absorb and transfer all the energy, your body isnt, not like that....it may not put you on your ass, but there is no question that higher energy does more damage to a body.

(Allegheny County)

link?

it may not always STOP a fight, but if its a difference of passing through or knocking bad guy off his feet and on his ass, I'll take on his ass anyday!
    Without getting into elastic and inelastic collisions, energy lost to heat transfer/mass transfer, and kinematic viscosity of the "body" being impacted... it's fair to say that an easy approximation of the difference between the energy transferred to a badguy from the bullet slowing down as it passes through versus the energy transferred by stopping in the badguy is negligible and probably pretty close to the ratio of static versus kinetic friction times the velocity difference between the stopped projectile and the "passing through" one - through the same media. In terms of energy, think about being hit by a car going 60mph and being hit by the same car but getting flushed underneath instead.

It's all good. Just make sure you hit the guy you're trying to run over!! i.e., It's shot placement that counts - regardless of the size of the hole or if there's two holes per shot. (front and back)

Disclaimer to physicists, engineers and hit & run victims: It's just a far fetched example!~
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

it was a metaphor...kind of like getting hit by bill gates vs. a heavy weight boxer..........and a vest is made to absorb and transfer all the energy, your body isnt, not like that....it may not put you on your ass, but there is no question that higher energy does more damage to a body.
    You did not use a metaphor or an analogy. And you are proving my point exactly. I do not think anyones body (that I know) would stop a 308 round at that distance, thus the bullet would cut right through depositing very little of its energy. This vest took all 1.25 foot tons and stopped it dead. For a bullet to pass through the only amount transferred would be calculated by the difference in kinetic energy just before entering the subject and immediately after exiting, the difference would be the amount transmitted.

Higher energy does not necessarily do more damage, especially when the projectile passes through and transmits very little energy. Placement is everything. However, I am not advocating carrying a .22 LR for defense. Just understand the myths and realities of what bullets do.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    or if there's two holes per shot. (front and back)
    another reason i dont want a heavier bullet.....i prefer an entry wound and not an exit wound...traveling into an innocent or bouncing off of something and going who knows where.....I am one of those people that doesnt buy into the whole "penetration is everything" line...the AVERAGE person isnt more than 18" thick front to back......and I'm not huge but im not scrawny either, and even shoulder to shoulder im only 22"....I will do everything i can to avoid pass through god forbid i ever need to use my firearm!

(Monroe County)

You did not use a metaphor or an analogy.
    excuse me...it was intended as a metaphor.....sorry mr. edwards..

(Allegheny County)

A bullet will knock you on your ass if put in the proper spot. The video shows nothing other than body armor defeating the bullet, a well placed shot is capable of putting someone right down.

(Chester County)

I only use 230gr. Its what they have plenty of at the shops, its what I practice with, so its what I carry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast